Rubicon Owners Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
So whats my point here? Some people have predetermined ideas as to what they should cover under warranty. They feel they have the power and exercise it as they see fit. It is not fair and most of the time you will lose when you run into someone like that. Not all dealerships will be like that but many are. Assuming the risk of no warranty is just part of modifying your Jeep.
Wow, quite the story. Mine, if written, would be at least 10x longer unfortunately. However, my particular Heep had zero modifications (unless you count grab handles and Mopar seat covers). In light of your all-too-typical Chrysler experience (5-Star or not), the WMD would no doubt state those grab handles put undo stress on the block's piss-poor machining to cause cam and lifter failures. :spin:

·
Registered
605 Posts
Wow, quite the story. Mine, if written, would be at least 10x longer unfortunately. However, my particular Heep had zero modifications (unless you count grab handles and Mopar seat covers). In light of your all-too-typical Chrysler experience (5-Star or not), the WMD would no doubt state those grab handles put undo stress on the block's piss-poor machining to cause cam and lifter failures. :spin:
Sorry to hear they werent helpful for you either. Warranty is up for me now so it doesn matter.

A quick second story from the 5 star dealer i bought the jeep from new.

The upper body bushings were cracked on the left side from the factory. No idea why but they were like that before i bought it. So i brought to the dealer to show them and set an appt for replacement. They said ok that it was under warranty. I told them i was going to do a body lift on it over the weekend and asked them if they could just supply the bushings and i would install them myself. They would not but went on to tell me the body lift would void the warranty on the body bushings even if they were cracked before i did the body lift. Huhhh? They documented the cracks before I did the body lift but wont replace a factory defect on a vehicle with 21 miles on it a week later?

Well, i actually won that time and argued until they agreed to look the other way on the body lift.

·
Premium Member
4,017 Posts
Not to highjack, but another moron dealer story regarding warranty....

Years ago my the plastic on my heat/AC knob cracked where it slides onto the shaft, so it was just spinning.
I took the Jeep to the service department to get it fixed and they said I'd have to leave it so they could check it out.
I had the knob in my hand, showed them what was wrong and asked if they could just give me one and I'd put it on.
They said no, they needed to do a complete check on the heat/AC system.
So I told them I would just buy one, went over to the parts department and got one for about $14.
Ten seconds after returning to the Jeep it was fixed.
Idiots.

·
Jeepless in PA
12,585 Posts
Not to highjack, but another moron dealer story regarding warranty....

Years ago my the plastic on my heat/AC knob cracked where it slides onto the shaft, so it was just spinning.
I took the Jeep to the service department to get it fixed and they said I'd have to leave it so they could check it out.
I had the knob in my hand, showed them what was wrong and asked if they could just give me one and I'd put it on.
They said no, they needed to do a complete check on the heat/AC system.
So I told them I would just buy one, went over to the parts department and got one for about $14.
Ten seconds after returning to the Jeep it was fixed.
Idiots.

LOL.

I glued mine into the shaft.

·
Registered
112 Posts
So whats my point here? Some people have predetermined ideas as to what they should cover under warranty. Assuming the risk of no warranty is just part of modifying your Jeep.
I feel your pain....

My Jeep was already lifted when I bought it. Not only that, but it was lifted BY THE DEALERSHIP'S OWNER!

I bought the Jeep & paid a transfer fee....my local dealership had to go out to get the VIN off the dash, and so KNEW the Jeep was lifted....no mention that anything would not be covered then.

The Chrysler rep told me NOTHING would be covered, but the local guy said they would....So I asked if the trans went out they wouldn't blame the plow?...and he said no....which is why I didn't demand my money back.

So Chrysler won't back the mods of their OWN dealerships...let alone any we make...:mad:

·
Registered
5 Posts
A dealer or manufacturer has no legal standing to void a warranty based on after-market changes to a product per the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.
I totally agree. Read that link and we all will get a learning. The burden is on the dealer to prove the lift parts caused the unreasonable wear. It is just frustrating that you have to go to court to force them. I suspect that once the lawsuit was received, they would relent.

·
Registered
422 Posts
For the new JKUW, I am intentionally taking it to a Jeep dealer for inspections/service work that that happens to also be an AEV authorized service and install center. They mod them up as soon as they roll off the truck from the factory. Lifts, bumpers, wheels, snorkels you name it.

Although I didn't ask, I highly doubt they'd pull any of the deny warranty because of mods tactics.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts