Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen the new issue of 4wd sport utility magazine? It has an air rubi with the stock side armor that has been modified by adding a rail. ..Im looking for closeups of this pics and possibly some drawings on how they mounted them.. They are made by tricounty gear..so I called them and basicly he told me for 400 dollars I can send him mine and he will make them for me.....Uhh..no....I am just going to get a friend of mine who fabricates stuff to make them for me...Im want to see how they did it.....let me know if anyone can help.
Pete

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I am currently doing drawing for that same set up. I have a buddy with a tube bender and we are going to make up a set.

I will post the drawing later this week. Then it is just a matter of a little grinding of the rocker guard and some welding. It should be very easy mod to make.

G

·
0 Posts
OUCH! For that price I would go with the set from AEV and get a little more protection. Then you could sell the old ones for a little $$.

Ron

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
I've considered replacing the stock diamond plate rocker skids with something else. I know that Poison Spyder Customs is making a replacement set with a slider bar, cost is around $270.

My plan at this point is to make my own rails out of rectangular tubing, and bolt it in. The tubing will be sacrificial and easy to replace, I plan on having it extend out almost as far as the fender flares.

When I do the skids I'll post pictures and instructions. It should be a fairly cheap modification.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I saw that article the tubes are very similar to these

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://community.webshots.com/user/drifterdave

that my friend will be making for my Rubi. The best part is that they are stronger - 3/16 and they will use all of the factory mounting plus a sandwhich mount to the body mount location. This adds tortional rigidity. i won't have to drill a whole bunch of holes in addition to the factory ones. If If I ever want to replace the factory ones I can just re and re them. My buddy has the templates made already. I'm sure they would come in at under $300 US. If anyone is interested they can call Clint at Serious Metal Fab 604 - 988 - 7761. Ps I don't make commision or anything, he just always helps me with my Jeep and I owe him.. :p

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
PBR Stitch said:
OUCH! For that price I would go with the set from AEV and get a little more protection. Then you could sell the old ones for a little $$.

Ron
I've had a pair of AEVs on order for over a month. They seem to be having a problem finding someone who can powdercoat their rockers. It's amazing, they can build a Brute, stretch a TJ to a 122" WB, but they cna't find a powdercoater? Something is wrong with this picture. Oh no, did I say picture?

Jerry

·
Registered
135 Posts
I just asked Clint @ Serious Metal Fab and these sliders will go for 289.00 US and they come powdercoated. They are very similar to AEV's SMF has been building them for a couple of years now, the Rubicon model is just the newest.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

G

·
0 Posts
Thanks Dave, I may give him a call once I get the money up. The thing I liked about the AEV's was the internal bracing. I can understand AEV's quest for a quality powdercoater. They were having some issues with the powdercoat coming off. It would be nice if they would just ship unpowdercoated. I'd rather hit it with a rattlecan and be able to touch it up later. And Yes Jerry you said pictures out loud again.

Ron

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hey stitch - price is with powder, less for uncoated/painted.. 8)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Any one make one that uses the factory holes. I would really not want to drill another set just yet.?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I saw that article the tubes are very similar to these

that my friend will be making for my Rubi. The best part is that they are stronger - 3/16 and they will use all of the factory mounting plus a sandwhich mount to the body mount location. This adds tortional rigidity. i won't have to drill a whole bunch of holes in addition to the factory ones. If If I ever want to replace the factory ones I can just re and re them. My buddy has the templates made already. I'm sure they would come in at under $300 US. If anyone is interested they can call Clint at Serious Metal Fab 604 - 988 - 7761. Ps I don't make commision or anything, he just always helps me with my Jeep and I owe him..

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
walc said:
I'm planning on buying these http://www.jeeperman.com/skidz/rock/index.html
,which don't require drilling or removal of the oem diamond plate guards.
Lee:

The Jeeperman skids will take you about 30 minutes to install. They are a very nice product. Be advised, if you are running a body lift, there will be a gap between the skids and the body.

Jerry

1 - 14 of 14 Posts