Rubicon Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 105 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,923 Posts
The above pic is also on a Rockhard4x4 sport cage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
380 Posts
Best place I've found in 3 TJ's

I owned two TJ's before this and never found this very simple, very unobtrusive place to mount the CB until now:

4 zip ties hold it on and all the wires hide under the roll bar padding. I never know it's there when I don't need it. When I do need it, the mic hangs on the red wire you see running between the roll bar and the tie down on the windshield frame putting it in the best place to talk and drive. I keep the mic in the glove box and the antenna under the seats. Also, this is my antenna mount, it is the best one I ever found for a Wrangler. It's sold on eBay by arizrockyroad. I can't recommend it enough.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,923 Posts
Re: Best place I've found in 3 TJ's

MrJeep said:
I owned two TJ's before this and never found this very simple, very unobtrusive place to mount the CB until now:
4 zip ties hold it on and all the wires hide under the roll bar padding. I never know it's there when I don't need it. When I do need it, the mic hangs on the red wire you see running between the roll bar and the tie down on the windshield frame putting it in the best place to talk and drive.
I'm intrigued by the red wire... looks like a very nifty idea.

It's a nuisance to always be reaching to grab the mic off the mic clip to talk, then hang it back up when done, when talking frequently. I tried strapping it to the front cross member of the Rockhard sport cage and let it dangle, but then it swings back and forth and gets totally annoying because it hits stuff. I did go ne step in teh right direction by replacing the HUGE, way too big OEM Cobra mic with a compact mic from a local shop. AT lease it's easier to hang in the clip now, but if I could just let it dangle and be within close reach, things would be dandy.

nope, those retractable thingers like trucker's stores sell won't work for me either, because they dangle too much, resulting in a "swinging mic". meaning the mic hangs down too low from the the clip that the retractor has on it.... usually you have a clip, the retractor, a loop or ring, then another clip, so by the time all is said and done, the mic hangs down about 3-4 inches from the surface that the retractor is clipped to, which would be fine for mall wheeling, but that's not how we use our rigs.

the red wire trick as given me a few ideas... :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
Re: Best place I've found in 3 TJ's

MrJeep said:
I owned two TJ's before this and never found this very simple, very unobtrusive place to mount the CB until now:
That's where mine is too. But I use a mic 'C' clip and just hang it from the cb box when not in use.

I also have a bungee cord strung between it and the windshiled tie down loop just like your red wire, but find that when on the trails w/ mic hanging it still gets very annoying swinging around and hitting things. I usually end up tossing it back behind the seat to keep it restrained.

Still looking for a good way to suspend it for ease of access/use but not have it swing like a trapeeze artist and smack people and things in the process.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
380 Posts
It does swing on the wire if you have too much hanging off the wire, but the nice part about the setup is you can push the whole mic and cord all the way back when you don't want to deal with it. I'll try to take a pic with the mic on it today.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
Here's mine as promised earlier...





The unit is velcro strapped to the roll bar. The mic uses a "c" hook hanger (like some truckers) and is just hooked into the mounting plate when not in use. When on the trails I usually string it up onto the bungee strap strung between the cb unit and the windsheild tie down footman loop where it hangs down in front of the rearview mirror. However, that usually lasts until the 5th bump and then I unstring it and toss it behind my seat because it flies around all over the place and hits things and people. Need to find a better way.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,946 Posts
Geeps said:
This one's on my bench waiting to be reinstalled once it gets warmer out:



Who makes that console?
You?
Is that insulation on the ceiling bulging down?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,434 Posts
arjeeper said:
Damn! Nice work!

Is that even a little LED map light I spy on a swivel?


You guessed it. Thats exactly what that is, its a bright little sucker too :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
563 Posts
Re: Best place I've found in 3 TJ's

desertfox1 said:
MrJeep said:
nope, those retractable thingers like trucker's stores sell won't work for me either, because they dangle too much, resulting in a "swinging mic". meaning the mic hangs down too low from the the clip that the retractor has on it.... usually you have a clip, the retractor, a loop or ring, then another clip, so by the time all is said and done, the mic hangs down about 3-4 inches from the surface that the retractor is clipped to, which would be fine for mall wheeling, but that's not how we use our rigs.

the red wire trick as given me a few ideas... :D
How about one of these heavy duty key holders. Probably better than the trucker's deal. Attach the mic to it. Mounted to the front ... say on the footman loop. That way the cb cord is stretched forward and not swinging..... It should be heavy enough to return the mic and keep it from swinging at rest.
You would have to attach the mic to the retractor in a fashion that the mic sits flush with the retractor.... and won't hang down like you describe. I'm thinking a couple little screws in place of the usual round mic attachment and maybe an epoxied attachment.
http://www.gearkeeper.com/Tools/keyretractor-hig.html

nylon coated steel cable, stainless steel spring, and high force(15-28 keys) to pull the mic up and out of the way. And it has a quick disconnect for storage of the mic/cord.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,078 Posts
Here is mine:



Ran a piece of strap metal along the lower edge of the dash. Drilled the holes for the CB mounts and screwed it together. Cost was just a couple of bucks for the metal and a new sharpie 8) Even with my gortex hunting boots on I do not notice the CB in there. I hang the mic on the t-case leaver.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Re: Best place I've found in 3 TJ's

MrJeep said:
, this is my antenna mount, it is the best one I ever found for a Wrangler. It's sold on eBay by arizrockyroad. I can't recommend it enough.
i just bought this mount, im glad to hear that it is well liked. ill keep posted on how the install goes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
arjeeper said:
Here are some pics of my Galaxy DX93T 10 Meter mounted overhead in my 06 Rubicon Unlimited using a Arizona Rocky Road overhead mount. The install was easy and the mount is very sturdy... even for a large radio such as this.









WOW!!! a truckers dream rig in a Jeep! 10-4 goodbuddy, cya on the flipflop flapjack. Sorry it's what I do for a living. :D
 
21 - 40 of 105 Posts
Top