Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got off my dead butt this weekend and accomplished a few more things on Air Rubi:

Kilby gas tank skid. Take it from me, do not attempt to install this skid on a slope with a gas tank that's 1/4 full. It really makes a straightforward job a lot tougher.

The York compressor is installed. I decided to put a K&N filter (with prefilter) on the Jeep to get rid of the stock air box and gain some more room on the right inner fender. That will give me a nice location for my 7 circuit Painless circuit breaker box and whatever else I decide to cram under the hood:

On the left between the TCM and the ARB compressor is the coalescing filter with oil return and shutoff valve. Coming out of the filter at the top past the elbow is the check valve and 3/8 DOT swivel fitting that will feed the manifold. The ARB's days are numbered. The configuration of the install was determined by the location of my current air manifolds and the length of the premade high temp hose.

I'm not quite done with the York install. If you look carefully at the second photo, the belt is running about .150 inch away from the flange on the clutch. It seems to be happy there, (although it's squealing at higher rpm's), so I don't know if I'll try to mess around with it besides taking up some more tension. Does anyone have the correct way to measure tension on one of these belts now that I no longer have an automatic tensioner?

The clutch works, and the compressor delivers air. I have to hook up the real electrics for it and remove the ARB compressor and harness. Those are weeknight tasks.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
On my york I had a failure on the throughbolt for one of the idler pulleys. The reason for the failure was the Kilby bracket was a hair too wide and didn't allow the idler to tighten down flat against the engine block. Might want to verify yours.

For tension you should have less than 1/4" flex at any midpoint between pulleys.

Is the line on the side of your york the oil return?

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lothos said:
On my york I had a failure on the throughbolt for one of the idler pulleys. The reason for the failure was the Kilby bracket was a hair too wide and didn't allow the idler to tighten down flat against the engine block. Might want to verify yours.

For tension you should have less than 1/4" flex at any midpoint between pulleys.

Is the line on the side of your york the oil return?
Lothos:

Thanks for the info. I will check the idler pulleys. I think I'm OK, but I'll look again. And I think I have more than 1/4 inch of flex, so I'll adjust the tension a little more.

The grey line is the oil return. I could have put it on the other side of the compressor, but this way it's easier to get at.

petesjeeprubi said:
Man your engine is so clean!!!
Only the top half Pete. The underside is pretty raunchy. Time to pressure wash.

Jerry

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
looks great Jerry...
:wink:

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
I had an issue with my filte on the BOA today. Seems the O ring between the plexi housing and the top was a tad stretched. While attempting to change a tire I heard a hissing from the engine and no air pressure. Lifted the hood to find oil spraying everywhere from the O ring.
Pulled it out, reseated it carefully (it had been stretched so had to poke it up to seal.
Worked great for the next 2 times we needed it on the trail. But at the end of the day when we were airing up, it popped out again. Had to pull it off and just bypass it.
Need to go find a new O ring and get it sealed up correctly.

Installs look great. You did a good job.

Brian

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Wow,
I feel lazy lately. Havent done anything to mine in a while.

That does look great. Once you eliminate the ARB, I am real curious to hear how quiet the air side of your AiRock becomes. The york should make light work of that.

PsssssT
It is getting closer and closer to Aug 30th

·
Registered
454 Posts
It will be interesting to see if your new York will inflate the air bags faster. Of course, you probably have a tank so that won't really matter. You will just be able to make 'er dance for a longer period of time.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Nice YORK Jerry... :wink: Set up looks good. One question though is the pully on all the way. I am sure you checked it but just a thought.

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LILRDJP said:
Nice YORK Jerry... :wink: Set up looks good. One question though is the pully on all the way. I am sure you checked it but just a thought.
For those of you who are not aware, I bought the compressor and clutch from Sean at a very reasonable price. Sean sent me the clutch and compressor as two separate pieces so I could clean everything up before I put it together.

Sean, I thought the clutch seated properly when I torqued it down, but I have to check it. I got done with the install on Sunday, and have been working late the past few days so I haven't had a chance to dive under the hood again. I will definitely recheck it. It may be an issue with that particular model York and the Kilby bracket, or I could have screwed something up. Wouldn't be the first time. :D

Jerry

·
Registered
176 Posts
When I did my OBA I had the same problem.. the pulley on my clutch was offset 3/8". This caused the serpentine9I think 8 groove right?) to be at least one.. if not two grooves off the clutch. I wan't comfortable with it and was fortunate to find a local auto A/C shop willing ot swap me the clutch for one with no offset. Sounds like you might have the wrong clutch. FOr future reference if anyone else wants to buy a serpentine clutch for their York, and doesn't buy direct from Kilby, the offset is 0" :wink:

I also had the same O-Ring problem, twice. First time with a cheapo 3/8" Air Filter I bought from Lowes, this second time was with a Campbell Hausfeld<sp> GP Filter... a heavy duty jobby. I replaced the top O-ring only to find that the one of the bottom(drain ****) gave out too. I've replaced with a new bowl, hopefully that holds out, o/w I'll reroute my air lines and mount the filters inside the tub and give the air even more time to cool down.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts