Rubicon Owners Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Guys. Quick update. We got the case together and all 4 gears work it was not obvious however the case really needs to be turned on the side and / or main shaft really needs the support of the tail shaft yoke and nut to seat the oil pump properly and allow for reliable 2WD operation. Got it sealed up now and will install tomorrow. Fingers crossed !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wish I had some useful pictures to share. I almost said everything was easy but started to recall the tough stuff so here are both:
Easy
Not bad removing from the Jeep
Removing most bearings with a slide hammer and blind puller. Had to dremel out the rear - front output shaft bearing
Disassembly, Cleaning and get almost everything back together is fairly straight forward. Use lots of carb cleaner and soft brass brush on drill to remove old sealant.
Rebuilt kit with chain was easy to locate about $275
Hard
Getting the cases apart Carefully, enough. I used nut and bolt on the factory ears to push the back apart and a cheap small razor to cut sealant around the case. Don’t stick a screw driver in to pry that would certainly damage the mating surfaces.
Really struggled 2-3 days trying to prove the main shaft and forks were positioned correctly. There is a method to this as far as starting in the right gear selector position, inserting with high-low fork then the selector shaft and finally 2wd - 4wd fork. Best advice is to test fit this. Don’t use the bolts to pull the case halves together. You may need a rubber mallet and some patience, Then put a few 3-4 bolts in ( no sealant yet ) lay the case down sideways and test shift each position and the output of the front / rear to be sure 2wd,4wd, neutral and finally 4 we works. Grab these and turn these with both hands to confirm neutral and all operation. Then stand it back up, carefully remove the cover with shifting the positions of the fork, prep again the final surface. When putting these together be sure the rear output speedometer lock pin hole is visible or the oil pump will not be fully engaged or something has moved. I ended up test fitting it probably 5 times after sealing it up wrong the first time. Then finally did with tranny gasket maker. Even the final time I thought man that doesn’t quit work until laid down and test shifted hard a couple times until the speedometer pin hole was visible enough. After a month mine runs great and is quiet. Shifts nicely makes little to no noise and no leaks. In fact I found out the rear carrier bearing was making half my noises. Still the old chain was stretched and rubbing the case, 2 bearings were in bad shape. One of my sons helped through the whole project ! We actually went Jeeping over the weekend and had a great time too !

Attachments

·
3,389 Posts
What did you use to seal the case?

21 - 26 of 26 Posts