Rubicon Owners Forum banner

61 - 80 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
how do you keep your mike from falling off the little metal clip? When I bounce down the trail, mine likes to flyoff the clip.... i've taken to wrapping the cord around the mount (hung from my center roll bar with hose clamps), so that when it falls off the clip, it's only got about 3" of cord to swing on and won't brain me..... but that makes it fun to talk on, trying to pull that 3" of cord out to 12" to reach my mouth.

·
Registered
21 Posts
rjh said:
how do you keep your mike from falling off the little metal clip? When I bounce down the trail, mine likes to flyoff the clip.... i've taken to wrapping the cord around the mount (hung from my center roll bar with hose clamps), so that when it falls off the clip, it's only got about 3" of cord to swing on and won't brain me..... but that makes it fun to talk on, trying to pull that 3" of cord out to 12" to reach my mouth.
I actually bent the inside of the metal clip mic holder. I haven't had it fall on me since! Just took a pair of needle nose pliers and a flat head screwdriver to it. works perfectly! :D

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
My mic falls off the clip whenever I get offroad, but it's not a problem 'cause i never actually use it while driving anyway. Mic just slides around on the passenger side Catch-All.

Now, above in this thread I showed what I thought was a nice install of the CB using velcro, against the lower dash right in front of the console. Worked great until the weather got hot, and the velcro adhesive is loosening. So...it wasn't a good idea.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Uniden 510XL CB and Yaesu 1500M 2 meter Ham Radio -
Wilson SuperFlex CB and Larsen Ham antennas mounted at the spare tire on a dual Rocky Road mount -

Mounted and connectorized to allow for easy removal between trail rides for theft prevention.

·
Registered
6 Posts
coop5508 said:
I needed to find a place to mount the Cobra HighGear external speaker. After much deliberation, I think I found a great spot:

I removed the coin tray kind of slipped the speaker right in, with just a small amount of pushing. It's a snug fit and doesn't require any other fasteners. The speaker wire is then routed out of the front of the console and behind the dash.

Now, I'm waiting on my Wilson 3' Flex antenna to get here so I can mount it using the kit Stu Olson featured on the RightChannelRadio write up (swr meter, firestick fire flex coax, fire ring stud mount, and stainless steel antenna hood mount).

Guy
How do you like the HighGear speaker? Can you hear with no top and no doors?

·
Registered
657 Posts
GrayJ said:
coop5508 said:
I needed to find a place to mount the Cobra HighGear external speaker. After much deliberation, I think I found a great spot:

I removed the coin tray kind of slipped the speaker right in, with just a small amount of pushing. It's a snug fit and doesn't require any other fasteners. The speaker wire is then routed out of the front of the console and behind the dash.

Now, I'm waiting on my Wilson 3' Flex antenna to get here so I can mount it using the kit Stu Olson featured on the RightChannelRadio write up (swr meter, firestick fire flex coax, fire ring stud mount, and stainless steel antenna hood mount).

Guy
How do you like the HighGear speaker? Can you hear with no top and no doors?
I like where it's at and I can hear it pretty well with no top and no doors. I'm not running a stock exhaust (glasspack with the tailpipe exiting right behind the pass side door) so it can be a tiny bit tough to hear on the highway going 75mph. But on the trail, it is loud and clear.

Guy

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
I have mine mounted on a Miller Products (MP) mount i got for free from my neighbor. Works great for now. Will have to relocate when I invest in a cage.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Do you guys use your CB's on the road with truckers or do you just mainly use them with fellow jeepers? Just curious...

·
Registered
2004 TJ Rubicon
701 Posts
Well since I only go wheeling with my buddies every few months or so, I mainly just leave it on "PA" so I can scare pedestrians as they try to cross the street in front of me :lildevil:

However, when I travel on the interstate I listen to the truckers so I can hear about potential accidents, traffic jams, detours, etc., or just to stay awake.

·
Registered
181 Posts
on the 10meter radios, can you transmit on the cb freq's or do you have to have the radio modified to do it. id like to pick up a 10m but i don't need 3 radios in the jeep.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Here is my new install, a Cobra 200GTL DX.

and my K-40 Trucker antenna.

·
Registered
267 Posts
dotcom said:
on the 10meter radios, can you transmit on the cb freq's or do you have to have the radio modified to do it. id like to pick up a 10m but i don't need 3 radios in the jeep.
You can mod the 10 meters to pick up and x-mit cb channels. check out CBTricks.com

·
Registered
85 Posts
Seeing the Galaxy brings back memories. About 15 years ago, I had a nice Galaxy tuned and peaked and I swear on clean channels I could talk to someone standing on the far side of the moon!

I really like the overhead console ideas, but my question is this: I really like the open air feel of no top, does the overhead center console take away from that quite a bit? Seems like it would.

·
Premium Member
3,068 Posts
Looks familiar, nice.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
mounts al look great but now u have all given me too many choices!!! ahha but i am going to say i hate when the interior is dusty as hell, sooo i am offering you all to drive to Dracut, ma and i will personally detail you vehicles hahaha (sorry to steal thread a little)

·
Registered
126 Posts
inline6 said:
Looks familiar, nice.
Yeah I just changed mine out last week, but I had a smaller wal mart brand in the same location scene I got the jeep in 05.

Here is how it used to look you can also see where I mounted my external speaker on the dash next to the locker switch.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Having the CB on the Rockhard cage let's me see what |I'm doing.

·
Registered
358 Posts
That looks like mine......

61 - 80 of 105 Posts