Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a 2005 Rubicon LJ, just replaced the 5 year old battery, it would just click when turning the key. Now with the new battery it does nothing. The dash lights will come on but that’s it, it does absolutely nothing when I turn the key. The gauge needles don’t even move. I’ve done the cluster check and it cycles through as it’s supposed to. Is there an ignition fuse that I’m not aware of?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Get your test light out. does it have power and solenoid signal at the starter?

Reactions: Norminator

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve got a 2005 Rubicon LJ, just replaced the 5 year old battery, it would just click when turning the key. Now with the new battery it does nothing. The dash lights will come on but that’s it, it does absolutely nothing when I turn the key. The gauge needles don’t even move. I’ve done the cluster check and it cycles through as it’s supposed to. I'm getting P0685 and P0688 OBD Codes too. Is there an ignition fuse that I’m not aware of?

·
1,736 Posts
As rlenglish wrote, a test light will show power supply or breakage. I’ve had similar issues three times. One was starter. One was Sentry key when they tried to steal it. One was PCM. The starter seems like the place to investigate first.

Reactions: Mouse

·
Registered
417 Posts
I’ve got a 2005 Rubicon LJ, just replaced the 5 year old battery, it would just click when turning the key. Now with the new battery it does nothing. The dash lights will come on but that’s it, it does absolutely nothing when I turn the key. The gauge needles don’t even move. I’ve done the cluster check and it cycles through as it’s supposed to. Is there an ignition fuse that I’m not aware of?
Do you have an auto or manual transmission?
I seem to remember that they had a problem with the position switch for the clutch pedal failing, which would cause the "no crank" issue.
Of course a defective NSS would have similar issues with the auto.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I’ve got a 2005 Rubicon LJ, just replaced the 5 year old battery, it would just click when turning the key. Now with the new battery it does nothing. The dash lights will come on but that’s it, it does absolutely nothing when I turn the key. The gauge needles don’t even move. I’ve done the cluster check and it cycles through as it’s supposed to. I'm getting P0685 and P0688 OBD Codes too. Is there an ignition fuse that I’m not aware of?
I replied to your other post, but here's some more info on the starter wiring:

starting.PNG
start2.PNG

There are fuses and relays in the PDC under the hood for the starting system, also there are fuses in the fuse block located behind/inside the glove box.

·
3,602 Posts
NSS - my guess is neutral safety switch

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
Since it hasn’t been asked, did the OP remove the plastic cover on the battery terminals? Sounds silly but, If it was doing something before the battery change, start at the battery connection. Is the battery any good?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Haven't heard anything back yet.
Hopefully he has looked at the two links in reference to the trouble codes, and is working through them.
They give step by step instructions on what and how to check various components of the system. I believe battery voltage is the first step.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts