Rubicon Owners Forum banner

What should I buy

• See if I can buy back my original TJ Rubicon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Buy a used TJ Rubicon from here

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Wait a little and buy a 2 door JL Rubicon with 35s from the factory

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Wait until Ford figures out how to product a Hard Top and get the Bronco Badlands with 35s

Votes: 0 0.0%

New Old Member

5K views 53 replies 11 participants last post by  mac 
#1 ·
I probably should add short, bald and fatter to the description as well, with a nasty middle finger twitch towards picture takers.

It's been ages since I posted on here and I gotta say, it feels good to be back.

I sold my Rubicon years ago due to some medical issues, that made driving it near impossible, as well as supporting the required maintenance. 4 hip surgeries with some permanent nerve damage really knocked me down for a while. It's been years now, and I am riding my motorcycle again and keep thinking about getting another 4x4.
When the new Bronco was revealed, I have to admit I was/am intrigued. It seems like a solid beast which has a Rubicon equivalent called the Badlands. Problem is I just don't think IFS would work for me. I am a Rock Crawler. In fact, I am a pretty extreme Rock Crawler and I know, at some point I will want to stick a SFA under a Bronco. At that point, why bother with it, when I can get another Rubicon. But competition is good, and it looks like the Bronco has finally pushed jeep to add 35s as a stock option for the Rubicon in MY22.
This brings me to my dilemma, so I created a poll to get some ideas.

Anyway, don't feel any pity for me, while I don't have a jeep at the moment, I have been driving the following for a little over 4 years. I kind of figure if I can get in and out of this, I should be able to climb into a lifted Rubicon.

Alright folks, let me have it.
:ROFLMAO:

See less See more
#2 ·
Lets see...Buy a JL with air and all the features, with a 392 one so you can tow your highly modded TJ.

#4 ·
I wish I had that type of money. If I did, I would literally check all of the above in my Poll. Cause More Toys = More Fun.

If you are into hard core crawling, go for a buggy or a highly modified LJ. The LJ has just about the perfect wheelbase length as is or push the front and rear axles out a couple of inches for better takeoff and departure angles.
I thought of that, but I do not have the space or skills to maintain a dedicated buggy. The LJ is definitely the mecca of wheelbase. It's funny, the 2Dr Bronco is darn close to that wheelbase, but... IFS How hard are parts for TJs? Looks like the original lockers and pumps are needing to be converted to ARBs on the TJ rubicons because of that.
I had extended the wheelbase on my old Rubicon with my Clayton Long Arm kit. I had the triangulated rear and the 3 link front.
I'll have to create a showcase for it.

#3 ·
If you are into hard core crawling, go for a buggy or a highly modified LJ. The LJ has just about the perfect wheelbase length as is or push the front and rear axles out a couple of inches for better takeoff and departure angles.

Reactions: mac
#5 ·
The PCM for the '05/'06 TJ-LJ engine is unobtanium, there is a guy repairing them (Wrangler Fix), reports are good. I think the OPDA and cam position sensor are still available but some sensors are not. More and more parts are going to be orphaned. I have some very well heeled wheeling friends (as in mucho dinero) that wheel an LJ that was stripped and rebuilt. It's much easier to modify than a JK or maybe later models.

An LJ with a hemi or an LS is the ultimate wheeling package in my opinion.

#14 ·
One reason I went 5.3 LS swap, they will be supported long after the venerable 4.0L

#6 ·
Buy my airocked 04 TJ and I will even throw in a complete engine 6 speed transmissionftom my 06 LJ. You know you will never be happyeith them newfangled jeeps. I dont drive the TJ much with 2 LS LJs.

#9 ·
Is this the current build?

#10 ·
6" airock, rela, swaylock, uturn, 4.88 gears, medic engine skid, younger brothers diff skids, skidrow radiator skid, warn power stearing skid, tom woods driveshaft, kilby/york oba, JKS BL, MML, front and rear adjustable trackbars, led interior lights, aftermarket sound, h4 headlight conversion, painless aux fusebox, rockhard front/rear bumpers with tire carrier, 35" bfg MT (under 3k miles, on steel wheels). 4 wheeles have 1/4" steel rock rings and staun internal beadlocks, 5th is steel spare with used MT tire. Jeeperman side steps/rock rails. Smittybilt winch is dead, not sure it can be fixed but comes with synthetic line. MCAI air intake, Hard top (great condition but needs new gas lifters) and soft top and duster in good workable condition. Spintech muffler and other things... under 90k miles. I also will supply a full 4l and 6 speed transmission as spare parts, including starter, radiator, kilby plate with york compressor, alternator, manifold, cats... i will also supply a second set of radflo shocks (need to be rebuilt), and I think I have new spare airbags. Bags were replaced 2 years ago, so have plenty of life left (last bags lasted 14 years). Lets take price talks offline. I will pm you my phone number.

#11 ·
I remember you Elf. Intense blue rubi, air rock and all the cool do dads that made me sell my 05
TJ and buy an 03 intense blue rubi too.

I think an LJ would be awesome. I’m actually just considering buying an LJ frame and swapping my TJ onto it.

took a rental JL across country a few weeks ago and it was like driving a Cadillac compared to my lifted TJ

#16 ·
It has been a while indeed, one less middle finger exposed to the public. 🤣 Those intense blue TJRs are few and rare to be seen these days. My opinion... build a LJ and paint it Intense Blue. The LJ is likely the best platform to build period.

Welcome back and glad to hear you are doing better. My father has had some nerve issues in his back and it’s been life altering for him. He is doing better but what he experienced was some awful pain and still having some issues to this day. I remember years ago when you had some motor issues and I suggested a LS swap but you sad no. lol. I got a LS3 installed finally in mine and couldn’t be happier. There are some sweet rigs out there so good luck with the search and have fun with the build.

#17 ·
Thanks. Good to see some familiar names. I appreciated someone understand the physical battle I went through. I'll probably never be perfect again as well, but, compared to how I was, I am totally content with being good enough.

I'm keeping it quiet for now, but I think the lack-0-jeep situation is solved with a TJ Rubicon that just screams my name.
Stay Tuned.
😉

This weekend, my one greyhound got body checked by the other greyhound while chasing a squirrel. The tree trunk had a stub sticking out that did a number on her.
Here is what the wound looked like initially

But once the vet shaved the fur down, it turned out to be a pretty significant gash, so she is resting up in the cone of shame after a minor surgery to stitch her up.

This is why I have pet insurance. If I see that squirrel again, I may introduce him to one of my broad head tipped arrows.
😒

#18 ·
awe the humility of the cone!

#19 ·
Poor pup :(. I can think of a politician that needs a cone.

Our 75 pound lab and our 40 pound heeler were running and playing and ran right into the back of my wife in the 'yard' (we have a ranch). She fell, put her arm out to break the fall and broke her wrist. This was a Thursday, the following Tuesday she had knee joint replacement scheduled. That got postponed for a couple of months.

#20 ·
Just 1 politician? :)

Ouchy, You need good arms to work the crutches/cane depending on what stage of recovery.
That is definitely a situation that calls for the expression, you gotta be kidding me, or what's next?

#21 ·
John, sorry to hear about your wife's injury. Dogs are resilient, mine always heal faster than I do...

#23 ·
Oops - sorry, my wife vs. dogs ambush happened three years ago. She did fine with her recovery - both the wrist and the knee replacement.

The joint replacement patient 'trainer/advocate' for the hospital uses my wife as an example of what can go wrong before surgery :whistle:.

#25 ·
I probably should add short, bald and fatter to the description as well, with a nasty middle finger twitch towards picture takers.

It's been ages since I posted on here and I gotta say, it feels good to be back.

I sold my Rubicon years ago due to some medical issues, that made driving it near impossible, as well as supporting the required maintenance. 4 hip surgeries with some permanent nerve damage really knocked me down for a while. It's been years now, and I am riding my motorcycle again and keep thinking about getting another 4x4.
When the new Bronco was revealed, I have to admit I was/am intrigued. It seems like a solid beast which has a Rubicon equivalent called the Badlands. Problem is I just don't think IFS would work for me. I am a Rock Crawler. In fact, I am a pretty extreme Rock Crawler and I know, at some point I will want to stick a SFA under a Bronco. At that point, why bother with it, when I can get another Rubicon. But competition is good, and it looks like the Bronco has finally pushed jeep to add 35s as a stock option for the Rubicon in MY22.
This brings me to my dilemma, so I created a poll to get some ideas.

Anyway, don't feel any pity for me, while I don't have a jeep at the moment, I have been driving the following for a little over 4 years. I kind of figure if I can get in and out of this, I should be able to climb into a lifted Rubicon.
View attachment 75781

Alright folks, let me have it.
Holy Chittttttttt
Elff .... welcome back .
I won't ever forget the ride at the lake shore road and you thought a Cessna was low fly'n ...
NItto Mud Graplers was the culprit :LOL::LOL:

Mac

Reactions: johncanfield
#28 ·
2020 Gladiator stone white
Getting new windshield today- cracked last week going to my Sisters in Lske Elsinore, ca

I sold my 1930 Model A
Sold my 2018 Indian Chieftain

have my original skateboard form 1962

Attachments

#29 ·
Very Nice.
Are you going to AiRock it?

I've heard they are going to start using Gorilla Glass in the JL and JT windshields because that's a common problem.
Not sure how valid that is.
That Model A is sweet.

I still have a skateboard from 1984. I think if I jumped on that now, it would be the death of me.
Powell Peralta Rat Bones.

#30 ·
Very Nice.
Are you going to AiRock it?

I've heard they are going to start using Gorilla Glass in the JL and JT windshields because that's a common problem.
Not sure how valid that is.
That Model A is sweet.

I still have a skateboard from 1984. I think if I jumped on that now, it would be the death of me.
Powell Peralta Rat Bones.
View attachment 75823
Nope...no Airock for me ... long story i'm only doing lake or backroad easy trails
i'll send a PM

#31 ·
Guess I will spill the beans.
[I can't keep a secret worth a ****!!]
I am buying Elwarpo's TJ Rubicon.
For those that know me, you know that Jeep just screams Elff.

Reactions: Mouse
#34 ·
Guess I will spill the beans.
[I can't keep a secret worth a ****!!]
I am buying Elwarpo's TJ Rubicon.
For those that know me, you know that Jeep just screams Elff.
Glad to see it going to a good home

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.