Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I know jeeps have many different beautiful sounds of creaking and moaning, but a new one to me. My auto has a new sound of "whirring" much like a dry speedo cable would sound, pitch varies according to speed. Sounds like fan housing. Not tire noise or driveline source, more than likely somewhere behind dash control panel area. Any comments anyone? Thanks all. I will take my answer off the air. EEAAAHHH!!!

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
whatroc?! said:
Okay, I know jeeps have many different beautiful sounds of creaking and moaning, but a new one to me. My auto has a new sound of "whirring" much like a dry speedo cable would sound, pitch varies according to speed. Sounds like fan housing. Not tire noise or driveline source, more than likely somewhere behind dash control panel area. Any comments anyone? Thanks all. I will take my answer off the air. EEAAAHHH!!!
nope.... dont have a sound like that in my Auto.
only thing i hear is the 305/70R/16 MTR`s...sounds like
Rherrrrrrrrr rherrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rherrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
every where i go... actually like it.
:wink:

G

·
0 Posts
Mine whirrls to after the last off-roading, I couldn't find anything rubbing on the Driveshafts, but am not going to invest to much time looking for it. I need to clean the underside off before it goes into the dealership tomorrow for new front axle seals. I wonder if the noise is associated with them. I suspect my clutch has some sand/ dirt up in it. I am going to spray everything off and give it a good look tonight. Good luck, mine is definately speed related so I suspect driveline. Could you have something flapping in the wind.

Ron

G

·
0 Posts
On my 2001 Sport, I noticed a whirring noise that was clearly drive-line related. It showed up after my youngest son took if offroad with some buddies. Imagine that! The dealer replaced the rear drive shaft under warranty, claiming it was bent. The car had less that 10,000 miles on it at the time.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
whatroc?! said:
Have you turned off the fan control when you hear the noise....My fan was making a loud sound at one time.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
whirring noise

I turned off fan but I think maybe somehow the fan is still turning although no air flow is coming out of ducts. I think I shall take off the air vent moulding and control panel moulding and get my wife to drive while I listen to help pinpoint sound better.

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
Re: whirring noise

whatroc?! said:
I turned off fan but I think maybe somehow the fan is still turning although no air flow is coming out of ducts. I think I shall take off the air vent moulding and control panel moulding and get my wife to drive while I listen to help pinpoint sound better.
hmmmmmmm bad idea if you wife drives the Rubi.... you may never get
it back!
:wink:

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Re: whirring noise

whatroc?! said:
Did you just turn down the fan or did you turn off the heater controls all together?

·
Registered
333 Posts
I had a similar noise really bugged the $hite out of me.. I took it to the dealer and it turned out to be a bad ujoint on the front drive shaft.. they replaced it and now no noise till the next one goes.. Good luck may want to have them look at it just to see if it may be that :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update on the minor noise annoyance

As of Fri. last week the dealers shop says it is a front bearing on the t-case gone bad. We shall see. He did mention if that didn't fix it he would order a completely new transfer case but that would be expense, and i replied with a grin, Good thing for me its under WARRANTY! the saga continues. Will keep updated.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Re: Update on the minor noise annoyance

whatroc?! said:
As of Fri. last week the dealers shop says it is a front bearing on the t-case gone bad. We shall see. He did mention if that didn't fix it he would order a completely new transfer case but that would be expense, and i replied with a grin, Good thing for me its under WARRANTY! the saga continues. Will keep updated.
Make sure that he is going to put it under warrenty. With a comment like that I would be concerned that they would do the work and then try to screw you....

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Final ? post on the minor noise annoy.

:?: Final ? post on the minor noise annoy.

Dealer ordered bearing for transfer case, took old bearing out-could
not see anything wrong with it but replaced it with new bearing
anyway. Replaced t-case still had noise. They called DC to order new
t-case and DC wanted them to drive vehicle w/out rear driveshaft and
then drive it w/out front driveshaft. Guess what still noise, instead
of the whirring it turned into a grinding. Dealer says he drove
another new Rubi on the lot and he heard the same grinding. He thinks
it may be indicative of the transfer case(since its a new heavy duty
design and all). Well,I don't think that the problem with the "loud
whirring" sound has disappeared but anyway dealer says it will be
under warranty when and if it does crash. How comforting. I pick up
my Rubi this pm and we shall see. I do believe the shop guys did what
they could do under the auspices of what Chrysler would let them. I
suppose maybe I could give them the benefit of the doubt, which
ussually comes back and bites me in the lower quarters. Life could be
worse uh guys/! EVERYONE HAVE A GREAT TIME WHEELING THIS WEEKEND!

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
bill....
make sure you save all the paperwork ...
get them to put as much as you can in writing.

good luck
mac

G

·
0 Posts
re noise

as posted in other sites, try spraying the front cv with wd40,99% of the time it fixes it

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
4x4mac said:
bill....
make sure you save all the paperwork ...
get them to put as much as you can in writing.

good luck
mac
I agree with Mac.. Get some good solid documentation that it will be under warranty when and if it goes. All you need it to have something happen right after the warranty runs out just because this problem caused long term problems.

Sean

G

·
0 Posts
Mystery Noise

Had same noise in my Rubi a few months ago. It is the U-Joint. Apparently there was a service bulletin issued for this problem (according to my service manager). Seems the U-joints were not properly lubricated. The dealer replaced the entire rear drive shaft and the noisy u-joint. I don't really know why they replaced the entire shaft unless the SM wasn't telling the whole story about the problem. Either way, the problem is no longer there. Hope this helps. By the way, I'm going to Camp Jeep on June 26th in VA> anyone else going?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts