Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post so... rough me up if I get stupid and should have put this under drivetrain :twisted: ??
This is my 3rd Wrangler (87, 97 & 03 Rubi) but my first automatic transmaission. When I accelerate from a stop I can hear (and feel) a slight thump under the vehicle :? . It's pretty consistant (not intermittent) and I would hate to let it go and "pay the price". I have not heard a reply on this (on the yahoo group site) and am very glad I have found this forum. I cannot tell if this is a u joint problem but would be surprised with only 5600 miles on the Rubicon. Do you all have any suggestions?
Thanks, Larry
03 Red Rubicon - (4.0 Automatic w/ Full Banks exhaust, Jet stage2, K & N, rock crawler front & rear bumpers)

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Have you been able to pinpoint the location of the noise?

that will help determine what parts are in the area.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems to come either from under the drivers seat or console. It did this before I put the Gale Banks header / cat back system on so i am fairly sure it is not in the exhaust.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
Could be a loose control arm. Does it do it when you take off? What about when you stop?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
First off Welcome to the board. You will never have to worry about getting flamed cause something is not exactly where it should be. And there is not thing as a dumb question here on the forum.

Can you provide us with all the parts that you have put on and what you have taken off and reinstalled. I know that you said it was there before the exhaust but if the tranny skid was removed for the exhaust it my be tranny mount. Let us know what you have done...It will help with the process.. Also PICS PICS PICS..We have hungry Pic Whores on this board..Including myself.. :wink:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I noticed this after the snow cleared in mid April here in Michigan (3500 miles). Nothing was removed, reinstalled or added to the Jeep at that time. it was bone stock. In early July I installed a Gale Banks header and cat back system, Jet stage 2 performance chip and front and rear rock crawler style bumpers. I also removed the stock air box and added a K & N air filter (4500 miles).
I hear this noise when I take off (accelerate) from a stop and not when I am rolling to a stop. I only here the normal "tire howl" as the vehicle slows.
After reviewing some of your posts I am concerned that my "simple" PVC ti K & N filter may not be cool enough as most cold air intake systems (Airaid, K&N FIPK) seem to stay clear of the motor. I will attach some pictures in the Rubi-rides including a couple of the engine compartment. Thanks for youe time guys (and gals)...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts