Rubicon Owners Forum banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Kinda late, headed to bed but yes it appears you have a Rubicon Sahara unless someone previously did a damn good job of acquiring parts to make a replica. With that said there are only a few of the side badges left so you may want to scoop a couple of those up. If you get a count of how many side badges are left from Trish (or Dealership, can't remember who is holding them) let me know. I am considering picking up a couple extras. Seems like they are about $75 or $100 each. The interior badge cost about $125 I believe. Would be a long shot but it's likely the original dealership never installed the package so you might contact them to see if they have the sticker package in a file somewhere.

On a final note about Craig.. your are correct I cannot say what he knew about the actual drivetrain components that were under the rig however I do feel he had something to do with washing the title. Regardless of what he did and/or did not know he basically did not disclose anything over the phone to me about the vehicle having issues (and knowing he was in Law Enforcement I put more faith/trust in him). I went over some text messages and after I had purchased the vehicle and started asking more questions he did say the PO before him had replaced the front drive shaft and axle (whatever that means, in no way did I think someone had put a D30 without a locker in it under the vehicle). We spoke several times and all he said was he wanted to get a four door JK. It was a shady deal no doubt and the fact he is a LEO is really shi^^^.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Kinda late, headed to bed but yes it appears you have a Rubicon Sahara unless someone previously did a damn good job of acquiring parts to make a replica. With that said there are only a few of the side badges left so you may want to scoop a couple of those up. If you get a count of how many side badges are left from Trish (or Dealership, can't remember who is holding them) let me know. I am considering picking up a couple extras. Seems like they are about $75 or $100 each. The interior badge cost about $125 I believe. Would be a long shot but it's likely the original dealership never installed the package so you might contact them to see if they have the sticker package in a file somewhere.
If it is a Rubi Sahara, the Rubicon stickers on the hood and the side Sahara badges would have to have been removed by someone. When I got mine from the dealer they did not install the Sahara package. I had to go back and get it from them. The package included the dash tag, rear tail light guards and spare tire cover. The Rubicon stickers on the hood and side Sahara badges were on the Jeep, I'm assuming from the factory.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think I could have those decals reproduced and keep them in hand for anyone that might need them. I have the black wing thing but not the word Sahara. If someone had that I think I could get them done for under 20 bucks a piece. If they are getting that hard to find, someone should build a stash so we always have them.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Thanks for the welcome! Yeah, I have 2 toned Moab rims, the chrome grill, the grey fenders & matching hard top, but I don't have the dash plaque the tire cover or the Sahara stickers.

Is just my screen (or camera angle), or are the flares not identically matching the body's paint color (pic in post #80) as bbusch's do?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is just my screen (or camera angle), or are the flares not identically matching the body's paint color (pic in post #80) as bbusch's do?
No your seeing it correctly, the flares are a grey color like the top. (The picture was also taken in the rain) As you are aware, on a Sahara they match the body color, but on the Rubi Sahara they were grey, along with the top and inset on the Moab's. I like it as a secondary color and will probably carry it over in the powder coat of the bumpers and possibly part of the rock rails.

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
I think I could have those decals reproduced and keep them in hand for anyone that might need them. I have the black wing thing but not the word Sahara. If someone had that I think I could get them done for under 20 bucks a piece. If they are getting that hard to find, someone should build a stash so we always have them.

Going to resurrect my thread from the dead, and while at it may call T to see about the badge count.

I recently put this rig up for sale but after reconsidering I think I am going to do some modifications. I did get a offer very close to my asking price but after daily driving the rig for a month or so now I am reattached.

I ordered a LA upgrade kit and Bilstein 5160 shocks x 4 corners so I really think this upgrade will correct some road manners and a more stable driving experience. The current lift has some miles on it and is a short arm setup so the rig tends to want to drift in the lane. I already have Nth Degree Mobility shock shifters new in the box, Nth front coils and the current parts on the Jeep so all I need in addition to what i have ordered will be a new rear track bar so I will probably match the front one and go with JKS for that part. The LA upgrade kit comes with a new track bar bracket so that part is covered. Oh and I will eventually want to track down

Plan is to install new window vents that go on the doors to replace the broken drive side one and I also have some parts that just need to be replaced in hand like the washer fluid pump so plenty of little things to keep me busy while I wait on the new suspension parts to get here. After installing a brand new computer and getting all the electrical bugs out of the system then having a more stable suspension will really make this rig a pleasure to drive again.

As she sits now...

all hail to the Wookie.

Working on the stereo now. Nice 3 way going in with a Pioneer p99 dsp head unit. I think I am pulling the Alpine and putting it back in my other rig if I can figure out the music feed situation given that unit is now old technology. I think I may have that solution so in this case the Pioneer will be sufficient. For those that don't know the p99rs has a copper chassis and a built in dsp with four L/R channels, it is considered competition level and is one of the few single DIN head units on the market with built in dsp. The unit is a pleasure operate and really adds to the interior look in my opinion. Below is one mounted in my 03 TJR.

Going to power this ported and tuned box with a JL 10W6 subwoofer. Cabin gain with this means I am the annoying one from a mile away.

So hopefully some updates over the next week on this rig. Once all the suspension parts trickle in I am hoping for some warm days, a bit of motivation to get everything installed and the rig back on the street with minimal down time.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Where did you manage to find an Nth Degree LA upgrade kit since these parts are no longer available?

Never mind I found the answer in a separate post. Let us know how the Rough Country LA upgrade works out.

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Where did you manage to find an Nth Degree LA upgrade kit since these parts are no longer available?

Never mind I found the answer in a separate post. Let us know how the Rough Country LA upgrade works out.

Yeah it looks like I may have been distracted when making the post and some of it got cut off. Anyway I had to go with the RC setup for the long arms and while I would say unfortunately I actually got a really good deal on the setup and the four Bilstein 5160 shocks. I looked and looked but could not get my hands on the rest of the parts I needed from Nth. Bummer but perhaps I can come across the items I need in time.

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Let us know how the Rough Country LA upgrade works out.

After further consideration I have decided not to install a long arm lift on this Jeep. Hoping 4WP understands when I call tomorrow to try and return the Rough Country gear (nothing against the RC product just a decision made based on what direction I want to take with the rig). Looking at either just updating some of the short arm components for now with Currie short arms or doing a Savvy Mid arm lift which honestly looks like the best option all around. Reasoning for not doing the mid arm right now is the fact I plan to upgrade axle setup later so possibly just wait but sure would be nice to just do it now and buy new truss for front later (hopefully be able to cut the rear truss out). I think later when I do the axles they will simply be custom Dynatrac ProRock 44's front and rear, 35 inch tires is all that is necessary with this build. The Bilstein 5160 shocks that I purchased are going to be installed along with the Nth springs for now so I think that should help with ride comfort. Probably will not go with load range E tires next go round to see if that helps with driving comfort as a personal experiment. I have been on load range E for nearly ten years now so perhaps I may find I like something else better.

In the end I am going to be very cautious of what I do with this rig moving forward. As much as I liked the Nth Degree setup I ran on my TJR my hope is to find a way to get even better results with more correct geometry to keep the rig driving nice on road and no compromise off. Off Road performance is not the priority however I do not see why I should have to compromise that much if done correctly with both on and off road in mind during planning. On road taking more importance in the transitions of compromise for sure.

I'll keep things updated along with my TJR Genright/LS3 build so stay tuned.

·
Premium Member
3,051 Posts
im in the middle of the savvy mid arm lift on the LJ. So I have a couple comments based on the fact that I did a DIY lift years on the TJ year ago. The setup isn't much different than the standard brackets you can buy.
The front one is different with the UCA mount higher than the standard ones. The rears appear to be bout the same. I am sure there are more differences than that, not knocking them at all just an observation. The front truss is nice and fits well and I can't think of another as good. It was a pain years ago on the front axle housing. This one was simple. The rear, again, similar to others. But overall really good. It was nice to now need to figure out much mounting the truss's.
The instructions for the kit were less than desirable. Basically a link to a forum vs a professionally printed set of instructions. But this is the case with many of their products. Shipping time was a bit more than I expected as well.
Overall its priced very fair for all the components you get. I didn't get their springs or shocks, but probably should of.
Not sure how well it drives yet, hoping to know that in a couple weeks. Not sure I will think its much different than the TJ with the polly mounts from back in the day.

I would also say, but what ever LJ products you may want in the next couple years now. They are getting harder and harder to find or have long lead times to build the stuff.

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
I would also say, buy what ever LJ products you may want in the next couple years now. They are getting harder and harder to find or have long lead times to build the stuff.
That is no doubt the case. JSS told me when I was down there they no longer work on CJs, just a decision that was made based on their natural age. Old rigs are a pita to work on or can be at least. Hopefully I can find everything I need, may just start collecting parts as I would like to do everything at once.

Let me know, once you get to drive on it, how you like the Savvy setup. I am really looking for a reasonable solution to making this rig drive great again. Main goal is to see the rig drive straight in it's own lane and to have tight steering. Off road characteristics are important but secondary to everyday drivability. No way I want to go advanced as my TJR but definitely need a permanent, one time, solution that will not leave me sorry I spent the money.

81 - 91 of 91 Posts