Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help me out here. I need some opinions on what tires to put on my rig.
Mods so far: Currently have an OME HD suspension, Bulletproof front bumper w/Warn 8000 winch, rear homemade bumper with rear tire carrier, and the 4low bypass is complete. It is the hard top version.
I am struggling the most to decide on 33's or 35's. Second struggle is which tire. Third struggle is bias or radial. This vehicle is a daily driver that will be rode hard and put up wet on the weekends. One fact to take note of is that I will be leaving Alaska to live in El Paso for nine months
(read Las Cruces/BIG ROCKS!) After that I have no clue in God's name where the Army will send me. Probably a very sandy place, if you know what I mean. Wheeling in Alaska is mostly trails, mud, hills, or any combination of the above. I am leaning at this point towards 33x12.50 MTR's on 15 inch alloys. I also like the Baja Claw Bias in the same size. I am willing to do a 1"BL/MM combo for the 33's. I believe I can make use of this plus some bumpstop play to fit a smaller type 35, like say in a radial. I have not ruled out keeping the stock rims. Any thoughts, opinions?

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
My opinion: I would steer you towards 33" tires. Stay with a mud tire and a radial design. I really have not made any decisions on which tire is best, been wheeling for 30+ years. They all seem to do well. My plans are to go with a Pro-Comp MT when the Goodyears wear out.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I too would have to agree with Griz... Go with a 33" tire..

I am going with the Interco TrXus...........www.intercotire.com

I don't know much about them but I have heard good things. and @ $115US per tire I am willing to give them a try.

·
Registered
78 Posts
115 a tire??

Hey lilrdjp I was wondering where you found the trxus for 115 a tire and what size?? I want to go with a set of 35's for daily driver and im considering these for that price that'd be great.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I am not sure where you would get them in the US. I got mine from National 4wd in Toronto for $205 CDN..

I will ask my parts supplier where I can find them in the US and post the link here.

On thing with the TrXus is that all you will need is 34's as they are a true 34" which is bigger then some 35's.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey guys, first post on this forum :D
Just wanted to know why you would suggest 33 over 35? I am trying to make the same decision. I have the teraflex t4s and tera advertised that they will fit. Does anyone have this lift? thanks for the help :wink:

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
A-Teamer....Welcom to the board

33's or 35's is going to be your choice. If you are looking at a Daily Driver set up then I would suggest 33's. This will be a little eaiser on gas and a hell of a lot easier to park in the covered parking lots if need be.

It all depends what you are going to do with you JP. With a Tera 4" I would suggest 33's. They will fit nice. They are not going to be to big when you Flex.

JMO.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you want to read way more than you ever wanted to know about 33" vs 35" tires there are a couple of threads on the Rubicon page over at JU. It's pretty aggravating to read and much of it is just personal preference and conjecture mixed in with a bunch of flaming. But you can get some ideas of what different people are using for different purposes.

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
i vote 33'' you wont regret the choice.

·
Registered
43 Posts
id go 33's as well, until you need the 35's. i like the compound on the procomp MT's. they holler on the road though. also, in the dry it seems
they chuck lugs easier than some harder rubber, on the rocks. but i like
the grip.

Bilbo
Bugbear

·
Registered
43 Posts
id go 33's as well, until you need the 35's. i like the compound on the procomp MT's. they holler on the road though. also, in the dry it seems
they chuck lugs easier than some harder rubber, on the rocks. but i like
the grip.

Bilbo
Bugbear

1 - 11 of 11 Posts