Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a drive shaft joint fail a few years ago on the highway and just split the rear case half of the rubicon tcase pretty good, was in another province for work at the time and needed the rig on the road so bought a used 231 off a local shop that had the sye kit and was a pretty easy swap, few years gone by now and im wondering if i want to repair the 4:1 case or keep the 231, i dont do much rock crawling but wouldnt mind checking out utah some day, its mostly all wooded trails and mud bogs in my area and 3ft of snow for 6months of the year
So does anyone have any info on how i could get a new rear case half for the case and if its going to be cost effective or if i should sell the broken case as parts and buy a teraflex or atlas case if i decide the 231 isnt cutting it
also curious if theres any info on wiring the 231 gear drive speedo into a rubicons wiring harness, just been going with no speedo since the swap i know what rpm in what gear is what speed so the tac works as a pretty good speedo but i wouldnt mind having cruise control back and being able to track miles on the odometer, is it as simple as matching the ground signal and 5v from each or does the PCM look for a different style of signal/pulse in the rubicons that had the magnetic speedo pickup

·
Administrator
10,540 Posts
Don't think we've had that particular situation discussed here. If you have deep pockets you can replace the t-case with an Atlas from Advance Adapters - either the 4 speed or 2 speed version. They might have details about how to deal with the speed sensor.

·
3,352 Posts
Although I've not tried to buy the parts you need, I'd suspect it would be difficult to find.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Have done the rear case half a couple times. When the TJ’s wreck on the drivers side it shoves the driveshaft back and breaks the case. Check with your local dealer for the part but I think they might be discontinued now. $4-500 if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah finding a rear case half for under 700$ canadian is probably not gonna happen.. ill look into welding it when i get my shop built and have room to buy a second welder with pulse AC tig

1 - 5 of 5 Posts