Rubicon Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
I don't know about more lift, but I would look at the sway bar links and control arm bushings. Since everything else is new and you noted a control arm problem previously.

Though sway bar links usually clank metal on metal as the ball joint end fails at the bar.

Check the isolation pad at the top of the spring tower. Also do you have the lower spring retainers? check that the springs aren't rotating as you cycle suspension... you can spray lube in the spring seat and see if it changes creak.

Though creaking I usually track down to a control arm bushing that's loose or failing, or on a joint that needs lube. Always tighten the clevite rubber style control arm bolts/bushings with vehicle at rest on the tires. It can be worth the time to loosen them all, and retorque all the bolts- dont forget anti seize the bolts and sleeves

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
^^^ All good suggestions. I didn't mention in the previous post but I also suspect the sway bar links are too short and may be the culprit for the noise. I will be installing the new JKS discos tomorrow so I will see if that does the trick.

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Detached the rusty/faulty front sway bar links and found them to be tight then took it for a drive and all is good.. no more noise. Need to get the rig aligned then in the near future get the cooler and pump for the AGR box and install. I would like to get the box installed now but I don't want to run it until I can properly cool it. Going to try and get the JKS sway bar connects on and properly adjusted, hopefully the noise doesn't come back once I get them installed. Rig is already driving better and I am looking forward to getting the BL, MML and new body mounts on so I can mount up the Tummy Tucker which could potentially open a whole new can of worms with the 4WD shifter. We shall see.

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Relatively easy install.. the JKS disconnects are now installed. Jeep is driving tight and the noise did not come back so that is good.

Installed..

Looking to dive into the install of the MML, new Body Mounts and BL tomorrow so I can install the Tummy Tucker. Fingers crossed things go smoothly. I will be relocating the locker pumps more than likely and taking note of rust spots as I remove old components.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Please post info on your locker pump relocation if you move them to the ABS tray, especially how you do the wiring.

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Well I finally got the BL, MML and Tummy Tucker installed as well as some other parts and we replaced some bushings and replaced the Body Mounts and the results have the Jeep driving well again. We purchased this rig about 13 months ago and still I am having surprises with this rig that leave me mind blown. As if the fact I found out the rig's title had been washed when I went to register the rig here in NV wasn't enough I also found out last week that the PO removed the front Rubicon D44 and 241OR transfer case and replaced them with a D30 without a locker and a 231j transfer case. Pissed doesn't even begin to describe how upset I am with the previous owner. The PO was also a cop on Long Island so goes to show you can't trust people just because of their profession/credits. To put it out there and to help any of you avoid a scam artist his name is Craig LaMountain so don't ever do business with this sk*nk of a human. Whether he knew what happened or not I definitely feel he had something to do with washing the title. Total I estimate I have lost well over $8K on this transaction between the axle, t-case and title. This doesn't include the many other parts I am in the process of replacing like the center console someone destroyed with they ripped it out to install a new speaker in the sub console. They also cut out the limited number badge on the dash so I had to get a new badge and dash plate (only one left in existence, Chrysler made one extra for each RS). I am still seeking advice on my options for recourse however I believe I am the benefactor of a raw deal. I have a friend of mine that is going to call an attorney friend of his and see if there is anything he can do to help even if it's just some advice. As in any deal in life like this I will learn from my mistakes.

With that said here are some pics of the Tummy Tucker installed. The 4WD shifter was majorly jacked up by whatever idiot installed the lift and the spacers for the original skid plate. I was able to get that fixed properly so now I don't have to worry about it kicking out of 4WD which almost caused my GF to crash the rig last winter when she spun out going up hill. The shifter and mounts were so jacked up I don't even want to begin to explain the nightmare.

And here is a photo of the jacked up dash plate. This is a good indicator that the POs had know idea what they had and with all the other abuse this vehicle took this just sums it up.

And due to the center console condition I removed it and currently looking for a replacement or new idea for a custom console.

We are looking to install the Nth 4.5" lift next spring and I may have to go ahead and bite the bullet and install a new front Dynatrac axle on the front. If I can I will hold out on the rear axle until I go to install the Hemi engine, a D60 will be a must at that point. Have some other mods/upgrades going down over the winter like replacing all the steering with PSC parts, new Radiator and I'll have some new skids going under it as well. At this point I'm just looking forward to getting this rig fixed up and in tip top condition. I guess the positive here is the rig found a good home with a new custodian that will care for her.

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
The title was washed? Like in a washing machine?

I can't believe someone would swap the axle and t-case. I hope...hope the PO didn't know. That would be downright terrible of him.

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
The title was washed? Like in a washing machine?

I can't believe someone would swap the axle and t-case. I hope...hope the PO didn't know. That would be downright terrible of him.

So I read my post from earlier again and it's pretty harsh on the PO and I should clarify I have no proof he knew if the axle or t-case had been removed and replaced with inferior units. HOWEVER, he is either really dumb or he had something to do with the swap. I don't really know what to believe on that note. My trust for him is in the toilet because I believe he has been less than honest with me about the salvaged title. Also the photos I reviewed left out many damages to the vehicle and he further didn't disclose any issues that I discovered in the first days of ownership (once it arrived). To answer your question Ian, a 'washed' title is a phrase describing a vehicle with a salvage title and one will buy it and move it across state lines in attempt to gain a clean, non salvaged title. I am not sure what all that entails (to pull off at least) because I am not a thief but when it comes to crooked things some people excel. Google title washing and this is the quick definition that pops up: 'These differences are sometimes exploited by schemes such as "title washing", in which a vehicle branded as 'junk' in one jurisdiction is registered in another, moving from state to state until one state with slightly different regulations brands the same vehicle as 'salvage' but repairable.'. In my case the state of New York never branded the subject as 'Salvage' due to someone with connections and the vehicle was awarded a clean title once moved to NY. Once it traveled back out of the state of NY it was caught by my state of Nevada and rebranded salvaged again. Let this be a lesson to all reading my posts, watch what you buy when you buy a used vehicle out of state.

·
Premium Member
3,051 Posts
Wow, that all sucks.

I've been looking for an LJ to buy lately and this make me even more skeptical than I already was.

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
W. T. F!? I am sorry that you are dealing with all this.

·
Premium Member
964 Posts
Does the vin show it as a Rubicon? Sounds like a Golden Eagle with a Rubicon decal. Still shady.

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Does the vin show it as a Rubicon? Sounds like a Golden Eagle with a Rubicon decal. Still shady.
No it's a Rubicon Sahara. I have purchased the destroyed numbered badge and they will only sell the only backup to the owner of the correct VIN.

With that said I just wanted to share my experience so others could learn. It has been a frustrating ordeal however the dog dung hit the fan once I found out the t-case and front axle had been replaced with inferior parts. The sad part is this is a numbered and limited edition vehicle and for the PO's to have been so careless with it is very frustrating. I figured I would have some surprises however the surprises are still coming and so careless. In the end the rig is home (like rescuing a pet) and will be well cared for and upgraded with precision. It still has great potential just going to cost me way more than I bargained. I am still considering my options but I am going to think about this for a while before I act. I am sure nothing will come from my actions but at this point I'm willing to drag a man's name through the dirt if I have to if he doesn't, at minimum, communicate with me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Damn man, that blows. Never good to hear someone getting ripped. Especially on both of your Jeeps from multiple parties. Unreal.

My neighbor has a locking center console in his garage off of his 04 TJR . I never had a reason to look at it since both of my Rubis the consoles have been fine. I can ask him about it and get some pics if you'd like. He has no plans of using it ever again.

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Damn man, that blows. Never good to hear someone getting ripped. Especially on both of your Jeeps from multiple parties. Unreal.

My neighbor has a locking center console in his garage off of his 04 TJR . I never had a reason to look at it since both of my Rubis the consoles have been fine. I can ask him about it and get some pics if you'd like. He has no plans of using it ever again.
Thanks for the consideration. Yeah it's been a frustrating road. I have found some good peps to help me from here on out including Jeep Speed Shop and Dr. Smash Designs. I look to build a great relationship with both of those shops.

As for the console I may be interested but I am still figuring what I want to do in that spot. I have the stock console out of my TJ Rubicon however it is the wrong color. Thinking I may do something custom. If he is interested in selling it let me know the condition and what he's looking to get and I may consider it.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
................ I'm willing to drag a man's name through the dirt if I have to if he doesn't, at minimum, communicate with me.

That's the least you should do. Lawsuit maybe too???? Sometimes just the threat of one is enough to get someone's attention.

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
That's the least you should do. Lawsuit maybe too???? Sometimes just the threat of one is enough to get someone's attention.

Sure. But the problem with a lawsuit is it takes time and money and there is no guarantee you will get anything back. In fact the attorney fees will far out weigh the loss I have absorbed at this point. This is maybe a small claims court issue or something. Lawsuits suck and they are very frustrating and I don't know if something like that is worth it over $8 to 10 grand. I would like to consult with an attorney to see what they have to say is my best option but I am afraid there is not much I can do to get some money back. I would be happy to settle for a new Dynatrac axle from him tho. :wink2:

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
A threat of a lawsuit costs nothing. Consulting a lawyer is always a good idea before taking any legal action. I definitely wasn't suggesting that you jump into anything without weighing all your options.

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
A threat of a lawsuit costs nothing. Consulting a lawyer is always a good idea before taking any legal action. I definitely wasn't suggesting that you jump into anything without weighing all your options.
Agreed. I'm thinking a letter from a lawyer would be the best scare however I don't think that alone will send him to the bank.

·
Administrator
10,542 Posts
Even if you get a judgement against somebody, you still have to collect it which could be impossible. I took a small auto repair shop to small claims court many years ago (for almost destroying our V6 engine in a Volvo when they replaced the cam), got a judgement and the shop owner declared bankruptcy. Had the car towed to another shop and after another thousand bucks, we were back on the road.

41 - 60 of 91 Posts