Rubicon Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1624 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
MO Rubi

New to the jeep world - but have wanted one since I got to wheel in my uncle's CJ-Renegade in HS. Bought my wife a Grand Cherokee Overland last september - decided to take it off road - it was awesome, very capable....brought it home caked in mud with a big smile on my face - wife's response was "I don't think so." Had to get an offroad rig of my own...or a bachelor pad. :D Decision involved a huge sacrifice -- had to sell my BMW740iL to get the jeep...ouch (still painful to think about...but my relationship with the MO Highway Patrol has improved significantly)

There was an Inca Gold Rubi on a local lot - did research, went down to buy - and the new owner was picking it up when I showed up.....damn, missed it by that much. Two weeks later got the call that a Light Khaki was being unloaded -- told them not to let anyone drive my Jeep. Rest is history....been wheelin' almost every weekend since and loving this incredibly capable vehicle.

I live about 10-15 miles from the site of Camp Jeep 2002 - In the Missouri Ozarks. I was raised in an Air Force family - lived most of my younger years in Colorado Springs on AFAcademy. Migrated to MO to be near extended family. Planted in MO now, but belong in CO. I am a networking engineer for a little bait shop called Bass Pro Shops, corp headquarters in Springfield, MO. Check out the worms....www.basspro.com. Only wish they offered a more extensive spread of Jeep mod parts.

Live about 10 minutes in every direction to great trails in Mark Twain National Forest -- anyone wants to stop by on their way through this area let me know -- we've got a great local Jeep Community -- always a group heading out to hit the trails. Good lakes and fresh water floating and fly fishing streams too.

Glad to have this forum to learn about the sport, vehicles, and meet people with similar interests. 8)

G

·
0 Posts
My name is Tarrel Callaway, so you can guess why I go by Cal.
So far, it seems I'm the old man of the forum - 61 years old. Retired a little over four years ago.

I've owned may Jeeps since 1965. Sold a 1985 Scrambler to buy the Rubicon. :mad: Would like to have been able to keep it. But I alway said if Jeep would build something close to what I wanted, I'd buy it. Well, they did and I did.

Spent 20 years and 24 days in the USAF, then worked for IBM until I retired in December, 1998.

Grew up in West Texas so I've been around Jeeps most of my life.

When my wife retires in a few years, we will go back to Texas. :D

For now we will :) in Atlanta area.

Cal

·
Registered
467 Posts
OK, here it goes.

Mike Holmes, 32 years old.

College right out of High School (in Iowa - hated it and quit.)

Air Force for 4 years, trained dogs to detect drugs and attack.

Discharged, worked at law firms and corporate legal departments including McDonnel Douglas (now Boeing) and U.S. Bank.

Went into Mortgage Banking. Life was good to me in the mid-1990's and I was able to retire when I was 28. Quickly got bored sitting around. Got married and dragged my new bride from St. Louis (GO BLUES, CARDS and RAMS!!!) to....

Denver, Colorado. I was still bored despite all the offroading, hiking and snowboarding I could ever want. Nobody my age is off work :(

So, I decided to finish my degree. I will graduate this summer with two BA's actually. After that, I have no idea what I will do. I am definitely going back to work though. Maybe I'll go bartend in Breckenridge :)

Hobbies: Offroading, snowboarding, reading, and traveling. I've been to England several times, France a few times, Switzerland, Belgium, Holland, Germany and recently went snowboarding in BC, Canada. I've also been to Cuba, Colombia, Peru and Turkey, courtesy of Uncle Sam. This summer I am going to Australia and until the outbreak of the killer flu I was also going to Asia (China, Tibet, Vietnam and Thailand) with a friend. Not sure what will replace that now because I have no interest in dying on vacation from the flu.

THE END.

G

·
0 Posts
Cal said:
My name is Tarrel Callaway, so you can guess why I go by Cal.
So far, it seems I'm the old man of the forum - 61 years old. Retired a little over four years ago.
Damn, I thought I would win that title :(--turned 60 last November. :)

This is my 5th Jeep: 87 YJ, 96 ZJ, 97 TJ, 99WJ, 03 Rubi.

1960-66--U of MO, Columbia, undergrad and law school

1966-90--USAF Judge Advocate, CA/Crete,Greece/TX/AL/Netherlands/OH/NM/CO. Retired Lt Col.

1990-92--Prosecutor

1992-present--Municipal Court Judge, Aurora, CO

Enjoyed the Meet & Greet and look forward to more of those and some trail rides as the high country thaws. One caution: let's avoid exclusivity. Any M&G or ride we organize should be clearly announced as open to any Jeepers or other 4-wheelers who want to go along. There is already a perception of us as snobs in the 4WD community. Let's NOT add to it.

G

·
0 Posts
east coast hello

my name is david carpenter,31, located in augusta,ga., never been in the armed forces but would love to go blow some s**t up in the desert!!!unfortunately im a auto tech(i hate the term "mechanic") ive worked for chrysler for 13 years in dealerships and have to say that the 03 tj`s are the best by far, ive owned many jeeps and 4x4s over the years, frequent tellico many times a year,so when you west coast guys get ready to come over this way, bring me some in-n-out burgers and well go riding!!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Joe Bryant, 28 years young, born in Fort Knox, Kentucky and raised on the base until I was sixteen. I would be in the Marines today if I hadnt lost an eye when I was a teenager. I would still go today. I currently live in Milton, Wisconsin. I am a member of NIJA-Northern Illinois Jeep Alliance and soon MidwestJeepThing member. My 4wheeling started in 2000 with a 2000 Ford Ranger Ext Cab 4x4 after a couple of months I let the wife drive it and I traded her car for a 2000 TJ and lifted it 4 inches and installed 33's. Bought a Rubicon in November. In March I traded my 2000 TJ for a 2001 XJ for the wife, will be adding 4 inch lift and MTR's off of a Rubicon. My Rubicon has stock tires and 2in RE spacer kit. In spring of 2004 it will have RE 4.5 superlfex kit with a 1in body lift,and 35in MTR's

G

·
0 Posts
Not yet a Rubi owner. Soon though.
Cut my teeth off-roading in Nissans.
Done MOAB and the San Juans a few times.
After 15 years of having a 4x4, I've spent the last nine months in a car. :roll:
Glad to find this forum! Looks like good info and people.

<edited to add> Yep, Ned, from XOC. :)

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Welcome bn300............When you getting your RUBI?

·
Registered
118 Posts
How ya'll doin'
The name's Nick, I'm 22. There's alot a military here! Well, here's one more. 4 years, 2 tours to southwest asia, and a recent reenlistment, I serve proudly in the USAF. Originally from Cleveland now living in the Midwest, I've went through a '76 CJ-7 and a '01 TJ Now I'm a proud owner of :beercheers: '03 Rubi. For those who are goin', I'll meet up with ya'll in Moab in a couple days.

·
Administrator
15,114 Posts
H2Eater said:
How ya'll doin'
The name's Nick, I'm 22. There's alot a military here! Well, here's one more. 4 years, 2 tours to southwest asia, and a recent reenlistment, I serve proudly in the USAF. Originally from Cleveland now living in the Midwest, I've went through a '76 CJ-7 and a '01 TJ Now I'm a proud owner of :beercheers: '03 Rubi. For those who are goin', I'll meet up with ya'll in Moab in a couple days.
Welcome to Rubi world....
congrats on your Rubi.
and Awsome to hear your serving our Country. if your ever in vegas let me know would like to meet ,lunch/brew will be paid for by me !
mac

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Welcome to the list..................Cheers. 8)

:tomcat:

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Guys,

My name is Doug Robling. I am from the Cincinnati area, and it sounds like I might be the oldest Rubi owner at 43. I have an 8 year old son who seems to love off-roading as much as I do, and we have joined a local club in order to have people to travel with.

I have a black Rubicon with the RE3.5 lift and 305-70's, Mopar bikini with Bestop duster and windstop, seat spacers, custom bumpers, and a 240W Alpine with 2 sets of Component speakers. I am adding adjustable upper control arms and a CV shaft this week in order to raise the xfer case back, and I am watching the threads on the tummy-tuck as a future possibility.

My last three vehicles were Porsches and Vettes. but I had two CJ-5's just out of College.

·
Administrator
15,114 Posts
DougRobling said:
Hi Guys,

My name is Doug Robling. I am from the Cincinnati area, and it sounds like I might be the oldest Rubi owner at 43. I have an 8 year old son who seems to love off-roading as much as I do, and we have joined a local club in order to have people to travel with.

I have a black Rubicon with the RE3.5 lift and 305-70's, Mopar bikini with Bestop duster and windstop, seat spacers, custom bumpers, and a 240W Alpine with 2 sets of Component speakers. I am adding adjustable upper control arms and a CV shaft this week in order to raise the xfer case back, and I am watching the threads on the tummy-tuck as a future possibility.

My last three vehicles were Porsches and Vettes. but I had two CJ-5's just out of College.
welcome Doug....
pssssssssst
your not the oldest here....nor am i.... but some are older
:wink:

G

·
0 Posts
Some are old in Mind, Some are old in Body, but we are all young at heart. My spouse reminds me all the time to stop acting like a little kid.

"Never grow up, just own a Jeep!"

Ron

·
Administrator
15,114 Posts
PBR Stitch said:
Some are old in Mind, Some are old in Body, but we are all young at heart. My spouse reminds me all the time to stop acting like a little kid.

"Never grow up, just own a Jeep!"

Ron
my lovely wife all the time says SHE has 3 kids.... 2 girls and a Hubby!
:wink:

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Howdy

HEy everyone, great to have found such a great place to meet and talk to new people about one of my favorate things...JEEPS! Anyhow, I live in Ft Bragg NC, home of the 82D Airborne. I have only been here for about a year and 6 months of that were spent in Afghanistan. This is my second jeep, my first being a 95 wrangler...boy i miss it..but i couldnt have got a Rubi if I didnt trade her in......My rubi is black and I am slowly building her up with extra cash my wife dosnt spend...haha..but I am so glad I finally found people to ride with here in my local neighborhood...

Pete M

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Welcome Pete.............Glad to hear that you found a good home here...

Sean

G

·
0 Posts
Welcome Pete, enjoy yourself here. Ask your questions, even if you think they are dumb, we will try to answer them with humor :D .

Ron (Hint "You'll learn to forget the YJ") "Lock and Roll!"

21 - 40 of 1624 Posts