Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new Willys as delivered:

My plans are to run it stock....mostly. Just small mods to make it more functional.

To that end, the first mod was a Ram Mounts dsh mount for the JL. It's a 15 minute mod completed with a Phillips screwdriver. Fit was perfect....instalation super simple.....seems to work as intended .

One will be used as a phone mount and the other for a tablet running backcountry software.

·
Administrator
15,181 Posts
Congrats Hutch

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mac, I don't fit any better in this one than the last. But staying in NE Oregon like we do, there is so much opportunity to use a Jeep. Not so much a Challenger.

The other issue that helped with this trade was the fact that used cars are breaking the bank right now. The dealership gave $4000 more, hard money, for this trade than they offered me last May. Figured it was a good time.

I am going to have to figure out the headroom issue though.

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
RAM makes some great mounting solutions. That one is brilliant.

·
Administrator
15,181 Posts
Mac, I don't fit any better in this one than the last. But staying in NE Oregon like we do, there is so much opportunity to use a Jeep. Not so much a Challenger.

The other issue that helped with this trade was the fact that used cars are breaking the bank right now. The dealership gave $4000 more, hard money, for this trade than they offered me last May. Figured it was a good time.

I am going to have to figure out the headroom issue though.
Hutch....
have you looked into getting custom seats ... maybe custom brackets to lower seats?
forget who did that on their Rubi - it was a home crafted seat lowering project

I'm only 5'8'' and the gladiator seats are tight fit ....wish they went back a lil further and better lumbar support
Jeep should have used the Grand Cherokee seats in the truck

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My plans are to have the seat foam reduced some which seems to result in about an inch of increased headroom. If this is not enough, I've found a local shop that builds handbuilt tube chassis race cars. They should be able to help in the roll over protection area.

That part is going to be a bit of a project.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Added a Tuffy Security Enclosure this weekend.

Not 100%. sold on the quality of this product, but it seems functional and should at least keep honest people out. I did need something to secure "items" though because of the soft top, and this should work.

·
3,755 Posts
I've always like Tuffy products and regarded them as top quality. The only knock that I've had personally is that some items can be heavy.

·
Administrator
15,181 Posts
Added a Tuffy Security Enclosure this weekend.

Not 100%. sold on the quality of this product, but it seems functional and should at least keep honest people out. I did need something to secure "items" though because of the soft top, and this should work.
Hutch.... i had several tuffy boxes...the best one was the collapsable one that still allowed some locked storage or on trips i would expand 100%
not sure they still make that box.
Good to see your making modifications ...i'm interested in what you pick for the seat solution

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't really have much planned other than a few functional mods. I've got a bumper and winch coming. I bought some lights from my son and will have a couple of A Pilar mounts and a small light bar on the bumper. I hadn't really planned on any aftermarket lights but he had these NIB and he is out of work, so Dad bought them from him. That's what we do as parents I think!

I have a set of 3/4" spacers to go in if the front sags too much following the bumper install.

Sadly, for me anyway, I am no longer able to work much on this. The security box taxed my back and I'm going to have the heavy stuff installed by a shop. There is a local one that does decent work, so I'll give them a try. It's bad enough that today we did not go for a Jeep ride. I didn't think I could make it to the Jeep after putting the cover on my outside stove. Some days it just sucks, but it could be worse.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Today was the day!

$370 later, it's installed and everything seems to work correctly. One part of me says that is way too much money to spend having work done I used to be able to do myself. The other part of me, my back in particular, says that's a hell of a deal. I think I'm going to side with my back on this one! In the end I know I would have suffered a lot of pain, and at this point I will gladly trade some bucks for that lack of pain!

I also took this picture, but the light was bad and the image sucks. But I wonder if one of you steely eyed Jeep guys can spot one other "mod" on this Jeep? I do this to every Jeep I buy now, but it's not much of a mod.

Probably spent all the money I'm going to on this until spring. Just going to enjoy it for the next few months.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Today was the day!

$370 later, it's installed and everything seems to work correctly. One part of me says that is way too much money to spend having work done I used to be able to do myself. The other part of me, my back in particular, says that's a hell of a deal. I think I'm going to side with my back on this one! In the end I know I would have suffered a lot of pain, and at this point I will gladly trade some bucks for that lack of pain!

I also took this picture, but the light was bad and the image sucks. But I wonder if one of you steely eyed Jeep guys can spot one other "mod" on this Jeep? I do this to every Jeep I buy now, but it's not much of a mod.

Probably spent all the money I'm going to on this until spring. Just going to enjoy it for the next few months.
Stubby antenna?

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Jeep is in the shop today for a set of 1" spacers and longer lower control arms. The bumper and winch caused the front end to sag about 7/8" so the spacers should bring the front back to stock. Pics to follow....

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have the Jeep back and the money was well spent. The longer LCAs have improved the tracking...it feels even better than after the new steering box. It appears the spacers have restored it to factory height.

This picture is a little misleading as the front axle is sitting on a high spot, but the tire to fender gap is virtually th same as the one taken in the showroom when new.

All in all, I'm pretty pleased with this mod.

But in addition, being as tall as I am, the front end sag caused some real visibility issues. I struggled to see stoplights in intersections, it was harder to see out the side windows, and even long distance scenery was hard to see. I know this is hard to visualize for the normal size person, but imagine sitting in the seat with the sun. visor down so you have to bend your neck to see under the visor. After the winch/bumper install, that's what I dealt with all the time.

With the installation of the spacers, my view is back to stock....and that alone made the cost worth while.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Today was the day!

For more information about winches please visit the website here https://jeepequipment.com/12000-lb-winches
Great foto. I'm just wondering when you installed your front bumper did you have to relocate your vacuum pump?

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had this one installed, but, I put the same bumper myself on my '18 JL and did not have to relocate anything. It was a strait bolt on.

·
3,755 Posts
My plans are to have the seat foam reduced some which seems to result in about an inch of increased headroom. If this is not enough, I've found a local shop that builds handbuilt tube chassis race cars. They should be able to help in the roll over protection area.

That part is going to be a bit of a project.
Have you fixed your seat height issue yet? More products are becoming available for JL/JT seats: SEAT SLAMMERS (2018-2022 JEEP WRANGLER JL, JLU, & GLADIATOR)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts