Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.moserengineering.com

I sent them mine and they made a great replacement, no taper in shaft, spline cut into full width. I had them put new sealed bearings and wheel studs.

If your interested give them a call and give them my invoice # 315461, they'll build to the proper specs for the RUBI and ship them in 2 days after you order. they went right in no trouble ...

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ned said:
Nice shaft twist (I assume this is the stocker?)

This will be on my list of upgrades in the future.
yep, and that is the short side, here's the real issue ... long side (passenger side)

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
awsome pics.....great info!!!!!
thats just part of having the "best jeep ever" LOL
do you have the link for the .456 gears?

thanks
mac

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry, no link, got lucky and found a connection at dana, he had a thicker gear that went right on. he did it, parts/labor $600. one time deal. :wink:

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Ok, so call me stupid but spec wise what are we looking at? I don't even know where to begin. How much torque max does a Rubi with 4.88's put out? How much torque can the stock axles take?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
there are some huge numbers here ... don't have all the facts, I know a 30 spline will take 6200 ft.# but I know our rigs can produce more than that. trying to remember what jesse's rock buggy made, on monster garage, something like 15k? the 4:1 and big gears make some huge numbers ...

moser says their shafts are at least 30% stronger than stock.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Does that 30% stronger only pertain to the stock Rubi? Hmm, that sounded stupid, but what I mean is if you upgrade to 4.88's and 35's don't you need somethign at least 50% stronger? Where is your weak link in the drivetrain after such a mod?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm certainly no drive line expert .. but can share what I've been told. the shafts we have are nothing different from previous d44 rears. I supose once the shafts are upgraded and the locker holds, your drive shaft would be the next fuse. (that why we go with a 1 ton cv type) just hope the chain in the t case isn't next ...

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Lothos said:
Ok, so call me stupid but spec wise what are we looking at? I don't even know where to begin. How much torque max does a Rubi with 4.88's put out? How much torque can the stock axles take?
For an automatic in 1st gear (locked up - no converter slip) with 4.88 gears and 4LO it's:

235 ft-lbs torque X 2.84 1st gear X 4.0 T/C X 4.88 gears = 13, 054 ft-lbs. Of course that does not count any frictional losses. :roll:

Remember peak torque is at 3200 rpm for the 4.0L. Now you know why they call me a wimp with the loud pedal when I'm wheelin'

Jerry

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Where do you get/find the 235ft/lbs of torque? What worries me is this wonderful page:

Should you be concerned about breaking an axle?
To achieve maximum performance you should use the smallest axle available that will safely handle the torque your car produces.

The torque rating of Moser Engineering Custom Alloy Axles are as follows:

30 Spline - 6,200 ft. lbs. (per axle)
31 spline - 7,000 ft. lbs. (per axle)
33 spline - 8,200 ft. lbs. (per axle)
35 spline - 9,600 ft. lbs. (per axle)
40 spline - 12,000 ft. lbs. (per axle)

Which axle size is right for me?
The way to pick your axles is so one axle will handle all of the maximum torque your car can produce. That way it is practically impossible to break an axle because you have at least a 200% safety factor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts