Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 TJ Rubicon - My mechanic is R&Ring the front dif pinion bearing, which was mucho bad. He just texted me saying - "the front locker has a bad actuator and he can't repair it, it's not engaging properly" - it's one he fixed for me 4 years ago when the locker light would just blink and never engage, so I think it's been going bad for a while now. He said there are no new ones available but several used on eBay for $1K !!

So, I thought I better check here and on ROF to see if anyone has a working new or used one they would like to sell.

If not, I'd appreciate suggestions on what other locker to go with that would, hopefully, use the same switch in the Rubi.

TIA, Michael

·
Super Moderator
2,517 Posts
There was a guy on here a couple of years back, who was resourcing used repairable locker pumps. I think he was based in Colorado. We really haven’t heard from him much after that.

There’s no way I’d pay $1k for a pump.

I personally will go ARB if I ever experience your situation. I had them on my CJ7 for twenty years without a glitch. I liked their reputation, durability, and the way consistently switched on or off immediately.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There was a guy on here a couple of years back, who was resourcing used repairable locker pumps. I think he was based in Colorado. We really haven’t heard from him much after that.

There’s no way I’d pay $1k for a pump.

I personally will go ARB if I ever experience your situation. I had them on my CJ7 for twenty years without a glitch. I liked their reputation, durability, and the way consistently switched on or off immediately.
I had ARBs on my CJ7 also !! Great lockers. On the TJ (I still have to speak to my mechanic), I don't think it's the pump, it's the part inside the dif that the pump goes to.

·
Administrator
11,908 Posts
Usually it's the rear locker that self-destructs; when the OEM lockers were available (for the TJ/LJ) they were about $1K.

Another vote for ARB but the 4x4 shop I used in Montrose, CO preferred the E lockers. My rear had ARBs in both the D44 and then the D60 - never a moment's problem in either setup.

·
Super Moderator
3,869 Posts
Usually it's the rear locker that self-destructs; when the OEM lockers were available (for the TJ/LJ) they were about $1K.

Another vote for ARB but the 4x4 shop I used in Montrose, CO preferred the E lockers. My rear had ARBs in both the D44 and then the D60 - never a moment's problem in either setup.
x2 on everything John said. Since you use your jeep as intended, it is worthy of an ARB

·
Registered
1,760 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
You are correct, I did not see an out of stock notice, but once I read the add more carefully the part is drop shipped from Crown based on their availability, I will keep my eyes open for one

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And I learned what an actuator is. Nice!
You joined ROF 12 days before I did !! I thought you would know. lol But I didn't either. Always wondered where the pump was pumping air to !!!

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
I can't help you today, but I'm undergoing locker issues and once I've figured out which route I'm going with my setup, I'd be happy to see what parts I have leftover and hopefully I can help you out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts