Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A new GP100 followed me home today.

Sorry for the crappy image, but in reality, it is a hammer. It is not meant to be pretty, nor is it meant to act as a finely crafted custom built piece of machinery.

It is a tool to go in the Jeep for general purpose use. If it gets scratched or otherwise defaced.....oh well, it is a tool. In that respect it is much like a Jeep.

Some may wonder why a revolver from Ruger in 357? I believe that Ruger makes a fine firearm....not a work of art, but rather much more industrial in design and execution than a Smith. But, they go bang every time you pull the trigger. And as a tool, that is very important.

In my younger days, I used to discount the 357 as a useful tool. A few years ago I purchased a 6" version of the GP100 and really learned to like both the caliber and the gun. For me at this point in my life, it might just be the perfect fit for the intended task.

Should have a couple of hundred rounds through it after the weekend......more to follow.

·
Premium Member
4,021 Posts
Nice! Excellent revolver.. no need to justify the make.
The very first gun I bought on my own was a GP100 .357 Magnum 6" stainless. I got it thirty years ago and it probably would be the last possession I would ever part with.

Just a couple days ago I loaded up the hottest 158gr rounds allowable according to the Speer reloading manual and fired off a few in the backyard... what a hoot!

Here's mine (with my other Rugers… a 1911 will be added Monday)

Attachments

·
Administrator
15,105 Posts
A new GP100 followed me home today.

Sorry for the crappy image, but in reality, it is a hammer. It is not meant to be pretty, nor is it meant to act as a finely crafted custom built piece of machinery.

It is a tool to go in the Jeep for general purpose use. If it gets scratched or otherwise defaced.....oh well, it is a tool. In that respect it is much like a Jeep.

Some may wonder why a revolver from Ruger in 357? I believe that Ruger makes a fine firearm....not a work of art, but rather much more industrial in design and execution than a Smith. But, they go bang every time you pull the trigger. And as a tool, that is very important.

In my younger days, I used to discount the 357 as a useful tool. A few years ago I purchased a 6" version of the GP100 and really learned to like both the caliber and the gun. For me at this point in my life, it might just be the perfect fit for the intended task.

Should have a couple of hundred rounds through it after the weekend......more to follow.
I have one ( stainless 4" ) it`s my downtown tool

:wink2:

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was not able to test this on our trip....newfire rules instituted Friday morning. The FS does not want general shooting due to the fire danger.

Guess I'll have to go to the range this week.

·
Administrator
10,689 Posts
We're really dry here as well, last week a fire started on my brother in law's ranch about an hour north of me. Supposedly started by a fence crew. It burned about 1500 acres (not all on his property.)

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, it's getting bad. I have a friend who lives in Lakeport, CA and is now under a mandatory evacuation. He is staying in his motorhome 100 miles away.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts