Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm planning a 2 weeks long back roads and trails trip with my adult son using my 04 Jeep TJR beginning May 10th. Round trip from Springfield, MO to the Land between the Lakes area in western KY to Lynchburg, TN to Chattanooga, TN to Asheville, NC area then return a more northern route through northern KY to cross the Mississippi at Wickliffe, KY. Any must see places, rustic campsite, or ideas any where near our route are appreciated. Mainly need information on the Land Between the Lakes area, Smoky Mountain area, and the Asheville area. I haven't begun looking into the return route yet so any thing there too. We will tent camp 2-3 nights then a hotel for a night then camp again. The more secluded I can make the route the better with the understanding we will be solo and need to drive home so no rock climbing or winching routes please.
Thanks in advance, Kevin

·
Registered
6 Posts
On the Chattanooga to Asheville leg, I'd suggest going through Ducktown to Murphy, NC, up through Bryson City and Cherokee to Asheville. Lots of pretty scenery through there and options for side trips. Could also consider Cherohala Skyway from Tellico Plains, TN to Robbinsville, NC. Tail of the Dragon is another option near Fontana Dam. You can get into Cherokee National Forest and the Smokies as you want. Sounds like a fun trip!

Van

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
3,369 Posts
Look at Turkey Bay OHV at land between the lakes.

Opposite end of KY there is a lot of trails for hiking and jeeps, but it doesn't sound like you will be in that area (natural bridge, Slade Ky). If you find yourself on that end of KY, look up Kentucky Krawlers here on the website or search for the group page on facebook. There will be a lot of people that will be more than willing to show you around. If you go here, eat at Miguels Pizza... it won't be hard to find.

Also in KY is Black Mountain OHV, it is near the KY, TN, VA borders or sorts.

·
3,369 Posts
OH, smoky Mts....... LOVE gatlinburg, course it is touristy as heck. But you will want to see Cades Cove, lots of wildlife and hiking trails. I personally like the Abrams falls hiking trail. Also there is a TON of trails and scenic views off the Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail. Clingmans dome and Newfoundland gap are also high profile scenic spots.

If you want a good steakhouse in Gatlinburg, call and put your name on the list at 3pm at The Peddler Steakhouse. Good place.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help. I'm now looking for routes in the Pisgah National Forest traveling NE into the Cherokee National Forest.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've received a lot of great ideas from this site as well as two other sites. Thanks to all.
So far, I've planned our route to Hot Springs, NC and now I'm searching for interesting routes, landmarks, primitive campsites, lodging, Mom & Pop diners, and anything interesting from Hot Springs, NC to the middle of Kentucky (Makers Mark Distillery tour) then west to the Mississippi river. Thanks again!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've received a lot of great ideas from this site as well as two other sites. Thanks to all.
So far, I've planned our route to Hot Springs, NC and now I'm searching for interesting routes, landmarks, primitive campsites, lodging, Mom & Pop diners, and anything interesting from Hot Springs, NC to the middle of Kentucky (Makers Mark Distillery tour) then west to the Mississippi river. Thanks again!
The Jim Beam Distillery is a great tour as well. Don't forget about Woodford's and Castle and Key Distilleries, these offer great tours too.
The Daniel Boone National Forest is a great spot. They have a loop called the Danial Boone Back country Byway, 96 miles long through so great scenery.
I highly recommend Miguel's Pizza as well, no dress code(obviously) and dry county, BYOB. The pizza is amazing though.
I was there last November, and am going back for the week of the fourth of July, liked it that much!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Jim Beam Distillery is a great tour as well. Don't forget about Woodford's and Castle and Key Distilleries, these offer great tours too.
The Daniel Boone National Forest is a great spot. They have a loop called the Danial Boone Back country Byway, 96 miles long through so great scenery.
I highly recommend Miguel's Pizza as well, no dress code(obviously) and dry county, BYOB. The pizza is amazing though.
I was there last November, and am going back for the week of the fourth of July, liked it that much!
You're the second person to recommend Miguel's Pizza. What city is it located? I was considering traveling as far north as Evansville, IN just to have Turoni's Pizza. Any of your Daniel Boone National Forest route run east to west? I'll try to include it. More details if you have them please. Thanks

·
3,369 Posts
You're the second person to recommend Miguel's Pizza. What city is it located? I was considering traveling as far north as Evansville, IN just to have Turoni's Pizza. Any of your Daniel Boone National Forest route run east to west? I'll try to include it. More details if you have them please. Thanks
Slade, Ky. 1890 Natural Bridge Rd, Slade, KY 40376

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2,100 miles later and we are back home and the Jeep did great! Had an awesome time with my son. Overall the trip went very well but we had a few frustrating moments with closed campsites, roads closed without advance warning one was a 70 mile backtrack, and trails closed for "winter".
Hammock camping is so comfortable and much easier than tent camping.
Thanks to everyone for their help.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts