Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How are your MT/Rs wearing? I took my 285/75s in for a balance and rotation after just 2500 miles. Discount rep said mild cupping was normal for these tires, and based on the current condition of my tires estimated I would only get 10,000 miles!! Because of the mild cupping, he recommended we rotate diagonally to run the tires the opposite direction for awhile.

I took some measurements, and I'd guess I'll get 20,000 if I'm lucky. These tires have been on very sharp, rocky, and difficult trails and are chunking and ripping pretty good. I also find it very difficult to get a smooth ride above 65- they seem to always have just a bit of shake at that speed, even with a perfect balance.

Anybody have over 15,000 on your tires? How are your lugs holding up?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I was hoping my stock MT/Rs would wear out fast so I could justify new, bigger tires. So far no luck, close to 10000 miles and they look just like the spare. :cry: I guess I just need to wheel them a little harder.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have a friend with 35s who has nearly 50,000 kms on them and they still have tons of tread. Those tires get wheeled hard and, on pavement, my buddy drives like he forgets he isn't driving his old Camaro anymore. I am not getting as good of wear as he is but I drove a long distance with my wheels toed in way too much. I have rotated them so hopefully they will wear evenly now.

Maybe you just got a bad batch. :(

G

·
0 Posts
12.500 miles and they are 50% wasted. I use them for highway only--no trails. My TSL's do the abussive stuff.

·
Registered
467 Posts
my MTRs are thrashed after 9000 miles. cupping, chunking, unable to balance. but damn do these things grip on the trail!

would i be going from bad to worse to put on SSR's? :D

·
Registered
478 Posts
If I get 20,000 miles outta my 35" BFG mud's I'll laugh all the way to the tire store to buy 4 more :wink:

G

·
0 Posts
Hmmm, 7,700 on mine, and they are like Stevo's, hardly any wear and I do wheel them a lot. Oh well

Ron

·
Registered
147 Posts
4,500 miles and chunkin pretty good I too get teh vibes right at 62-68mph I hopeI can get em to last till end of Nov. then it's teh 35's YUP YESSIRE 35's :)

Other than the chunkin I like em alot just gunna depend on the life of the tire if I get em again. I do wheel it like no tomorrow and I'm definatley not easy on em.

Mo

G

·
0 Posts
I have 9000 miles on the Rubi at this point with stock tires. They were rotated at 6000 per the owner's manual except that I rotated the spare in on the left rear. At this point, 3 tires have 9000 miles (15/32"), 1 has 6000 (17/32"), and 1 has 3000 (17/32"). These tread depths were measured at several points across the tire and around it circumference.

Does anyone know the original tread depth??

Dan

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have about 16,000 on my rubi with the original tires still, I would guess Im about half way through them. I do a lot of wheeling but down here its mostly mud so Im not chuncking to bad however I do have one nice chunch missing fromt the drivers side front tire from my trip to Uwharrie. I'm guessing I'll get about 30,000 out of mine

·
Registered
454 Posts
That sounds about right for MTRs. IMO, that is still quite a bit of wear for an offroad tire. You will probably have enough tread left to sell them to someone who just wants them for the looks and will never take them offroad.

In a strange way, we are kind of lucky here in Canada, almost half of the year we are driving in snow which prolongs the life of tires greatly. If I put 20,000kms on in a year, 7000+ of those will be during the winter.

·
Registered
843 Posts
MT/R's

I have 5000 miles on mine and they look like new. No chunking, cupping or wear, they do however shake between 65 and 75 and then smooth out again above that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
after 10,000km and taking off the stock MT/Rs, there is less than 2mm of tread depth difference compared to the brand new spare and the 4 i was driving on...so tread wear for me was very minimal...

G

·
0 Posts

15,000 miles with no problems - minimal wear , no cupping or other
issues - 32# of air - rotation front to rear (same side) - spare has
been used .

·
Registered
586 Posts
Just crossed 10K miles and have about 70% tread left, I hope they wear out by November so i can get the 285's on there.

Roger

·
Registered
63 Posts
mtr wear

23,000 still looks like I have half the tread left. Most of the milage is going to the trails in Colorado and Utah have made over 40 traail runs.

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
About to run over 20K and think I'll get 35K (total) out of em. Will probably run 32's (same tire) next go round then it's gona be MT Baja Claws, OH YEAH!!!

No problems out of mine, I rotate them every 3K.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts