Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah... just as it says. I was driving down the freeway into town to look at a house to potentially buy and the check engine light came on. So I thought, let me see if I shut off the engine and restart if it'll go out. I pushed in the clutch, shut it off, tried to restart and nothing, tried again, nothing, tried again, nothing... as I decelerated I pulled over and tried several more times... just cranks but will not start.
I called the local stealership and told them I was on the way. Tried starting it again and nothing, just cranks.
Called a tow that has a flatbed and while they were on the way tried to start it several times, nothing, just cranks.
Cop showed up and I just told him life sucks and he left. Tried starting it again, nothing, just cranks.
Tow showed up, loaded it up and took it to the stealership for $255. The stealership said they can't get to it until Thursday. Tried to start it again, nothing, so I left.
Under any other circumstance I would've taken it home and tried to figure it out myself and fix it. But, it's for sale and I'm trying to find a place to live because my wife wants me out of the house so I don't have time to screw around with it.

Just another verse to the country song I'm currently writing....

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
I hope it goes well.

·
Premium Member
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They said the cam position sensor housing was broke and the crank position sensor was bad. Replaced both sensors and it starts now. But, the check engine light is still on.... Bill is $530 so far....

I don't know whether to go pick it up or tell them to press on.... I certainly don't have time to screw with it right now.

·
Premium Member
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I went to pick it up to take it to another dealer 'cause they said they can get to it tomorrow. Dealership its at said they can't do anything until next week. Turns out they replaced the Oil Pump Drive Assy (OPDA) and the Cam Shaft sensor. Not the Crank Sensor.
It started, but if you give it any gas it runs rough then dies. Try to let out the clutch and drive, it "bucks" then dies. Can't drive it. I left it there. They said they can't get to it until next week.
I looked in my FSM and the fuel timing is dependent on the OPDA and Cam Sensor position. I think they need to align the damn thing. If that's all it is, their not getting any more money.
Guess I wait until next week. Hope its safe sitting on their lot down in Spokane Valley...... My poor baby :(

·
1,482 Posts
Thanks for the news. I hate that feeling of everywhere I look seems equally jacked up. For me it was my PCM and I was preparing to walk away from a perfectly good vehicle. Then it came down to nothing but the next news like where you find yourself. I told God there’s no way I’m praying for my Jeep, you know I’ll walk away from it if you want. Well, I still have it.

·
Sarcastic Moderator
13,997 Posts
Opda was in 04. The issue is on 05 and 06 the manufacturer did not harden the steel properly leading to premature wear and failure.

·
Registered
212 Posts
05 and 06 are a different design than the older ones. Tone wheel has more notches in it and the top bushing is sealed from the engine oil. So, when the grease dries out, it seizes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I went to pick it up to take it to another dealer 'cause they said they can get to it tomorrow. Dealership its at said they can't do anything until next week. Turns out they replaced the Oil Pump Drive Assy (OPDA) and the Cam Shaft sensor. Not the Crank Sensor.
It started, but if you give it any gas it runs rough then dies. Try to let out the clutch and drive, it "bucks" then dies. Can't drive it. I left it there. They said they can't get to it until next week.
I looked in my FSM and the fuel timing is dependent on the OPDA and Cam Sensor position. I think they need to align the damn thing. If that's all it is, their not getting any more money.
Guess I wait until next week. Hope its safe sitting on their lot down in Spokane Valley...... My poor baby :(

Did they get it fixed yet?

·
Premium Member
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, the new owner got it running. He said the dealer replaced the crank sensor, OPDA and cam sensor. When he removed the OPDA he said the dealer had put in some Chinese knock-off brand that didn't even have the alignment hole in it. I told him I bet the dealer replaced the OPDA/cam sensor and when that didn't get it running they moved on to the crank sensor and that got it running but then the OPDA was so screwed up it ran so rich you couldn't give it gas.
The new owner put the original OPDA in that the dealer had removed (and fortunately gave me back) aligned correctly and it runs great now.....
If I still had the Jeep and the invoice I'd be down there tomorrow! I paid them for an OPDA that didn't even need to be replaced!
Another thing... when I suggested to the service advisor that the OPDA probably needs to be aligned, he said, "my technicians know what they're doing, they don't like being told what to do"....... hmmm, I don't think so.
Incompetent Idiots!
And, where the hell did they get that OPDA....

·
Administrator
10,770 Posts
.....Incompetent Idiots!
Unfortunately those people are everywhere.

I happened on a YouTube video of an HVAC guy on a service call for a report of no cooling. This was a house that was flipped - buy low, throw a few bucks in it and sell. The air handler was in the crawl space under the floor. What the tech found was absolutely disgusting, the vent for the furnace was piped to the chimney but the house had a new roof and ..... they covered up the chimney. The new homeowners are lucky they didn't die from carbon monoxide. The vent duct had to be double wall but this one was single wall.

No cooling - yup, he found a huge hole on either the liquid or vapor side in the evaporator plumbing. The installation was so bad the owners had the entire HVAC system torn out and replaced. They were going to go after the seller and/or the previous HVAC business (maybe it was the flipper's relative.)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts