1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A JKU-R has been a thought for the last 2.5 years, as described in this thread

I decided it was finally time.

Here it is.....

Silver 2012 JKU-R Call Of Duty MW3 edition - #2516 of 3500. (no Rubicon decals on the hood - this package doesn't include them)

Interestingly enough, I had seen this Jeep several weeks prior when I was bored and stopped at the dealer on my way by. At that point, I had no intentions to buy anything. I didn't (couldn't) look at it very closely because it was up on the elevated ramp for display along the front line at the dealer's lot. At the time (several weeks ago) I didn't know it was a Rubi - I had no knowledge of the MW3 package. All I could see were black wheels and AEV bumpers.

Last weekend, I decided It was time to go shopping again. Sunday evening I saw online that the local still had this one, and I discovered it was a Rubi after I looked at the online window sticker. It was equipped exactly like I wanted as far as the other options were concerned.

Why did I buy the MW3? It was the only local Rubicon that had the options I wanted. I checked Dave Smith in Kellog, ID and none of their Rubicons were even close to what I wanted in options - in fact, every Rubicon they had was identically equipped to each other, though some were autos, some were 6 speeds.

The first three photos are what the dealer had on their website:

Delivery day - new and old.

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: My second Rubi - 2012 JKU

Extras included in the MW3 package are:

Non vented AEV styled hood
AEV front and rear bumpers - front bumper doesn't have the grill hoop, rear bumper doesn't have he tire carrier.
Rubicon model rocker guards with tubes, and what appears to be spray on bed-liner coating.
Black Moabs
Black fuel door
Bash guards on the tail lights (to keep them from getting damaged by runaway shopping carts while mall wheeling :evilbat: )
Cloth/Leather heated seats with embroidered logos
Instrument cluster with different colored gauges, plus logo.
Custom badging
Numbered edition on the passenger grab handle
Custom front floor mats
Custom rear tire cover (which I should remove so some punk gamer-kid doesn't steal it when I'm out mall wheeling :lildevil: )
Custom rear cargo area carpeted floor mat - which I should remove - it's pretty darn nice to be using as a cargo deck mat. :evilbat:

View of the hood:

OEM version of the AEV basic bumper. This bumper has no grill hoop.

Instruments: I'm not too fond of the blue numbers on the gauges- I can't see them while wearing sunglasses unless I turn on the parking lights. My truck is very similar in color, but the instrument lights are on all the time.

Passenger floor mat:

4 grab handles included too: I'm not sure is these were dealer additions or part of the MW3 package.

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Seats..... WOW, these things are a work of art.

Door panels:

White stitching:

Dash Grab handle:

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Exterior shots.

Prior to delivery, I had the front windows tinted.

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Logo badge on the fenders:

Fuel door:

Hood:

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I took delivery Wednesday June 20th.

I was somewhat disappointed that the front bumper didn't have the grill hoop in it. After some forum research, someone said the reason the hoop was not spec'd for the OEM package is because it blocked off-axis visibility of the front grill parking lights. Being that I am involved in lights and such, this made sense. Lights need to be visible at certain angles to meet FMVSS108/CMVSS108 regs.

Tuesday I called Northridge and asked questions about both the front and rear bumpers that came on the COD version. An add-on rear tire carrier is available.
One comment stuck in my head: "The front bumpers usually go out the door as fast as they come in."

Thursday morning I called Northridge 10 minutes after they opened. They had ONE AEV Premium bumper left in stock. I asked if they could install it if I arrived later in the day. The answer was yes, so I gave them my ETA and they put it on hold for me.

ROAD TRIP!! This is the exit to take to get to Northridge 4x4. It takes me about an hour to get there from where I live.

It turned in to an expensive day because I decided to get a winch too. I got a Warn 9.5 CTIS (S=Synthetic line)

I hadn't even owned the Jeep 24 hours yet and I was already taking things off and replacing them, as well as adding things!! :D :D

Working with rope instead of cable would be far easier while corralling the errant shopping carts while mall wheeling. :lildevil: :lildevil:

Prior to taking these photos, I took the hook off the line. I have another part that will be installed in place of the hook.
One of these:

http://www.northridge4x4.com/shop/facto ... ckle-mount

I saw them at Overland Expo last month - the manufacturer was there. They are USA Made, in Idaho

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts

Congrats.......sweet. I ended up with the same winch. I love the COD package. You fought the urge for a long time. :D

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Grimmjpr said:
You fought the urge for a long time. :D
Yes, I sure did.

When you posted that a few 2012's had arrived in SLC, I happend to be in SLC and searched out a dealer to test drive one!!
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=75969&hilit=2012

I know I will miss the TJ, but it was time to get something more practical for my daily driving needs, as well as for exploration, something I could load up more gear in and travel long distances with.

I've never obsessed and over-thought a vehicle purchase as much as I did this one. :lildevil:

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts

Yeah even though mine is a 2 door its awesome for camping trips and exploring....but the biggest difference is the drive to and from work and the comfort and power on the road which unfortunatly is where she spends most of her time......as much as i want to go crazy i'm keeping her mostly stock doing small upgrades without making it lousy to drive on road and drop the MPGs down to 12 haha.....

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Grimmjpr said:
Yeah even though mine is a 2 door its awesome for camping trips and exploring.
Being single, I could have lived with a 2 door, but went the 4 door route so I could get the higher tow capacity - not that I intend to tow 3500 lbs, but so I'd have the longer wheelbase to be more road-worthy for towing locally.

Since I want to do more exploring and longer distance travelling (and camping), rather than running trails, the 4 door will have lots of room for that.

Grimmjpr said:
....but the biggest difference is the drive to and from work and the comfort and power on the road which unfortunatly is where she spends most of her time.
This is how things have evolved for me...more road time. Yesterday marked the one year anniversary since my TJ was last on a "trail run."

Grimmjpr said:
...as much as i want to go crazy i'm keeping her mostly stock doing small upgrades without making it lousy to drive on road and drop the MPGs down to 12 haha.....
DITTO!! I hear ya. My TJ was getting about 11.5 around town. As much driving as I do locally, there's times I'd fill up every 4 days. I over-thought the logic of keeping the TJ along with a JK, but it just wasn't adding up - it was a "want" not a "need". Common sense prevailed, so it will go to a new owner.

The JK will remain mostly stock for the foreseeable future... it does need a leveling kit though.

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts

The JK will remain mostly stock for the foreseeable future... it does need a leveling kit though.
I'm not fond of the rake either and it does look more pronounced on the 4 door when i loaded mine up the rear was sagged quite a bit and at higher speeds off road it handled a bit funny...front was fine but the rear was unsettled....i eneded up adding a bit more rake with stiffer rear springs and i had already added stiffer front springs to offset the weight of the heavier front bumper and winch.......

Just a thought....

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts

inline6 said:
Nice, congrats
X2-Great looking rig! They really put a bunch of detail work into the COD package by the looks of things. What all is included with the package-just trim/badging or other stuff too? Basically a Rubi with trim then or any other differences? They had an "Arctic Edition" here for a day or two that was some interesting white color that looked pretty good I thought, which also came with the flat black hood inlay like Tenacious did on his JK years back. Has the Yeti or snow beast thing stitched into the seats then a bunch of heating upgrades-block heater, heated seats, more powerful interior heater, forget what else. So many options available now on these things it's hard to keep up.

Anyway, looks great! Love the color too! :D

Best of Luck,

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

[quote='05TJLWBRUBY] What all is included with the package-just trim/badging or other stuff too? Basically a Rubi with trim then or any other differences? [/quote]

Differences other than "cosmetic" items:
Front and rear AEV bumpers
Non vented AEV hood
Rubicon ROcker guards with tubes welded on, which are also coated with a spray-on bed liner.

I now see why painting the AEV hood black in the middle is the new thing.... the way the hood bulge slopes (well, the LACK of slope on it) causes the sun the glare back in my face while driving, if the sun is at the right (wrong) angle!!

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
kidmugg said:
That thing is begging to be lifted.
Yes it is. :D

I sent an email to Northridge tonight after they closed, begging for help! Right now I'm looking for ideas to at least bring it back level, maybe a mild lift too. I don't want to increase the tire size for a while, so a mild lift would be OK.

·
10,151 Posts
Nice ride. You might want to think about a few drain holes in that slope or making sure it's clear of ice in the winter. Heard reports of ice freezing in there and then suddenly coming out and into the windshield.

Ron

·
Administrator
15,196 Posts
Congratts !

:D

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
PBR_Stitch said:
Nice ride. You might want to think about a few drain holes in that slope or making sure it's clear of ice in the winter. Heard reports of ice freezing in there and then suddenly coming out and into the windshield.

Ron
A friend's wife mentioned the same thing about water freezing in the low spot.

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 53 Posts