Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Product: Tops, Soft Top Boot
Manuf: Mopar
Part NO: 82208169 (Black), 82207730 (Khaki)
Source: Dealer
Price: $230.00

Parts and Pieces:

The soft top boot itself is a cover that wraps around the folded top, holding the top material in a neat package. There are three bags that come with the boot that are used to store the windows. The bags for the side windows attach by zipper to the boot and the bag for the rear window fits inside the boot's main compartment.

From the side...

View of the back...

With the side window bag removed...

With the bag in place...

Impressions:

Good: The boot does fit neatly around everything as you can see. I am particularly pleased with the window bags because they provide a compact way to store the windows whether the boot is in use or not.

Bad: I am concerned that the window bags may not offer protection from scratching. I am planning to get some felt to roll up in the window for added protection. After a few weeks use, I will post an update on this.

Ugly: Seems really pricey for the small amount of material, etc., but I didn't expect the window bags which I have already used without the boot for storage while travelling. A set of bags could be made very inexpensively, however.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Man the next time you take it off lay it out with a tape measure and shoot some picts.. My wife can just about make anything that has to do with sewing..

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
I agree it is a bit pricy....

230 dollars can buy lots of other things for my jeep that I will get more use out of.
Pete M

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I made the same investment and get way more use out of the window storage bags than the boot cover itself. While the cover looks very nice when installed and offers great protection from road and trail grime, it’s a pain in the ass to get on and off quickly. For instance, had it all packed nice and neat last night when the wife and I went out for an evening drive and bite to eat. Then the clouds rolled in and I was scrambling to get the top up and widows on in short order. Needles to say, I got a little wet.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Asmithc said:
For a good place to put the windows, try the Window roll. I purchased one a few weeks ago and like it a lot..gives me a good place to store the windows for long trips where i might need them. It works very well and gives good protection for the windows. Mesa 4x4 had the best price i could find.

http://www.mesa4x4.com/parts/clover_patch/cp-wndroll.html
Looks very handy and inexpensive!
:)

·
Registered
556 Posts
How easy do the rear quarters roll up with the plastic channel that attaches to the door surrounds??? And when unrolled are they hard to fit back into the door surrounds once they are bent?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I find the window bags extremely convenient. It is easy to roll them up. Each window has one stiff edge. I concentrate on rolling that edge tightly, then slip them into the bags. I carry automotive window cleaner and small terry cloth towels to clean the windows with before I remove them. I think this is a major factor in reducing scratching. IMO: If you can forego the boot cover, which I think we all agree is not essential, you could be just as well served with window bags made from the legs of your cast off jeans.

Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts