Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are looking at or have a 3.6 that seems to have a noisy lifter, well it does kind of.
The 3.6 in our Jeeps is the same engine FCA puts in everything and it really is a good engine but from time to time some will develop a tick. Weather this is a result of lack of maintenance or just a component failure I cannot say.
The Camshaft in head design uses lash adjusters that are little hydraulic lifters. They rarely cause problems. It's the follower or rocker that has the problem. The roller portion rides on needle bearings that will disintegrate and the new clearance will allow the stamped steel portion to wear on the camshaft itself.

You can see what happens here. You need Camshafts and followers for a repair. It is about a 4 hour repair, you don't have to remove the head for the repair and if you are a little handy you can do it at home. Auto part Metal
Auto part Metal Wheel

·
Super Moderator
3,837 Posts
yes. Good write up, but hoping not to need it (esp since I am debating another JKU or JLU/JT)

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it is a pentastar. This is something that is known but considering how many of these engines are in cars, trucks, and jeeps it wouldn't woŕry me.

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Registered
773 Posts
Long time no post... I am in the process of doing this to my 2013 JK with 120k miles, it is a pain in the ass just to let everyone know. Not hard, just a lot to undo, unbolt, disconnect and remove before you even get to the parts that need replaced.
Caught early so no cam damage, actually only two rockers failed and cam damage was from the frame not the roller on one lobe, the other must have just started because no damage at all to the lobe. But the rollers were toast on both.

Going slow its a couple hours to replace the parts and do the actual repair, I spent about 4 just getting everything off to get to the heads, which also includes some extra since Im replacing the leaking oil filter housing while Ive got it apart. . I'm changing every rocker and lifter since Ive got 120k and the parts have been redesigned for the rockers a couple of times as I understand it.

With the ebay cam holding tools and all new rocker and lifters, gaskets its about $450 in parts

I busted the air box so I thought Id research with my favorite Jeep board on CAI for JKs.

·
Super Moderator
3,837 Posts
Steve - how did you figure out that there was a problem? Are the new parts an improved version from Mopar? If so, did the factory use the revised parts on a factory model (what years)?

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have not seen any information on upgraded parts. The P/N may have a change up number but I have not looked.
There isn't a particular year that is suspect. Even JL's that have the upgraded valve train have had some problems. I have a 2020 apart right now.
If you pay attention and hear a slight engine tick you sometimes can save the camshaft but most times when you hear it the cam is gone. If left too long it will trigger a miss fire code.
Hemi engines are known for this also. Whether it is a component failure, a wear item or a result due to lack of maintenance is debatable.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Steve - how did you figure out that there was a problem? Are the new parts an improved version from Mopar? If so, did the factory use the revised parts on a factory model (what years)?
Sound.
It was noisy ticking, found the passenger side was very noisy with stethoscope.

The replacements from Melling looked, visually, to be the exact same as the OEMs that I took out. Ive read that the metallurgy has changed because part numbers are different, also manufacturing style changed, no proof of either.
They did last 100K miles plus. The noise I noticed last year, my fault for not dealing with it earlier, might have saved me some time and money working on it earlier...

As I said it was a pain in the ass.

I found 3 bad lifters and two bad rockers. I replaced everything all the rockers and lifters.
Put it all together and had a misfire... a bent valve caused by carbon build on the worst rocker arm passenger side was problem, no compression, so I took it apart thinking I mossed something, ran comp test, ... So... three weeks later Im back together and running. A shop probably could have done it in a couple days but I just worked when I had time- I have multiple vehicles so no pressure.
Did I say it was a pain in the ass?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts