Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, Just installed Mopar Steering skid plates without any problems.

I was just getting started on the Mopar oil pan skid plates, when I noticed there's no place to bolt on the oil pan skid plate to the transferr case skid plate. Guess I could always drill holes on transfer case skid plate to make it all work.

Wondering if anyone's installed the Mopar Skid plates on their Rubi yet? I'm thinkin maybe they gave me the wrong part.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I don't think there is a official skid from mopar for the oil pan. If there is no holes it sounds like they forgot about that. Make it fit. A couple of hole in the pan is easier to do than replace the whole oil pan.

Welcome to JP's you always have to modify some part to make it fit. :)

G

·
0 Posts
Yeah, there is a Mopar oil pan skid for the 2003 Rubicon. I just installed one this past weekend. It is the one made by Warn that Mopar resells.

The instructions that I have show that two 5/16 holes need to be drilled on the front lip of the xfer skid. After drilling those two, the install went very easy. The skid plate seems very solid and covers the oil pan and tranny pan very well. The cross member now goes above the front driveshaft so I don't have to worry about it rubbing as it would have with the stock tranny skid.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guy's guess I'll have to pull out the drill and punch a few holes on the xfer skid.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
OH......... Good you hear... Is it the same as the older skid?

G

·
0 Posts
I'm not sure what the older skid looked like but I'd say yes if it was made by Warn. The instructions had sections for TJ-2002 and for 2003.

G

·
0 Posts
How much was the skid plate? I've seen it and was wondering about both the quality and the price....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I picked up my oil pan & Steering skid plate at the dealership for under $300.00 CND. So, for ya guy's down south that would be like $2

As mentioned above, oil pan skid is made by Warn and looks pretty beffy. It also looks like I'll be able to use it when I add a 3" lift.

G

·
0 Posts
tj_steve said:
Yeah, there is a Mopar oil pan skid for the 2003 Rubicon. I just installed one this past weekend. It is the one made by Warn that Mopar resells.

The instructions that I have show that two 5/16 holes need to be drilled on the front lip of the xfer skid. After drilling those two, the install went very easy. The skid plate seems very solid and covers the oil pan and tranny pan very well. The cross member now goes above the front driveshaft so I don't have to worry about it rubbing as it would have with the stock tranny skid.
Do you by chance have the part number?
TIA

G

·
0 Posts
I don't have the part number but you should be able to call your dealer and ask for the engine oil pan skid for a 2003 TJ. The price was right at $100.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I just found out that Mopar offers two different WARN engine skids; one for the 2.5L and one for the 4.0L. I accidentally got the 2.5L one for my last Jeep and it fit just fine. The only difference I can see is that the 2.5L skid is slightly longer.

Does anyone know of any other differences? Why wouldn't I use the longer one?

G

·
0 Posts
8) I had the Oil Pan Skid and Steering Box skid by Mopar on my 01 Sport. They were greta and the dealer installed them so they can take the heat if there was a problem. I will probably go with all Mopar Skids that can be installed when I get my new Rubi. I just need help deciding Auto vs. manual and why? PM me please on that topic. 8) 8)

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just installed the Warn engine skid on my Rubicon. $125. It's only 1/8" steel- not as good as the Skid Row engine Skid (3/16"). The mounting on the Warn plate is OK- it uses a truss between the inside edges of the rear lower LCA bolts. It covers eveything nicely. The truss goes up and over the front driveshaft. The previous Mopar engine skids went UNDER the front driveshaft and were only good for up to 1" of lift.

The Skid Row plate is just plain awesome- way better mounting and it's 7/16". But $125 for the Warn isn't bad at all.

A little tip for anyone who installs the new Warn engine skid- unbolt the front driveshaft from the pinion yoke and hang it out of the way. Assemble the engine skid truss and bolt the plate to it BEFORE you raise it up into place. The directions try to go around removing the front driveshaft from the pinion yoke, but it's WAY easier to do it that way.

G

·
0 Posts
Don't forget to mark the position of the front DS in relation to the pinion, and the u-joint straps. That way even if you do something stupid you can put it back together the right way.

Ron

·
Registered
75 Posts
PBR Stitch said:
Don't forget to mark the position of the front DS in relation to the pinion, and the u-joint straps. That way even if you do something stupid you can put it back together the right way.

Ron
That and use a little duct tape to hold the two exposed u-joint caps on.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi guys, I had the WARN engine skid installed before my trip to Paragon (April 2003) and it worked fantastic! I have a few pics of me crawling through some rocks and the skid took alot of abuse. It has only minor scratches, and is still straight as an arrow. I was high centered on it a couple times with no problem being scrapped off via another Jeep and a tow strap.

·
Registered
75 Posts
hacr said:
Hi guys, I had the WARN engine skid installed before my trip to Paragon (April 2003) and it worked fantastic! I have a few pics of me crawling through some rocks and the skid took alot of abuse. It has only minor scratches, and is still straight as an arrow. I was high centered on it a couple times with no problem being scrapped off via another Jeep and a tow strap.
Good to know- I guess it seemed flimsy compared to the Skid Row plate. I'll be high-centering my Rubicon this weekend and I'll see how well the Warn skid works then.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
hacr said:
I had the Warn skid on my 2k and I beat the Sh*$ out of it and I will be installing it on the Rubi now. Bent it once and just take if off and drive the JP over it and it was straight as an arrow again... :lol:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts