Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Sorry about the header...I got lost in my geography...It's Nevada!!! I'm standing by to receive all the incoming flak in 3, 2, 1...

Hello, Nevada folks!!

Both Reno and Las Vegas has a job that requires me to be at either place for one year and then I move out to Elko from Reno and I forget where to from Las Vegas. I looked up Elko and it seems the pace I am looking for ultimately although I don't know about that first year in Reno or Las Vegas. I really don't want to go to Las Vegas at all. So I am going to take that one off the list. No offense to the Las Vegas folks here....it's just not my jam. What's Reno like? Is there decent housing? Safe? How are the commutes to work? I really don't want to do the San Diego 1-1/2 hour one-way dance... Thanks for all the discussions.

·
Registered
385 Posts
That would be an absolute no brainer for me... flame suit on :)

The weather, scenery and open views north of Reno can't be beat in my opinion.
We have a spot picked out south of Pyramid lake when we are able to swing it.

Sierrabob lives up that way somwhere.
We were supposed to meet up with him when we were touring the northern part of Nevada for a home, but couldn't get our scheduling to work.

We checked out Elko/Spring Creek area too, but the winters seemed cooler and it was too far away from our daughter in CA.

As far as commuting, I don't have any actual experience, but they have several multi lane interstates and highways all through the western half on NV.
There are nice places south of Reno too that have easy access to the Reno area.
I guess it depends on where your worksite will be.
Sorry to give my opinion based on my limited experience, but if your commute now is anything like east bay to SF then I think anywhere in NV to Reno would be like a walk in the park.

·
Administrator
15,086 Posts
stay as far away as possible from anything Las Vegas ( not hurting my feel'n )

i'm in the hills of Henderson,NV ( moved here in 1995 ) i can see Las Vegas from here..

I have Family that moved to Sparks, NV and friends in Carson City area

it's crowded anywhere you go.

Elko is nice...but toooo cold in winter for me

Good luck on your pick!
:wink2:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Las Vegas...IMO SUCKS.

Reno or Elko best choice.

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
I'll be up there in a week or so looking around the Sparks area. I've been in the area many times over the years. I had an aunt when I was a kid who lived just south of Reno, and whenever she would visit us in the SF bay area, she would always tell us that it was much better in Nevada and to move up there, and that was many years ago! lol
Yea, I'll soon be out of here too...

·
3,328 Posts
Corrected the thread title for you...not that Utah is a bad place, but you'll get more Nevada attention with it fixed!:wink2:

·
Registered
3 Posts
stay as far away as possible from anything Las Vegas ( not hurting my feel'n )

i'm in the hills of Henderson,NV ( moved here in 1995 ) i can see Las Vegas from here..

I have Family that moved to Sparks, NV and friends in Carson City area

Hey Mac landed here a year ago!

Been in area since 6/25/18. We live in Fernley 35 miles east. Is nice and quiet compared to Reno/Sparks and we like it! Tons of BLM as well as all the trails in Sierra as well as the desert and surrounding mountain ranges. Relatively mild winters although we had several snow storms last winter. Certainly less than in Reno/Sparks as just doesn’t get this far as often. Planning on staying here as long as can!

·
Administrator
15,086 Posts
Thanks!

First under this handle! And first in probably 8-10 years. :surprise:
what was the old one...possible we can restore it
PM me or JohnC.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts