Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. I know a person doesn’t buy a Jeep if he’s looking to get good gas mileage. I don’t have 1000 miles on her yet and checked it twice. I have the auto trans and with it in OD, in town driving, it came in at 12.2mpg. So, I was thinking maybe with the OD off around town it would improve. Boy was I wrong...11.7 this time. Well I’m going to try the next grade fuel and see if that helps. If not you cares... it a Jeep and I’m loving every minute of it!!

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
I think the book says to use 87 octane. I am not sure a higher grade will help. Turning OD off helps around town and hilly areas... leaving it on is the way to go for long drives at highway speed with little shifting. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it too much because that sounds normal... at least for my jeep.

Justin

PS I am moving this topic to general tech :roll:

·
Registered
454 Posts
The manual actually says that mileage could decrease with a higher grade of fuel. I don't really know how that can be but when it requires the cheapest grade of gas, I don't ask too many questions.

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Being a kid of the CJ world, all of this computer **** is really out of my realm. But I think it has to do with programming. I could be wrong so someone please correct me. Not only that, the different octanes only indicated the amount of anti knock additives correct? Therefore you are supposed to use the lowest grade with which you get no knocks correct? Some of those performance cars are tuned for the higher octanes... therefore if they used the lower octanes then the engines would knock. But our engines are not high performance therefore are not tuned for the higher octane gas. I could be blowing a bunch of smoke here but I swear I read it once somewhere. 8)

Justin

·
Registered
147 Posts
YUP YUP use the cheap gas.. Talked to the dealer today and they were saying not to use the higher octane so I said kewl. BTW I had to set up appointment to get an alignment, LOL they said with only 500 miles ya shouldn't need one. :roll:

·
Registered
420 Posts
I just purchased a K&N filter... before so i was getting about 250 miles to the tank. Just put on 295 miles after the install, before I pulled into the refueling station. I couldnt believe my eyes, I guess it really does work. I also noticed a little better response while shifting but no real power gains... Tough it cost $50 but if it save me 1 1/2 gallons a fill then it will pay for itself in like 25 fills... good investment all the way around

·
Registered
147 Posts
:poke:

Ya well with 8000 miles I shouldn't need an axle seal replaced but hey... **** happens.

:poke:

Justin, I think ya lost me on that :wink:

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
You mentioned needing an alignment at 500 miles... they said you shouldn't... and I agree. I was just stating that along with that I shouldn't have to have an axle seal replaced. :)

Hope that clears it up :)

Justin

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
rubicon789 said:
I just purchased a K&N filter... before so i was getting about 250 miles to the tank. Just put on 295 miles after the install, before I pulled into the refueling station. I couldnt believe my eyes, I guess it really does work. I also noticed a little better response while shifting but no real power gains... Tough it cost $50 but if it save me 1 1/2 gallons a fill then it will pay for itself in like 25 fills... good investment all the way around
what is the model # K N filter you pruchased..
is it just a filter element or ..
thanks
mac

·
Registered
333 Posts
Mac I think its just the element.. he said he only spent 50 dollars not for sure tho.. Would like a part number also :)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here you go just went and checked my box.

K&N Part # 33-2114

Ron

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
On that K&N filter, do I just pull out the stock air cleaner and drop in the
K&N filter. No removal or anything to the stock air intake.

·
Registered
843 Posts
after

ten tank fulls I'm now getting an average of 17.3MPG up from the start of 14.6. I've found that the mid and high grade fuels have little or no impact.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
re

In my old 4 banger YJ, I had to put the mid grade gas, other wise the engine would knock. With my Rubi I put the mid grade as well, I haven't tried the low octane, and I don't plan on using the higher either. I guess I'm at the happy meadium :D and it works for me. I get bad gas milage as well, but since I crossed the 1,000 mile mark, it has started to improve. I guess bigger engine + bigger meats = more gas. There are many mods out there, but to really cut the visits to the gas station for people with daily Jeep drivers is a mod called "car pool". best mod yet :)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: after

PJ said:
ten tank fulls I'm now getting an average of 17.3MPG up from the start of 14.6. I've found that the mid and high grade fuels have little or no impact.
What the heck!!! I'd really love to know how you're getting 17.3mpg out of the Rubi. I'm 20 tanks into mine and I'm still averaging about 14.5mpg. If you can give me some pointers I'd be much obliged.

BTW, I have the 5 speed and (still) stock 31s. For a tank full after I put in a K&N replacement filter I ran the tires up to 32psi, shifted at recommended intervals, never exceeded 65mph and got 15.5mpg. I probably could have run that little experiment longer but it was driving me crazy.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'm calculating consumption of 16.25 mi/gal on mine. I hope it gets better with further break in. I have just over 5000 kms (3100 mi).

·
Registered
843 Posts
It sounds like

we have the same machines and both used the K&N drop ins, about the only difference I see is that when I followed the little arrow I got right about 15.5 but the Rubi always felt like I was lugging it so I ignored the arrow and drive by feel and this is where I am, I seldom shift into 5th around town and would say my average shift point is around 2700-3000 rpms. I'll pay more attention to my shifting with my eyes and post a little more but I've convinced the indicated shoft points are way too low.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I followed my dad from our house to the camp ground, about 150 miles. He was towing a trailer that was really loaded down so I followed him just to be there if anything happened. We drove about 55-60mph the whole way. I gassed up right before hopping on the freeway and gassed up right after......................

19.8 mpg and there was actually quite a few uphill sections.

I will probably never see that kind of mileage again.

Sometimes I will go a whole week never driving on the highway, just stop and go city traffic from one light to the next, a block or two at a time. I usually get about 12mpg when I do this.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts