Rubicon Owners Forum banner
101 - 120 of 144 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
I had aftermarket bumpers for a 04 TJ powder coated. If I was going to do it again, I'd save money and paint the bumpers black which is a lot easier to touch up or repair.
If I were going to be hard on the bumpers I would probably just paint them myself but given this rig will see minimal off road damage I want the thickness the powder coat provides.

A friend of mine used the cheapy aerosol bed liner paint in a can on his.
Looked nice with the light texture and real easy touch up.
Personally I’m just not a fan of texture on bumpers, fenders or most anything else on the outside. I did Line X the interior tho and love it.

Thought I’d share this beauty I came across today. It literally looked like it just came off the dealership lot brand new. Unbelievable condition, very rare siting.

062E3FF5-F0C2-42D0-A8C8-60E139BC969D.jpeg

·
Premium Member
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Quick update... Blaine has started on the rig and well under way. New Yokohama tires arrived this past week and the driveshafts are ordered from Tom, new Vanco big brake kit going on as well. There has been some damage to the car after digging into it. I can’t wait to get the rig back and look forward to dialing it in over the coming years so my son can have it when he turns 16 in 12 years. The winch has arrived and bumpers are awaiting fitment.

573981A5-F611-4BFA-B877-84D8649BC452.jpeg

I should be back soon with a returning rig!

·
Premium Member
TBD
4,275 Posts
Thought I’d share this beauty I came across today. It literally looked like it just came off the dealership lot brand new. Unbelievable condition, very rare siting.

View attachment 75535
Wow, that is clean.
I've always liked Poison Spyder. Is that the brawler bar, or the trail stinger?

From my past experience, I'll prep and paint my stuff myself. Even if it's not gonna be beaten, if powercoating gets messed up, it just falls apart. I like being able to sand and touch up.

·
Premium Member
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Wow, that is clean.
I've always liked Poison Spyder. Is that the brawler bar, or the trail stinger?

From my past experience, I'll prep and paint my stuff myself. Even if it's not gonna be beaten, if powercoating gets messed up, it just falls apart. I like being able to sand and touch up.

That is the TJ/LJ Rock Brawler bumper pair. I like the PS gear as well. Once I installed the PS rocker guards I decided to keep everything the same for consistency. As far as powder coating goes I have a guy that does really quality work and if it gets damaged it doesn’t flake/chip but I know exactly what you’re talking about. With that said I am starting to consider painting them myself because I’m spending a ton on this part of the build and need to consider some budget cuts.

·
Administrator
11,371 Posts
Before I went aluminum, I bought raw steel bumpers and did the prep and painting myself, not a huge deal. Prep is always the most time consuming part - bad prep=bad results. My Rockmen sliders are powder coated and always got beat up in the rocks, a quick sand and semi-gloss black rattle can and call it good.

·
Premium Member
TBD
4,275 Posts
It funny how many people do a great wipe down, and then touch the metal with bare hands to move it to where they will paint.
Alot of people don't understand that the grease from the fingers is where it always starts to fall apart.. Doesn't matter how clean your hands are. A good base of some rust preventative paint does help with that, however.

·
Administrator
11,371 Posts
It funny how many people do a great wipe down, and then touch the metal with bare hands to move it to where they will paint.
Alot of people don't understand that the grease from the fingers is where it always starts to fall apart.. Doesn't matter how clean your hands are. A good base of some rust preventative paint does help with that, however.
El Warpo is our resident professional coatings expert, I think Mike said he formulates paint among other things. Got a question about 'paint' - ask Mike!

·
Administrator
11,371 Posts
I used POR15 on my steel bumpers - meh :sleep:. I think their advertising is better than the coating.

·
Premium Member
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Well I put my 2019 Sierra K3500 up for sale and it went pending first day on the market. Problem is my title went to TN about a month back to possibly look at changing registration from NV to TN but didn’t end up doing the switch. Anyway my mom sent the title back in the mail on June 8th and it should have arrived 3-4 business days later if not sooner but now the tracking no longer shows a delivery date and the message states the package will be arriving late. Unbelievable. Here I sold the truck, hopefully, and have people lined up interested and no one can get it because the title is out in limbo so no title in hand.

With that said I have one last window of opportunity to use it to go get the LJRS from Blaine. We spoke today and while my shocks are still being tuned he said I could keep the ones on it and just swap them out later if I want with the new ones so I think it’s best to go get it right now given it’s nearly ready. I am trying to get a Ford in IL so I may be without a truck for a while especially if that deal in IL falls through. So the Jeep is ready so I take delivery Monday morning so should report back with some photos by early to mid week next week.

Stay tuned...

·
Administrator
11,371 Posts
The postal service used to be fairly reliable but in the last few years not so much. My wife took her Aviator in for a recall Monday and noticed there were very few new vehicles on the lot. Same situation with RVs, very few Class As on the lot.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
The local Chevy dealer looks like the Dew Drop Inn’s parking lot on a Sunday morning.

·
Registered
680 Posts
We generally have about 125 new and 50 used cars and trucks on the lot. Right now to Covid supply we have 30 new and 10 used. It looks deserted, we try to move them around to make it look like we are in business.
If you have a used Jeep for sale now is the time to sell.

My sliders, bumpers, and flares are getting beat up and this winter I'll refinish them. I have had powder coated and painted stuff and have not decided which to do.

·
Premium Member
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
Here are some teasers. A commercial sized box truck ran over my trailer when I was leaving my hotel Monday morning and busted his axle and hub on his passenger side and messed my trailer up pretty bad. Pretty sick over it. Very nice guy but the accident put me in a bad situation.

The leak got worse.

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Premium Member
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
Cont...

🤨.

I have a bit of time behind the wheel and the rig drives amazing. Blaine did an excellent job but I do have some follow up and waiting on my tuned shocks. Shock spacers need to go in and at 500 miles I need to change the gear oil because he hooked me up with new gearing. I will be updating the thread with more details later when I don’t have a three y/o staring at me wanting to play. 😜

·
Administrator
11,371 Posts
Blain's fab skills and depth of knowledge with TJ/LJ suspension is quite amazing, or actually anything about the TJ/LJ. Your suspension looks fantastic, I also like the tread pattern on the Yoko tires.

That's a great looking trailer, what a shame the guy damaged it. I use an open deck Featherlite trailer that looks very similar to yours, great trailer.

On our return home from wheeling out west three or four years ago one of the trailer tires shredded and blew off one of the removable fenders. This fender had the license plate bolted to it, we returned to the area where we had the blowout to find the fender the next day. It had been thoroughly mangled. After that last blowout I threw the trailer tires away and put Light Truck (LT) tires on the trailer (made in the USA.)

·
Premium Member
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
That is looking great. I am confused, how the hell do you NOT see a Large Truck and a trailer? Was the guy on his mobile phone?
Thanks. Yeah he didn’t see the unloaded trailer, my truck yes but the trailer was hidden from his view as I was passing in the right lane. With a load it’s easy to see but unloaded apparently not.

101 - 120 of 144 Posts