Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2004 TJ Rubicon
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys - I posted this in another forum but didn't get any hits... I've been trying to track down this noise that I discovered coming from the front driveshaft output of the transfer case. I looked at an exploded parts diagram and figure it could be a sleeve, seal, or bearing. Sounds almost like a dry rubber squeal or maybe a dried up bearing. Jeep spent its youth in the mud but has been mud-free for several years now.

Reason I'm concerned is I'm going on a wheeling trip in a week and a half and want to make sure this isn't the beginning of a major issue.

Here is a video:

·
Registered
2004 TJ Rubicon
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's definitely not the driveshaft... I just replaced all the u-joints and centering ball and it's completely silent now!

Reactions: johncanfield

·
1,600 Posts
If repairing isn’t an option before your trip, I’d find a lubricant that is friendly to seals and load it up. I myself would go on the trip and not worry, but keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Sounds like a dry seal to me. I would spray some penetrating fluid in there to see if it changes.

·
3,522 Posts
I second the dry seal possibility. When my RJ60 was relatively new, the yoke seal was squeeky. A little lube fixed it right up.

·
Registered
2004 TJ Rubicon
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No I haven't checked the fluid yet... was about to change it but decided to hold off in case I needed to do some repair work. I actually don't believe I have ever changed the xfer case fluid. If I was just going to check it vs replace it, should there be fluid up to fill plug hole?

Ok so I'm glad you guys think it's a seal vs bearing. Here is the parts diagram I was looking at. Are you thinking it's #26 (4798125)?:

If so, it looks similar to a pinion seal... is it something I can replace without removing and disassembling the transfer case? In other words, just zip off the yoke, pull off the sleeve (I assume) and replace the seal with a seal puller?

To lube the seal without replacing, would I just spray some Fluid Film or similar into there without dissembling anything?

Reactions: Desert Dog

·
3,522 Posts
The easy lube is to spray WD40 or something with a straw. Try to get it as close to the seal lip as possible.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts