Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) confirmed that the Jeep Wrangler will be offered with a diesel engine, a hybrid powertrain and as a pickup truck.

FCA made the announcement during its 2014-2018 business plan update, which revised some of the initial plans laid out back in 2014.

The brand has confirmed that the next-generation Jeep Wrangler, which is set to debut in 2017, will feature both next-gen powertrains, mild hybrid technology and a diesel engine option. In around 2022, the Wrangler will adopt a full hybrid system rather than the mild hybrid setup it will get for the 2018 model year.

No details on the diesel engine or hybrid variants were discussed, though there’s a good possibility that the diesel will be the 3.0-liter unit already used in the Ram and Grand Cherokee.

These new powertrains are coming to the iconic Jeep because FCA needs to meet strict average fuel economy and CO2 requirements. Along with the updated powertrains, high-strength steel and alternative materials will be used to help reduce weight, active aerodynamic systems will be employed and axle disconnect and electric steering systems will be used, all in an effort to save fuel.

Jeep sales hit record levels in 2015 and FCA wants to take full advantage of that. The brand is now targeting 2 million Jeep sales by 2018, a strategy that will involve new products, including a Jeep Wrangler-based pickup truck along with the large Grand Wagoneer. A timeline for the new truck was not announced, though it will certainly be after 2017 when the next-generation Wrangler launches.

Read More Here: http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2016/01/the-next-gen-jeep-wrangler-will-have-diesel-hybrid-and-pickup-truck-variants.html

·
904 Posts
I am really really interested in the "Truck" that is to come. I am just hoping Fiat didn't have their hands in the designing like the Renegade. I also hope it's an actual truck and not just a JK with a bed. What I mean by this is it needs to compete with the Nissan Frontier and the Toyota Tacoma. Should be able to actually tow 5,000 - 8,000 lbs with a payload of 1,000 lbs, and a 5 1/2 ft bed or whatever the standard compact truck size bed is. I been in the market for a truck and the new 2017 F250 has me really interested but this ... might work depending on the specs.

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
I would much rather see Fiat/Chrysler move to a higher ground of quality design and build with the brag... good as a Toyota.

A quality check might be, is the shifter grommet still plastic?
It will probably be a button. Then said button won't activate the transfer case shift mechanism due to a software 'update' the dealer loads up on your Jeep. Of course you won't know this will happen until you are 14 hours from home at the base of a beautiful Colorado mountain pass trail.

That happened to me last October. That Jeep was sold in November since it made me so mad. Bought a Toyota to replace it. The Toyota slips into low range no problem. Yeah, I'm still bitter :kiss:

·
904 Posts
I would much rather see Fiat/Chrysler move to a higher ground of quality design and build with the brag... good as a Toyota.

A quality check might be, is the shifter grommet still plastic?
The only issue I see with the Jeep "Truck" is if they make a full size version it would be a direct competitor for the Ram 1500. Sad thing is if they brought back the J20/J10 look with modern technology and a Hemi or the new EcoDiesel I bet they would sell a lot better than the Ram 1500.

This is why I think the jeep truck needs to be in the midsize range and a direct competitor to the Frontier, Tacoma, and Colorado. Hell Ford is rumored to be bring back the Ranger (right ... like they said they would the Bronco).

The only thing I fear is that Fiat is going to design it, thus resulting in it being ugly as ^%$# like the Renegade. Or, Jeep really is going to just slap a bed on a JK and thus making it a factory Brute, again worthless in terms of a practical truck. The biggest issue I run into with my jeep and even the JKU is the limited towing ability. No, it's not a truck but it sure would be nice to tow a 4,500lb bass boat, trailer, equipment, and whatever else with the jeep.

Yeah, I'm still bitter :kiss:
Couldn't tell :grin2:

·
Administrator
10,678 Posts
Interesting.

The 2.0 Liter engine requires 91 octane, the other engine listed in the specs was a 3.7L engine - it looks like both are gasoline and not diesel.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I think fca is still having some emission problems with the diesel. The dealers don't even have a fix to repair the pre-investigation 3.0's yet. When you look at all the options that will be available I wonder what a loaded sticker price will be?

·
3,382 Posts
Interesting.

The 2.0 Liter engine requires 91 octane, the other engine listed in the specs was a 3.7L engine - it looks like both are gasoline and not diesel.

Reports are that there is a fuse for glow plugs and the dash has a glow plug light. The diesel might not be available immediately but looks like it is coming at some point.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts