Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone getting this?

This is the first vehicle I have ever bought off the showroom floor. And it is doing something I've never seen. Rubi has less than 300 miles. In the morning, I have noticed water/black carbon discharge from the exhaust pipe. And a pretty good deal. An Oz. or two.

This does not seem to be slowing down any.

Is this normal? The carbon deposits stain the garage floor. Ideas?

Bilbo
LasvEgas

G

·
0 Posts
I'm at 5,700 miles and mine still does it. I deal with high humidity down here, but I also have the hesistation problem that will be looked at this week. There might be some correlation between the two, and I will keep a eye on it after they adjust me cam sensor this week. It does leave a nice carbon stain on the garage floor. Luckily mine is a painted floor, so it cleans right off.

Ron

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
Bilbo...
HEY NEIGHBOR!!!!!!

i dont have a problem with tail pipe drainage..3700 mi.
is some black stuff on very end of tail pipe.

mac

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
The water is condensation coming out of the cold exhaust. My Rubi exhibits the same condition. This is our 4th Jeep with the 4.0L engine, and I have to say they all seemed to do this, although it seems more noticeable on the Rubi.

My driveway is too dirty to check how black it is.

Jerry

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
great. thanks for the replies. it sounds like this problem is actually a
design feature, so im not going to trip out over this just yet.

stich. i dont have the hesitation problem yet. but mines an auto, and i
think you mentioned yours is a 5-spd.

mac. i just PM'd you with my info.

Bilbo79
LasvEgas

G

·
0 Posts
:) Tail pipes (any tail pipe) have been doing this for ever. That's why your exhaust system doesn't last as long if you are driving short distances and shutting down the engine and all that moisture from the cold exhaust sits in your pipes.. Longer drives allow the pipes to dry out which saves on the pipes. 8)

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Could this have anything to do with all the pre cats and other emission crap. I have always had it in Canada but with all the new add on's maybe it is more noticable in the southern areas now.

G

·
0 Posts
LILRDJP said:
Could this have anything to do with all the pre cats and other emission crap. I have always had it in Canada but with all the new add on's maybe it is more noticable in the southern areas now.
No.
The products of combustion are CO2 and water. Your engine is always producing water. When it and the exhaust system is hot it exits as a colorless vapor (steam). But when the exhaust system is cool it condenses and comes out as water. Every car and truck does it.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Latemarch said:
LILRDJP said:
No.
The products of combustion are CO2 and water. Your engine is always producing water. When it and the exhaust system is hot it exits as a colorless vapor (steam). But when the exhaust system is cool it condenses and comes out as water. Every car and truck does it.
I understand the products of combustion and I also know that every vehicle condenses water. I also know that this is more likely to be seen in colder areas then warmer ones....But is it possible that with the pre cats that it is cooling it the exhaust to the point that the condensation is seen easier in the warmer climate areas. It would be interesting to see the exhaust temperature differences between a 2K JP and a 2003 JP with new emission standards.

Sean

1 - 9 of 9 Posts