Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. You’re being generous though. That was my first time at vertical welding and they weren’t pretty. I welded the receiver tube at 90 degrees to the plate. When I fit the plate on the frame the receiver tube extended at a weird angle. I had missed the fact that the TJ frame is tapered toward the front. Instead of redoing everything, I welded a shim and got the right angle back. As it turns out, I think I like it that the shim lets air circulate between the mounting plate and the frame. If I want, I can shove some grease back there to mitigate rust. I want a Miller 211 so bad!ly. Welding without slag would be a dream. Learning on a buzz box has been the right way to go.

·
Administrator
11,795 Posts
I struggled with vertical welding as well even with MIG. I found pull welding, starting at the top and welding down made a better looking weld but push welding made better penetration and is generally preferred. Swinging the electrode back and forth in the joint helps to keep centered in the joint, for me anyway.

·
Super Moderator
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh you did go there….

Okay, maybe it’s because I’m an awesome driver that drove it virtually stock on trails from California to Utah and only caused my 9 knee surgery wife to need help just weeks ago. BOOYAH

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,522 Posts
Looks good. The trick is to get it to fold up. If you put a heavy duty hinge on the top left joint and a spring door closer, it will fold up when not in use to raise clearance.

·
Super Moderator
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I considered that. She doesn’t need it to exit so I pull it out of the receiver and throw it in the back. If the receiver hitting becomes a problem, I’ll make a roller to insert.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I’ve always loved my front receiver “backing” trailers into tight spots but never thought about a side mount receiver 😜😜

Reactions: johncanfield
1 - 14 of 14 Posts