Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Jeep TJ Rubicon
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing 3" spring spacers front and rear, Air Lift bags in the rear and Rancho 9000XL shocks on my 05 TJ Rubicon.

Will I need to extend my front and back sway bar disconnects or will the new angle be OK?

Will 3" be enough to throw off my tracking so that I need new bars?

How will it effect my steering - new bars?

·
Administrator
10,765 Posts
I bought my LJ with a 4" suspension lift and there were after market control arms and a transfer case skid plate drop installed, you might need something similar.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I'm doing 3" spring spacers front and rear, Air Lift bags in the rear and Rancho 9000XL shocks on my 05 TJ Rubicon.

Will I need to extend my front and back sway bar disconnects or will the new angle be OK?

Will 3" be enough to throw off my tracking so that I need new bars?

How will it effect my steering - new bars?

That's a set up that's a bit out of the norm, What are you using the vehicle for?
By spacers I assume spring spacers...

Your tracking wont be effected by the " sway bar disconnects", by which I think you mean
links. If you already have a suspension lift with the associated parts (disconnects) on the vehicle the, spacers and airbags will cause other problems besides the links since you may be adding to an existing lift.

That said, the links need to be longer to keep them parallel to the road. BUT other items WILL need attention,
with 3" of lift (spring or spacers) you WILL also need a raised track bar mount in the rear and a front track bar that's longer, you may need to adjust the pinion angle of the rear axle to deal with driveline vibrations. You may need longer front brake lines.

FWIW I would look at 3 inch springs over spacers in any application I could think of...

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Registered
2005 Jeep TJ Rubicon
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I bought the Jeep with 1.5" spring spacer lift in the front only, no lift in the rear, a 1" BL and 1" MM lift.
I'm removing the 1.5" front and replacing with 3" front and rear.
I load the Jeep up for back country camping and the rear rides very low so I'm installing the Air Lift bags inside the rear springs to level while it's loaded. I can deflate and inflate as needed when loaded or unloaded.
I've had Rancho shocks in the past and they always worked well for me.

So, I'll need to:
1. Lengthen my quick disconnects at the front sway bar and my factory disconnects at the rear sway bar to set my sway bars parallel to the ground
2. Raise the rear track bar mount. Will this need 3" to compensate for the lift? Is there an after market part that fits this change?
3.May need to adjust pinon angle. How is this adjustment done?
4. May need longer brake lines.
5. May need to modify the transfer skid plate. Is this due to front and/or rear driveshaft hitting the skid due to the increased angles?

I'm open to suggestions and more comments.

Thank You for the help, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Have you looked at 3 inch lift kits? By the time you horse around and get the bugs worked out you will probably end up spending more that what a mid range kit costs. Then you can add some air bags if you like.

·
Registered
771 Posts
..............So, I'll need to:
1. Lengthen my quick disconnects at the front sway bar and my factory disconnects at the rear sway bar to set my sway bars parallel to the ground
2. Raise the rear track bar mount. Will this need 3" to compensate for the lift? Is there an after market part that fits this change?
3.May need to adjust pinon angle. How is this adjustment done?
4. May need longer brake lines.
5. May need to modify the transfer skid plate. Is this due to front and/or rear driveshaft hitting the skid due to the increased angles?

I'm open to suggestions and more comments.

Thank You for the help, I appreciate it.
OK with better info I would suggest you ditch the idea of using spacers on springs that are 10 plus years old, particularly if you are planning heavily loaded trips. Likely those springs have lost a bit of carrying capacity at this point and new springs would be a good idea no matter the lift. A second reason would be the lack of up travel that the spacers will afford you... the ride could be pretty poor to unbelievably poor if you are on trails of any difficulty or even easy trails with lots of frame twisting side to side "bumps" loaded. The airbags may help but they don't overcome the limits of the available travel. The suspension just isn't going to work as well as it could and I think there will be plenty of bottoming going on.

Now if you said this was a mall crawler that you were going to drive to work… go for the spacers, but I think you will be disappointed with what you proposed and how you plan to use vehicle.

Plenty of 3 inch spring lifts available that go from basic to over complete. You could use a Basic Spring and brackets kit, with an adjustable front track bar, and longer front lower control arms, rear adjustable upper control arms. Example is JKS J spec http://jksmfg.com/n-12825-jspec-3in-tj.html May not be that kit you choose, but look at the parts included to address castor in the front and pinion angle vibes in the rear. The parts list is a minimum for a basic lift, and if you don't start there you are going to get there in the end for decent performance.
I don't run the kit, but I do run all the components included. Im looking at JKS for my JK lift so I just searched them. I have their track bars and brackets on one of my TJs , which gives me comfort in the quality. You can source the parts anywhere, but the list of what they include is complete to get you where I think you want to go.
As to your questions, a complete kit like this will have the answer to your list of 5 questions and a few you haven't asked.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts