Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
05 TJ RUBI, 6 spd

well the Multifunction switch plug melted (only the outer plug, not the wires) the fog light switch burnt out and over heated. well i finally fixed it since i had everything apart to install a new Ignition Switch Pin Acctuator. piece of cake right... wrong.

well the wires in sterted into the new plug assembly perfectly, one by one i put them in the new plug and also installed a new Multifunction Switch. i also double checked all the wires to make sure the colors matched this:

and it worked out perfect, everything operates the way that it should, how ever the only thing im having a problem with is... the second i put the cable on the positive post, my head/tail/parking lights come on. yes even with the switch turned off LOL.

well anyone else run into this issue at all??

Reactions: MikeDean

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
After seeing no replies after a few days I figured I'd throw my .02 worth out there and at least get your question back to the forefront. How about the possibility that a strand or two of wire is "cross-connecting" to another terminal that's controling those lights?

·
Administrator
11,557 Posts
That's going to be a tough problem to solve. The only thing I can think of is a missing or bad ground - that can cause some really weird symptoms.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Did you read the pin-out correctly on the plug?
Are you sure you got the correct color in each pin?

I'd go back and double check the pin-out and colors.

My FSM has been wrong on things. You didn't happen to write it down before cutting the old connector off? Do you still have the old connector to compare it too?

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After seeing no replies after a few days I figured I'd throw my .02 worth out there and at least get your question back to the forefront. How about the possibility that a strand or two of wire is "cross-connecting" to another terminal that's controling those lights?

i thought of that too, pulled them out of the plug, checked for cracks "touching" etc and still empty handed, great thought tho. someones .02 will fix this, keep em comin

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you read the pin-out correctly on the plug?
Are you sure you got the correct color in each pin?

I'd go back and double check the pin-out and colors.

My FSM has been wrong on things. You didn't happen to write it down before cutting the old connector off? Do you still have the old connector to compare it too?

yes, wrote it down as well as took detailed photos, and compared to another 05 TJ Rubi and all came out the same

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Any updates? I'm curious. Without hands on t-shooting it's hard to help with a problem like this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just a brief 8 years later with a follow-up. 😏
On a '05 Wrangler Unlimited, 6 spd. 4.0L. Using the pin-out provided by the OP, I installed a new Crown brand harness connector, replacement number 5183442AA.
Everything works correctly on the first try, with no out of spec responses.
I'm not sure what year model the pin-out sheet included with the Crown kit is for, but it wasn't for a '05 Wrangler Unlimited with factory fog lights... and I hope the OP got his Rubi sorted 7 years ago.

·
Registered
2 Posts
05 TJ RUBI, 6 spd

well the Multifunction switch plug melted (only the outer plug, not the wires) the fog light switch burnt out and over heated. well i finally fixed it since i had everything apart to install a new Ignition Switch Pin Acctuator. piece of cake right... wrong.

well the wires in sterted into the new plug assembly perfectly, one by one i put them in the new plug and also installed a new Multifunction Switch. i also double checked all the wires to make sure the colors matched this:

and it worked out perfect, everything operates the way that it should, how ever the only thing im having a problem with is... the second i put the cable on the positive post, my head/tail/parking lights come on. yes even with the switch turned off LOL.

well anyone else run into this issue at all??
I have similar issues on 2004 Wrangler Rubicon. Wipers go on when I hit left turn signal. Ditto when I turn on light switch. Headlamps and one fog lamp are out but dash shows high beams are on as long as lights are on.

I replaced multifunction switch and no change.

Any suggestions on where to look next?

Thanks
MD

·
Administrator
11,557 Posts
Welcome to ROF Mike. I would suspect a missing/bad ground wire somewhere as a possibility. Something easy to try is to pull the negative lead on the battery to reset the PCM since it controls the dash display (as I recall.)

Reactions: Norminator
1 - 12 of 12 Posts