Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
Been on a couple of other Jeep Forums and had no idea that this forum for Rubicon owners was here. Hoping to learn from you more seasoned Jeep owners.

I have a 2020 2dr 2.0T stock as far as wheels, axles, gearing and lift. Was hoping to jump to 35" tires when the 33's need replacing. Might do an AEV spacer lift as well. Mostly DD but do take trips out West to get it on the trails.

Would this be a good set up or would I be better leaving it stock?

Thanks

·
Administrator
11,795 Posts
Welcome to ROF! We're glad to have you here. One standard piece of advice is to wheel your Rubi stock to explore its capabilities with 33" tires. As yours sits, it's very, very capable off road and for easy to easy-moderate rock crawling. Then you might want to explore tire upgrades.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to ROF! We're glad to have you here. One standard piece of advice is to wheel your Rubi stock to explore its capabilities with 33" tires. As yours sits, it's very, very capable off road and for easy to easy-moderate rock crawling. Then you might want to explore tire upgrades.
Thanks. I have wheeled in the Silverton CO area last summer and heading to Moab in a month to try some trails there. I am thoroughly enjoying the Rubicon and it's capabilities.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Welcome. I agree to wheel the heck out of it in stock form. A two door can go a lot of places.
How do you like the 2.0. The turbo power is nice isn't it?
The only thing that has been coming up with the 2.0 are coolant leaks so check it regularly. There hasn't really been a common failure so a post off road inspection is always a good idea.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome. I agree to wheel the heck out of it in stock form. A two door can go a lot of places.
How do you like the 2.0. The turbo power is nice isn't it?
The only thing that has been coming up with the 2.0 are coolant leaks so check it regularly. There hasn't really been a common failure so a post off road inspection is always a good idea.
Really like the 2.0. love the power in 4 low out on the trails...being able to shift to manual and control crawl up and down stuff is awesome. The turbo handled driving in the mountains without breaking much of a sweat.

·
Administrator
15,235 Posts
Welcome to ROF
i have wheel'd several Jeeps in MOAB 100% stock ...
don't upgrade on "What if" you have a good platform use it
mac

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello All,
Been on a couple of other Jeep Forums and had no idea that this forum for Rubicon owners was here. Hoping to learn from you more seasoned Jeep owners.

I have a 2020 2dr 2.0T stock as far as wheels, axles, gearing and lift. Was hoping to jump to 35" tires when the 33's need replacing. Might do an AEV spacer lift as well. Mostly DD but do take trips out West to get it on the trails.

Thanks
If you don't have Dana 44s, stay away from 35 in. Tires. Depending how you drive and the extra weigh added to the drive train might cost you.

·
Registered
876 Posts
2020 has the 44 Advantek axles which are stronger than the jk axles. Don't be afraid to run 35's. Unless you like jumping.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I totally agree with using the Jeep as it is first so you can understand what it can do. That said, I've modified my last several Jeeps immediately because I want the extra clearance and handling characteristics I get with the mods I do, or have done for me. I currently have a '13 2dr Rubicon with a 2" suspension lift and 35's that I put on immediately after getting it and I recently replaced by '12 4dr Rubicon with a '20 4dr and again, put new rims and 35" BFG TA KO2's immediately, with no gear mods, and they perform very well off-road, driving around town and doing 75 on the highway since they are our DD's as well. In my opinion, the most important mod you need, if you're going to take it "4-wheeling", not just driving on wimpy trails, is some realistic armor for your vital areas underneath in case you really hit a rock. The Rubicon stock armor, if you want to call it that, is a total joke and offers practically no protection. Some of Moab is fun and offers little chance of any damage and then there is some reasonably safe stuff that can mess you up if you mis-judge your line and then a lot that can really trash your Jeep. However, you'll see an amazing number of stock Jeeps out in the much more challenging stuff and they are doing great. The driver is the most critical piece of the puzzle. Have fun with what you have now and once you learn it and figure out what you kind of wheeling you want to do, then you can make wise decisions on what you need and want and how you want to spend your money. Jeeps are very quick to eat a big hole in your wallet so, unless you have lots of money to spend on it, take the time to learn your Jeep and yourself and go from there. The Silverton/Ouray area is awesome wheeling and Moab as well. Happy Wheel'n!

·
Administrator
11,795 Posts
We've wheeled in the San Juan mountains (Silverton) for years - lots of fun but no challenges for an experienced driver.

·
Administrator
11,795 Posts
The 2 door is very, very trail capable, especially with 33" and taller tires. I've seen many 4 doors struggle on trails I've led and been on. Trails in canyon washes that are twisty-bendy are more suited to 2 doors than 4 doors due to the much tighter turn radius.

One tail in St George (Utah) I led several times had several sharp break-overs which would get a stock 4 door high centered. After that I would not let a 4 door on my trail unless they were on at least 35" tires.

On the other hand, 4 doors excel on steep climbs and do well in Moab. The ultimate trail/daily driver vehicle hasn't been invented yet.

Reactions: Norminator

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
3 Posts
Hello All,

Thanks
Your JL is perfectly suited and ready for those 35s without doing a thing. Most of the folks suggesting a re-gear aren't as familiar with the JL platform. I recently added a 2" Dynatrac lift to my 21 JL and decided to go with the 37s. Had people on the other site telling me I would have to re-gear for those larger tires but the JL guys told me they were running good without a re-gear. I made the swap to 37, accessed the in dash tire size options to tell the jeep what size new shoes it had on and the thing runs beautifully. It actually drives better with the larger tires than the 33s it came with. Now I will also say that my off roading doesn't get too crazy, I was climbing level 3 trails with the stock set up and now I have an extra 4" of lift but if I wanted to get more serious about off r oading I might need to spend a little more on the lift and if I planned on hauling much of a load for any extended amount of time I might need to consider a re-gear. But just normal driving and playing my Jeep does amazing, your 35 swap will be just fine without doing anything. IMO
Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive side marker light Tire Car

·
Super Moderator
3,837 Posts
Welcome to ROF. I've heard similar for the JLs and JTs.

Reactions: johncanfield
1 - 20 of 23 Posts