Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Title says it all.

The newest member of our Jeep family, a 2003 Flame Red Rubicon, will join our other two Jeep WJ's next Monday or Tuesday.

After driving a CJ and YJ on our last trip to Moab in June, my wife has decided that she wants to be a driver not a passanger. The Rubicon was a no brainer choice, since she insisted that her rig be able to keep up with my highly modified WJ.

I have been reading as many of the posts on the forum as I can to get up to speed on the mods for the Rubi. A whole different ball game than modifing the WJ. I must say that this forum is way better than JU. Seems to be a great group.

So-o-o-o, after absorbing what seems to be a ton of information from all the posts, here is what I am shooting for over the next 6-8 weeks before we head down to Moab at the end of October.

Lift - RE 4.5" Extreame Duty Long Arm Kit
Driveline - Tom Wood's Rubicon CV
Spacer/Adapter - Spidertrax WHS-002 1.25" Spacer for the Moab Wheels
Tires - 305/70R16 MTR's (33's)
Front Bumper - Hanson with grill & fender guards or SMF
Rear Bumper - Hanson or SMF with tire carrier
Winch - Warn 9.5ti
Skid Plates - ????
Rock Sliderz - Jeepeman, Olympic 4X4, Hanson, ????
Fender Flares - Bushwacker Pocket Style

I am strongly leaning toward the RE since it appears the engineering is better than the Skyjacker system. Mainly because of the upper control arms from what RE has told me as well as others. Also, since the RE LA systems are all the same except for the coils, (and shocks), it leaves me the flexibility to go higher. I am holding off on the ORO AiRock system till it has had more time to prove itself. And if I do want to go to 35's, I can do that with just a 2" body lift.

I do have some reservations about the spacer/adapter, but I would really like to keep the stock wheels. It is a little unnerving to have people say that wheels could fall off. But, of course, Spidetrax says that won't happen if they are correctly installed. ??????

I really am trying to get this mod program right the first time. I spent a whole lot of money on the WJ's mods that went on and then came off as the darkside grabbed me. Am hoping to avoid the same thing with our Rubi.

Any comments, suggestions, or other help would be greatly appreciated.

If you want to see the WJ's almost completed mods, click on the link in my signature. Almost completed because the Atlas II TC goes in after Labor Day.

Bill

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
welcome and congrats on the new rubi

i would skip the spacers...the 305/70/R16`s will fit on stock rims.

:wink:

·
Registered
556 Posts
Welcome to the board! And yes these are a great group to talk with and awesome at all your questions too. Sounds like you are heading in the right direction for your mods. A couple personal opinions. Stay away from body lifts greater than 1.25". I 've heard all the bad stories about bodies shifting off frames but I doubt that would happen often but you want to keep a low center of gravity. Body lift are like weed: great in moderation but if you get to "high" you fall over more often. Also may I reccomend you talk with a member here named Medic3720. He has a small fab operation that produces some awesome skid protection. Hell of a guy too!!! Good luck with all the upgrades and keep us popsted with write ups and pics!!!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Congrats on the new member of the family!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
4x4mac
i would skip the spacers...the 305/70/R16`s will fit on stock rims.
Really? Won't I be loosing turning radius? How about at full stuff? If I do not the wheel spacers that would be fine with me.

digdugtj

Thanks I will look up medic3720. I had been told that the body lifts actually kept the CG lower and didn't change driveline issues.

Bill

G

·
0 Posts
Won't I be loosing turning radius?
I had slight rubbing on one side at full lock/articulation which was solved by inserting a washer in the steering stop. The loss of turning radius was so slight I have not noticed it.

Bill :)

·
Registered
586 Posts
The mods sound great, your wife will have a ton of fun. This forum is the perfect place for all us new Rubi owners to swap info without insults.

Roger

G

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the forum, you list looks like a great starting point, as you already know having the WJ. There is always something new.

You can also look at Toys by Troy. He has some new products out. Raised gas tank skid, and some real nice new rockers skidz. Jeeperman makes some outstanding products also. Rocker skidz really all depend on how much clearance you want along the sides. I think Serious Metal Fab also has a set of skidz that bolt into the existing holes on the rocker.

Ask away on your questions, we'll try to answer them. You can also poke you head into chat, a bunch of us "No lifers." BS there in the evenings.

Ron

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PBR Stitch, thanks. Just called Toys By Troy and they are emailing me pics of some of their goodies. The sport roll cage looks like something I will be interested in. Will be keeping my eye out for other cage options to compare.

Bill

·
Registered
454 Posts
If you are looking at a tXt cage then you should also take a look at the Poison Spider cage. They look awesome. That is most likely the cage I'm going with. The only trouble is that it requires a little welding and the txt cage doesn't.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Congrats..... :D

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
For belly protection I suggest nth degree mobility or medics skid. For the gas tank skid the Kilby skid looks to be a very nice product. Don't go over 1.25 inches with the BL like suggested above, and it wouldn't hurt to upgrade those bolts to grade 8 bolts.

As far as wheel spacers go I think the shift outwards would make the jeep more stable and look better, IMHO. later Brian

1 - 13 of 13 Posts