Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone post a pic of the rear dirve train and draw a line on the diff showing where I would measure the angle?
Got my UCAs in tonight and I want to try to get them in. Just not sure where to measure at.
Also, when adjusting the angle, someone said to use a jack to raise the pinion. Do I remove the upper CAs, and measure and adjust with full weight on the springs? Or do I measure, unload, remove, install, drop, check, then redo again?
I am so confused :wtf:
Thanx,
Brian

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Tigger:

You adjust with weight on wheels.

Place a bottle jack under the diff yoke. Disconnect the adjustable end of your upper CAs. Raise the pinion so it points at your transfer case yoke. Adjust your CA lengths so they fit at this point. Reinstall the CA bolts. Remove the jack, and tighten the CA bolts. Bounce the suspension, or move the Jeep back and forth in the driveway to settle everything out. Don't forget to remove the jack.

Now, position the Jeep so the diff yoke is vertical. Measure the angle of the yoke with a protractor or angle gauge. Make sure the gauge is square on the yoke. Some folks put a socket in the u-joint hole and measure off the u-joint to make sure everything is flat and square. Write down the angle you measure.

Next, move the Jeep so the driveshaft turns 90 degrees. The rear DS yoke will now be vertical. Measure and record this angle the same way as the diff yoke.

The difference between the 2 angles should be -1 degree or less. That means the diff yoke should be at the same angle as the DS yoke or no more than 1 degree lower. If you are off a significant amount, you'll be able to see it at the rear u-joint.

Don't forget to torque your CA bolts to the correct value.

If you don't get these results, you'll hjave to readjust the CAs. And yes, it's a PITA. I have to do the same to mine this weekend.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx guys

1 - 4 of 4 Posts