Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon AEV
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm wanting to improve the sound quality from my 2015 JK by installing a cat back exhaust. I usually never buy anything for a vehicle that doesn't improve it's performance or safety in some way but mufflers seem like the only exception. I'm changing the exhaust strictly because I don't like the rather wimpy sound my Jeep makes. I know sound is a very individual choice so what I'm asking for is opinions on what manufacturers make a quality system.
Thanks in advance, K

·
Registered
773 Posts
After going through tons of reviews I am still undecided.
I have a customer with Flow master exhaust and it is the best I have experienced in real life.

I am going to upgrade mine this winter but am looking to get rid of the trash can under the rear. Right now I am leaning towards a Magna Flow overland series. I would like better sound but any sort of drone is a deal breaker.

Nice sounding exhaust is the worst thing you could do for fuel consumption.

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon AEV
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After going through tons of reviews I am still undecided.
I have a customer with Flow master exhaust and it is the best I have experienced in real life.

I am going to upgrade mine this winter but am looking to get rid of the trash can under the rear. Right now I am leaning towards a Magna Flow overland series. I would like better sound but any sort of drone is a deal breaker.

Nice sounding exhaust is the worst thing you could do for fuel consumption.
Thanks for your input. Why do you say nice sounding exhaust harms fuel economy?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Every exhaust I have done leads to full throttle from every traffic light.

·
2,198 Posts
In high school and college I rode around with a friend that droned everywhere. I’m not looking forward to choosing a rear cat or muffler. I like it when “animals” can’t hear me too.

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon AEV
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I had a sports car with a Borla exhaust but I forgot about Borla, Thanks.
I want a little more aggressive sound at idle and under throttle without drone. I can't stand driving any vehicle with an exhaust drone.

·
Premium Member
1,360 Posts
I have the American Thunder exhaust, I think it is a Magnaflow product. Much better rear ground clearance with the stock muffler gone. Good quality, some may say it has a little drone, I think it sounds more throaty. I am out of town tomorrow, but when I get back I will try to get you a recording of it.. I like to be able to gauge the rpm by sound when wheeling, the stock muffler is way too quiet, you look down and you are twisting 4 grand on the tach for no reason. If you can hear the exhaust you can regulate engine rpm better.

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon AEV
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the American Thunder exhaust, I think it is a Magnaflow product. Much better rear ground clearance with the stock muffler gone. Good quality, some may say it has a little drone, I think it sounds more throaty. I am out of town tomorrow, but when I get back I will try to get you a recording of it.. I like to be able to gauge the rpm by sound when wheeling, the stock muffler is way too quiet, you look down and you are twisting 4 grand on the tach for no reason. If you can hear the exhaust you can regulate engine rpm better.
Thanks for the offer to post a video of your exhaust sound. I found the American Thunder series on FlowMaster's website.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,653 Posts
I've had good success with Magnaflow.
have installed both Cats and Mufflers

·
2,198 Posts
My aftermarket exhaust is Magnaflow. I’m sure when I get the remainder replaced it will be the same.
NOTE…I burned out a pre-cat on the Magnaflow and was able to get a new pre-cat welded on without buying all new. Magnaflow did not offer sections or parts. My exhaust guy purchased a California approved pre-cat from another source.
NOTE to the note…I just looked up 2004 Jeep TJ on both Amazon and the Magnaflow site for California and no exhaust was available.
Edit- Found on Amazon for $2820. Now you know why I was highly motivated to get just the one pre-cat replaced.

Reactions: KMG

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a CA 2004 Rubi. I got a 50 state approved AFE (Advanced Flow Engineering) full stainless Cat Back and am very pleased with it. My mileage went up about 1 mpg. And the power increase if you really get on it is very noticeable. I like it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi. Wolf here. AFE is an awesome company. Have a lot of great stuff. Well made here in USA. They are in Corona, CA. I think their prices are fair and have been happy with everything i have bought from them. Here is a pic from their catalog of what I got. The best thing is I live in a salt state and near the beach too. So the stainless steel is the best. I have a lift and the way they mandrel bent stuff to clear everything is amazing. They also have cats including CA ULEV vehicles with 3 cat like mine. Here is a pic.
Font Automotive design Rectangle Elbow Logo

·
2,198 Posts
Thanks. I wasn’t sure what AFE referred to.

·
Premium Member
6,188 Posts
On my '17 JKUR I cut the exhaust off at the resonator and attached a cheap ($35) Trush muffler behind it and dumped the exhaust out in front of the axle. Sounds just right. Added 120 HP and 112 Ft Lb torque. LOL

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon AEV
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
On my '17 JKUR I cut the exhaust off at the resonator and attached a cheap ($35) Trush muffler behind it and dumped the exhaust out in front of the axle. Sounds just right. Added 120 HP and 112 Ft Lb torque. LOL
Thanks for the feedback. I thought only a Cold Air Intake could produce big increases like that! :)
I chose a FlowMaster HP-2 muffler. I've decided to leave the resonator and have the HP-2 installed directly behind the resonator like you did but I'll extend the exhaust over the axle.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts