Rubicon Owners Forum banner
161 - 168 of 168 Posts

·
3,755 Posts
Curious what you don't like about the lights. I have a set on my TJ that have to be 12 or 13 years old. Bought them just as Savvy started selling them.

In regards to the leaking seal, you shouldn't have any internal damage from the leaks. It is frustrating though to need them replaced. If the gearing was recently changed, those seals should be new.

·
Premium Member
3,112 Posts
Sucks about the pinion leak...

On the savvy lights, I put them on the LJ and think they look decent. I didn't put them in the stock location, I thought, but l looked at the pics and don't remember now, and I have a cleaned up tailgate. So that may make a difference to my eye. They are, IMHO, just a stock replacement LED tail light that they made a great machined aluminum bracket for. Not sure why no one thought about that before, great job improvising on that one.

the think about the ORO lights is if you tighten them to much they crack the board and led's start to go out. they left an air gap so they will flex if to tight. At least that is why I think I had failures and got a free set after years on the original ones I had.

pics of mine for a different view, also first online pics of the LJ in quite some time. I hope to get back to it soon as the new place has taken precedence over the jeeps. Hope to get back to that program soon, or just go the LS route and give it another year...

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
Curious what you don't like about the lights. I have a set on my TJ that have to be 12 or 13 years old. Bought them just as Savvy started selling them.

In regards to the leaking seal, you shouldn't have any internal damage from the leaks. It is frustrating though to need them replaced. If the gearing was recently changed, those seals should be new.

I like them I think I just like the lite dots better. They seem a bit ‘big’ kinda like seeing someone whose head is too big for their body but other than that the function and design are very nice. I did have to retap the holes to screw down the leds to the base and all did fine except one hole so I will need to figure out a fix for that hole which will likely include replacing the supplied screw with a shorter one.

Sucks about the pinion leak...

On the savvy lights, I put them on the LJ and think they look decent. I didn't put them in the stock location, I thought, but l looked at the pics and don't remember now, and I have a cleaned up tailgate. So that may make a difference to my eye. They are, IMHO, just a stock replacement LED tail light that they made a great machined aluminum bracket for. Not sure why no one thought about that before, great job improvising on that one.

the think about the ORO lights is if you tighten them to much they crack the board and led's start to go out. they left an air gap so they will flex if to tight. At least that is why I think I had failures and got a free set after years on the original ones I had.

pics of mine for a different view, also first online pics of the LJ in quite some time. I hope to get back to it soon as the new place has taken precedence over the jeeps. Hope to get back to that program soon, or just go the LS route and give it another year...

The Jeep looks great man, those Savvy lights look really nice without the tailgate hinges to the side, cleaner and more symmetrical. I do like them just think the Litedots look better. I am aware the Litedots have the issue with the led board so I hope I get lucky with this set.

looking forward to seeing your build progress as you transition back to the shop...

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
Well in the end the yokes, turned out, were from a 95 Wrangler and have a groove on them that wear into the pinion seal. Seals have been replaced as well as the yokes and the shop cleaned up the mess under there for me. Awesome business and great owner so I am glad I found them in Carson City. I do have some vibes above 45 mph now which I need to figure out so I’m starting with a static tire balance and go from there. Any guesses as to why I have a vibes at highway speeds?

I’m setting a goal for January/February to do the GenRight gas tank and PSC steering at once. If I can make the journey I’ll see if Blaine can fit me in to finish up the steering so the fundamentals are in place for this rig to drive excellent. Hoping after that and the tire carrier install I can put this Jeep back out of priority zone and focus on the next major stage for the other LS TJR rig... paint! Goal is to be able to daily drive this Jeep and keep the miles off my truck. Might as well get miles out of the 4.0 before the Hemi swap.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
So I have tracked the vibes to the front and we will see if I can adjust the pinion angle up enough to get rid of them without messing up the caster too bad, don’t want it to steer poorly but there may be a trade off if I want to avoid hubs on the front. New wheels and tires if I go that route... ugh. Jeep drives great with it disconnected.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

I decided to install this gas cap cover on the LJ instead of the TJ. I’ll have it painted when I have the rear corners painted to match the light khaki.

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Car

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
So here is the $390 solution to making the lights function. I guess they just wrote the job off, of course I didn’t pay anything out of pocket... guess that way they have a write off.

Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Auto part

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

On one note I’m happy the lights adjust on the other it was pretty painful to go back to get the job done. My son and I waited two hours in the freezing cold while they supposedly made those tabs. It snowed last night and flurries while we waited in bitter winds. Unbelievable. Washoe Metal Fab, should be called Washoe Metal Joke.

This rig is going into the driveline shop Thursday for some adjustments and possibly a new alignment. With any luck I’ll get the front driveline vibe out without having to do a hub conversion.

·
3,755 Posts
Good to have the lights in the correct position finally

Reactions: johncanfield
161 - 168 of 168 Posts