Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Product: Tops, Sun Bonnet, Tonneau & Windscreen
Manuf: Mopar
Part NO: 82207739 (Black), 82207740 (Khaki)
Source: Dealer (Also available from Quadratec and others)
Price: $395.00

Descr: A three-part cover set including bikini top, tonneau, and windscreen.

Parts and Pieces:

The Sun Bonnet provides shade for the two front passengers. This bikini has a full header bar at the front like the one on the soft top, and the back edge is shaped to fit around the speaker pods. Besides the header, which is fastened to the windshield with two cam clips just like the soft top, there are five straps along the back edge. They are placed to keep the top tight from front to back and to fasten the corners securely around the speaker pods.

The Tonneau covers the entire rear portion of the passenger compartment. It is fastened by the rear window retainer bar over the tailgate opening and plastic strips that slide into the slots in the sides and corners of the body tub. A nylon strap sewn into the front edge fastens around the vertical sport bar on each side to keep this edge taut. As noted above, the tonneau cover zips to the windscreen.

The Windscreen eliminates the flow of air that hits the back of your head from behind and provides shelter from the sun. This model features a tinted window oin the center. It is suspended from the transverse sport bar with four straps at the top. It is fastened along the bottom with plastic strips sewn into the bottom edge that are inserted into an aluminum strip that must be attached to the step in the floor pan that is immediately rearward of the rear seat passengers' feet. A third attachment is accomplished by a full-width zipper that ties the windscreen to the tonneau.

Impressions:

Good: The fit was neat and tight and got better after a couple days in the sun. Each of the three components can be installed individually or with other parts, so the pieces can be used as you see fit. The zipper that attaches the wind screen to the tonneau is a real improvement over the earlier (2001) version. Flapping in the wind is eliminated and water that pools on the tonneau can't enter at the front edge. Monday, I put all three covers on and drove 150 miles on I-40 to a client site with a week's worth of clothing and equipment (no back seat). We have had afternoon thunder showers for three days. Found no water inside the Jeep anywhere.

Bad: Access to the storage under the tonneau cover is limited to (1) through the tailgate or (2) from behind the front passenger seat. As a last resort, the cover can be removed from the back, but this is tedious. I have an Add-A-Trunk in the back to provide locked storage space which eliminates the tailgate as an access point. It is noisier than the soft top, but really not a bother. I even listened to the radio part of the time.

Ugly: The instructions were terrible. Just drawings with no explanation. Not a show-stopper
because the installation is relatively intuitive.

NOTE: If your Rubicon is a Hard Top Only model, you must order Part No. 82208115, Mounting Kit ($115). This includes the upper front door frames and the rear window retainer bar (which come standard with the Soft Top and Dual Top models).

Edited on March 4, 2004, to change the picture host source to snapfish and to add comments:

After using this for a while the only objection I have found is that the windjammer window top edge obscures my rearward view. It helps to strap it tightly to the sport bar.

Dan

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
That looks really nice. Seems kind of pricey, but would you say that the quality was worth the price? Good review on the parts, lots of information. I enjoyed it.

Ron

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
geez....lots of money for a bikini top etc...hope the after market comes up with a cheaper version soon.
Pete

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
petesjeeprubi said:
geez....lots of money for a bikini top etc...hope the after market comes up with a cheaper version soon.
Pete
That is a pretty fair price..You will see the price drop once there is more 03 stuff around. The nice thing is that it is made by Bestop so the quaiity is awesome and it will last. I have had the same on for 3 yrs now from Mopar and it has not faded and even though it is for the 97-02 models it still fits and does the job. The money is in that header peice to which IMO is freaking awesome. Living in the road salt capital of the world I am very leary at drilling any holes in the body anywhere, especally the windshield frame..

Cheers

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I feel the same about drilling holes. I haven't mounted the aluminum extrusion that ties the bottom of the windscreen to the body. Not sure I will. I have been using it for a week and can't yet think of any advantage to fastening the bottom. I think the zipper may have eliminated the need.

Dan

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mike,

Is yours the Mopar version? It would be good for us all to know what brands are available with discounts and who they are actually manufactured by. I'm not sure if mine were manufactured by BesTop as LILRDJP suggests. He could be right, and, if so, I may have been able to get the same thing at a lower cost. $60 is a chiunk that could be used elsewhere.

Dan

·
Registered
467 Posts
yep - the mopar version. i tried to get the bestop retail version from quadratec, but it kept getting delayed so i cancelled and bought OEM. jparts usually has some VERY good deals on parts.

·
Registered
368 Posts
according to bestop -

they supply the fabric (sail cloth) for oem tops but do not do the manufacturing

also of note from what i can tell in small resolution pictures of the 03 bestop bikini top it does not cover the sound pods

·
Registered
368 Posts
sun bonnet storage

RubiDan -

how do you store the components when not on the vehicle?

can they be rolled up and easily stored in the back when the soft top is up?

BTW - Cancelled my order at quadratec. I will be ordering a mopar sunbonnet kit from jparts monday, $335.75 and only $4.50 shipping. Quadratec told me the windscreen is the same model as last year, so presumable no zipper and if they are changing it who knows when it will be released. Bestop really missed the boat on summer sales. Combined with the coverage for speaker pods and tinted windscreen window im sold. Thanks for the writeup, i guess mopar should be thanking you as well.

-ds

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
petesjeeprubi said:
Tigger said:
petesjeeprubi said:
anyone know how much just the bikini top would be with the header?
Pete
Man maby im just cheap but I remember paying 60-70 bucks for my bikini top for my YJ....geez...oh well
Pete
If you go the Bestop route is is less than $100. The $200 is for the Mopar setup.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Doc,

I have a window bag I purchased for my 1st Jeep (from Quadratec, don't remember the price... >$100). It is wide enough and long enough to fit a side window flat. It has 3 heavy felt separators, so, when storing windows, I lay the rear window out flat and cover it with a separator, place a side window on the separator and cover it with the next, add the other side and cover it with the last. Then I fold the exposed half of the rear window over the whole thing and zip it up. I have a new solution for my windows that came with the Mopar Boot (write-up coming soon). So I will use the window bag for the tonneau, windscreen and other items. Haven't figured out exactly how, yet. The sun bonnet has that bulky, inflexible header, so I will probably end up storing it with the soft top somehow.

Dan

·
Registered
368 Posts
dan,

i got that same bag, it does quite lay flat with the instatrunk unless i have cargo that height, but im sure ill figure something out

-ds

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Well seeing all this pics of bikini tops is making me jelous...i think im just going to puke up the money for the top...lol
Pete M

1 - 17 of 17 Posts