Rubicon Owners Forum banner
141 - 160 of 163 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
I think the welds look crappy. The ones attaching the vertical piece to the bumper are good, but I think those were original to the bumper.

The welds holding the horizontal tab with the light attached to it look like crap. IMHO, I weld better than that. Now I know what to charge when people want me to do some work for them. Good to know I can now feel good about 120 an hour...
Yeah welds could look better and I definitely don’t like how the fabricator made them way larger than necessary. Also the lights do not go down so the functionality is not there.. gonna have to be modified or possibly larger spacers could be used under the light bracket. I mean really.. I pay that much and the lights don’t even adjust properly?

I'm surprised there was not a bolt on bracket option using the holes for the frame rail
It would have been nice if the bumper had some light brackets incorporated in the design, little irritated now that I ponied up more for the brackets than the bumper cost.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,456 Posts
I almost wonder if you could have just drilled holes a little farther from center and used brackets from the light manufacturer?
O well, too late now.
Since you can't adjust them down, and will blind people, maybe you can get covers that say
PITA
instead of
PIAA
:ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 · (Edited)
I almost wonder if you could have just drilled holes a little farther from center and used brackets from the light manufacturer?
O well, too late now.
Since you can't adjust them down, and will blind people, maybe you can get covers that say
PITA
instead of
PIAA
:ROFLMAO:

I have decided to contact the welding shop owner and discuss the issue about functionality and ask him why they made such obtuse brackets when less is more? Maybe there is a simple solution to spacing the lights back a bit.

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
Turned out well and it ended up being very cheap to have them painted.

Once the MetalCloak rear tire carrier w/spare goes on the back should sit more even.

And then there is this problem... both diffs don’t want to seal up.

Currie Antirock is hitting the front Poison Spider bumper as well so I have some issues that need addressing.

very happy with the new truck

·
3,746 Posts
I've had good luck using Permatex "Right Stuff" in sealing up leaky diff covers.

Reactions: bbusch

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,456 Posts
Ive had mixed results with Lube Lockers in the past.
So far so good with the ones on my current ride. I will not pop the cover until it is absolutely necessary. I changed the oil in both front and rear and the engine, so I am good for a little while.

·
Administrator
11,455 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
There is a lot of different RTV blends. Mopar has a orange/red blend that they recommend for diffs and it doesnt really dry completely.
I believe in cast aftermarket diff covers.

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
Lube Lockers didn’t work out this time. I’ve had good luck with them in the past but they don’t always work. I may try that “Right Stuff” and see how that works. I was hoping for good results with the lube lockers but oh well.

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
Another issue that needs addressing. Currie AR and PS Brawler don’t compat.

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Black Automotive design

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Hood

• Sad

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·
Yes.. plan is to try and shorten the links on each side and see if that does the trick.

I ordered the black anodized led tail lights but something is up with snail zone Savvy and until they ship and eventually arrive I can’t drive the LJ because I started on tail light wiring and was almost soldering in the Lite Dots when I changed my mind to keep the more original look the Savvy product offers. Close to changing my mind back to Lite Dots they look that good. The smoked front turn signal markers look fantastic with the light khaki metallic paint so it’s a tough decision. Last on agenda for the LJ this year is a rear tire carrier setup with rotax goodies and hopefully a 31 gallon GenRight fuel tank. Going to put the steering upgrade off until Spring 22 and that will be second to what I have planned for the LS TJR so no guarantee the LJ’s steering will be addressed anytime soon.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,456 Posts
Thats a tough call. It's a matter of whether or not you want round or rectangle but I think it will look great either way.
That Khaki color is killer and it just seems to make everything else looks great.

A Genright gas tank is in my plans down the road. Crazy how they can pack way more fuel into the same amount of space.

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
Turns out the pinion seals are what’s leaking both front and rear. Diff covers may not be leaking at all. The gearing sounds really bad so I am going to take it into the driveline shop and have them take a look. In the mean time I have installed the tail lights.. jury is still out on how much I like them. I definitely like the LiteDots better.

Automotive lighting Rectangle Bumper Musical instrument accessory Gadget

Creative arts Gas Electrical wiring Pliers Wire

Input device Computer hardware Wire Fashion accessory Table

Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive side marker light Tire Vehicle

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Automotive side marker light Vehicle registration plate

The leaking pinion seals on both axles are a disappointment, hopefully there is no damage to the new gearing.

141 - 160 of 163 Posts