Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is on my 2005 LJR with 167,000 miles.

While troubleshooting some driveline vibrations I notice I can wiggle the output shaft flange side to side...up and down a noticeable amount. I also have a leaking rear seal.

It's not a great deal of movement, but if you wiggle the driveshaft it feels like a u-joint going bad. You can feel it click side to side. I've have this driveline in place for 161,000 of those miles and when checking u-joints in the past, I haven't felt this movement.

Is this normal movement for a well used t-case or should I just tear it down and rebuild it. I'd hate to go through the trouble only to find out a new output bearing does the same?

Question 2...if I just do the seal without pulling the case - I have concerns about the pin on the tone wheel. I won't know which direction the shaft has it pointed in. If it happens to be facing down, I understand the pin may just drop out? If that happens...is it retrievable in the rear housing or is it dropping into the main case?

I find it interesting the FSM makes no mention of ensuring the tone wheel is correctly installed when replacing the rear seal, considering how may people have had an issue with that being crushed.

· Administrator
12,311 Posts
We have a few posts here on ROF about transfer case issues but I can't remember if one of them matches your situation but have a look around. At 167K miles I suspect all running gear is suspect as is the suspension.

· Premium Member
3,364 Posts
I just went and checked for movement on my tcase. There is none, so thinking you know your issue.

not sure about a total rebuild, but if doing it ourself, may as well. doubt it would cost much more.
quick google and 100 bucks and done

no affiliation whatsoever with that link, just a quick search.

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies...especially checking on the wobble. That's key. I'm pretty sure I found the source of my vibration - the upper rear bolt of my rear long arm had sheared.

I have the rebuild kit, though I was considering just replacing the leaking rear seal if I can do it in the vehicle and see what I get. My main unknown is that speedometer tone ring pin. If it drops...can I retrieve it from the tail housing or is the transfer case going to have to come out to do so?

I think I have my answer though - if there's not supposed to be any side to side play...I'll be pulling and rebuilding it. It can only get worse and probably will ruin a new seal anyway.

The wife and I are off quite a bit by ourselves. I don't need to risk having a failure in the field.

Reactions: johncanfield
1 - 4 of 4 Posts