Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not my title, just reposting from an email I received today from Slavens Racing. Not a pretty picture if this comes to pass so I sent in my comments to the BLM and hope all who read this will also comment and share. Comment period closes next Monday April 26th, 2021, so do it now!

Hello Fellow Off-Road Enthusiast:

Once again our trails are under attack! I've been enjoying the Moab area for more than 40 years and I'm very angry at this latest attempt by elitist, self-entitled tree huggers to block motorized access to this area. The Moab area is a gem that can never be duplicated or replaced and should remain open to all types of motorized use. We contribute millions of dollars annually to the Moab area economy via the consumption of fuel, maintenance, food and lodging and our exit will devastate the local economy.

Please use the link below to provide a polite, unemotional comment that expresses your concerns. Threats, curse words and emotional comments will not promote our cause.

Please send in your comment NOW! Time is of the essence. Comments must be submitted by this coming Monday, April 26th.

Talking points for your comment submission:
  • Our positive financial impact on the local economy
  • Our volunteer work to build new trail systems
  • Our volunteer work to maintain and improve jeep roads, ATV and MC trails
  • Our financial contribution to the area trails via purchasing off-road stickers - millions of dollars annually - hikers and bicycle riders contribute nothing
  • Our right as taxpayers to use public land
  • How you, your family and friends use and enjoy the area
Regards,

Jeff Slavens

Motorized off-road enthusiast,

Our trails in Moab are being threatened! Southwest Utah Wilderness Alliance is trying to shutdown 330,000 acres of motorized recreation access in the Labyrinth Rims/Gemini Bridge Special Recreation Area outside of Moab. This includes every trail west of Highway 191 and north of town to the interstate. Affected trails include: Gemini Bridges, Rusty Nail, Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Golden Crack, Poison Spider, Monitor & Merimac, Seven Mile Rim, Bull Canyon, White Wash Dunes, 10 Mile Canyon, Bartlett, Tusher, Determination Towers, Mashed Potatoes, Secret Spire, Dubinky, 3D, Dead Cow, The Tubes, and all the atv/single-track surrounding the dunes.

Make your voice heard! Visit https://eplanning.blm.gov/eplanning-ui/project/2001224/510. Click the green box on the left that says "Participate Now" and then click on the green box on the right that says "Participate Now". Follow the submission process and urge the BLM to keep this wonderful area open. Submissions are open until 4/26/21. Please feel free to share this link to anyone who enjoys riding in the beauty that is Moab!

Slavens Racing

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Administrator
11,259 Posts
Good grief, those are some of the best trails in the Moab area. If the rock huggers win that fight, St. George is a pretty good alternative.

·
3,677 Posts
I've submitted my comments...they never stop going after trails

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bob, here's some more in-depth detail regarding the issue. As I understand it, if we as users don't identify trails on the Travel Management Plan that are missing, then those trails will be closed. Also, the video suggests that the SUWA wants to close the area to motorized travel as well as dispersed camping.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Bob, here's some more in-depth detail regarding the issue. As I understand it, if we as users don't identify trails on the Travel Management Plan that are missing, then those trails will be closed. Also, the video suggests that the SUWA wants to close the area to motorized travel as well as dispersed camping.

One of my clubs always donates well to the BlueRibbon Coalition and other organizations that actively engage in the system of trail management and government over-site to bring our side into the plan. Along with other club members have attended government run meetings about trail management and potentially closures to make sure I show support to off-roading.

I also have had the bad experience of having hunting grounds access closed off by the federal government in a mindless way by closing public access roads north of the Black Rock Desert to protect what they call conservation areas. And can't forget many trails I traveled as a youth in California are closed thanks to the USFS. I do know the issue. I do believe however that there are areas that need to be protected as the human population intrudes with capable machines.

The issue of protecting animal habitats is real and I think we can thank 4x4 quads and side by sides that can push far into sensitive areas with drivers that are oblivious to the damage and consequences they cause to have created the current storm to close public lands.

There is one thing that I'd like groups like the BRC to do and that is to create an education program to enlighten those that venture onto our public lands. That alone might help keep people from damaging the landscape and cool down the environmentalist that want to close everything.

Anyway a rant for sure, but we as outdoor enthusiast need to see that there is a problem and some governmental control is not a bad thing and more needs to be done on our side to enlightening off-roaders to understand that protecting habituate is as important for us as well as the environment in general.

Edit: Who would benefit the most by closing dispersed camping? Of course all the new hotels and motels and RV parks springing up in Moab! It's not alway the environmentalist that are wanting to control land use. Considering all the boon-docking in use north of Moab along 191 closing that area would be a very bad thing.

Moab 2021 Dropping into Salt Valley on the Baby Steps Trail from Klondike Bluffs

·
Registered
644 Posts
The Slavens Racing post seems bitter and flawed.
I have experienced trail closure and am experienced in the process.
The first thing off road enthusiasts need to do is stop degrading other users. The statement that bicycle riders and hikers contribute nothing is not the way to secure trail access. A better statement would be that we don't want to infringe on other users areas.
Moab's largest contributor to their economy is Arches NP. The amount of people and dollars it brings in would be staggering to count.

The Covid surge in off road will be felt for years to come. In Desert states the trail damage by new users, probably mostly side by sides, will end up getting areas closed by environmental groups. In wooded states I suspect illegal dumping and irresponsible camping will be the downfall.

What can we do to secure access? How can we take a non-confrontational approach to educate people we meet on the trail?

A area a few hours away from me has gated the access to off road areas. If you want in there you get your rig visually inspected so it is safe and not leaking. Then they give you a access code to the lock which is monitored for in and out activation. It is totally a big brother infringement but is better than a permanent shut down.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Moab's largest contributor to their economy is Arches NP. The amount of people and dollars it brings in would be staggering to count.
1.6 million visitors a year to Arches and going up rapidly every year. In recent years it's common to see very long lines of vehicles at the entrance. I've seen economic impact figures before but am too lazy to look for them now. At an average of $100 per though, 1.6 million is 160 million dollars. Family of four, two nights lodging, meals, fuel, trinkets - they'll spend more than that.

Don't forget Canyonlands, either - where I'll nearly always choose to go over Arches, personally.

To give just a bit of perspective on those visitation numbers... The Maze district of Canyonlands is one of my favorite attractions in the area. I've been going at least once and often two or three times a year for about 20 years now. Less than 20 years ago, annual visitors to The Maze was less than 500! Compare that to the current 1.6 million to Arches and it's just staggering. The Maze has grown exponentially more popular too, I think the last numbers I saw were around 10,000 visitors annual. Twenty times as many people as less than twenty years ago.

I've long grown disenchanted with Moab. It's just too freaking crowded and busy for my likes. With all the new hotels and infrastructure built in the last year alone, it's set for even more explosive growth in visitors. I'll be spending four days in the area week after next and plan to stop in Moab only for fuel. For a long time now though, it's been obvious that the city doesn't have much concern for any economic hammer that Jeepers might think they can wield. We could all go away completely tomorrow and except for some very specific individual businesses, to a large extent the city would simply breath a sigh of relief.

SUWA sucks. Period. I confront the 'ell out of them and feel good about it. They've been a presence in my life and way of life always. There's no working with them or compromising. Unless you always giving something up and them always taking it from you is your idea of compromise.

This particular row is standard fare. I did submit my comments last week. And encourage everyone to as well. But it's just a standard MVU mapping comment period, as part of a past settlement with SUWA. Unless I'm mistaken it's action required by the settlement of a previous suit, not threat of a new one? Don't think you can talk to those people and effect any consideration. Individuals may say stuff that sounds reasonable, the organizations track record speaks for itself though - they want us gone, period.

- DAA

·
Registered
38 Posts
1.6 million visitors a year to Arches and going up rapidly every year. In recent years it's common to see very long lines of vehicles at the entrance. I've seen economic impact figures before but am too lazy to look for them now. At an average of $100 per though, 1.6 million is 160 million dollars. Family of four, two nights lodging, meals, fuel, trinkets - they'll spend more than that.

Don't forget Canyonlands, either - where I'll nearly always choose to go over Arches, personally.

To give just a bit of perspective on those visitation numbers... The Maze district of Canyonlands is one of my favorite attractions in the area. I've been going at least once and often two or three times a year for about 20 years now. Less than 20 years ago, annual visitors to The Maze was less than 500! Compare that to the current 1.6 million to Arches and it's just staggering. The Maze has grown exponentially more popular too, I think the last numbers I saw were around 10,000 visitors annual. Twenty times as many people as less than twenty years ago.

I've long grown disenchanted with Moab. It's just too freaking crowded and busy for my likes. With all the new hotels and infrastructure built in the last year alone, it's set for even more explosive growth in visitors. I'll be spending four days in the area week after next and plan to stop in Moab only for fuel. For a long time now though, it's been obvious that the city doesn't have much concern for any economic hammer that Jeepers might think they can wield. We could all go away completely tomorrow and except for some very specific individual businesses, to a large extent the city would simply breath a sigh of relief.

SUWA sucks. Period. I confront the 'ell out of them and feel good about it. They've been a presence in my life and way of life always. There's no working with them or compromising. Unless you always giving something up and them always taking it from you is your idea of compromise.

This particular row is standard fare. I did submit my comments last week. And encourage everyone to as well. But it's just a standard MVU mapping comment period, as part of a past settlement with SUWA. Unless I'm mistaken it's action required by the settlement of a previous suit, not threat of a new one? Don't think you can talk to those people and effect any consideration. Individuals may say stuff that sounds reasonable, the organizations track record speaks for itself though - they want us gone, period.

- DAA
They will not listen to you...You have to use a different method to get their attention.

·
Registered
985 Posts
As the population grows and material interest sees that Moab is special it is doomed to commercial exploitation. We are going to have to share and except some control. Money interest are powerful.

Just like the native Americans and mountain men before us, as times change we become the ol' timers with the ol' stories of how it was.

My buddy on the Klondike trail Moab

·
Administrator
15,149 Posts
i will never forget when ...tour guy " not gonna mention his name "
he complained to the BLM i was bringing lots of people to Moab and killing his tour business
Sir in the fancy red white n blue Jeep can go fawck a cactus ...
ROF brought people together from all over the USA.

BLM told me ...it's a good thing you came in to talk to us...we were heading out to the trials to arrest you.
FacWK thèm and town of MOAB never appreciated the funds ROF members brought to the area.

trail closures in Southern Neveda are in the same situation

vent over.:cool:

·
3,677 Posts
I didn't know that's how BLM got involved. Glad we didn't have to get bail!

·
Administrator
15,149 Posts
I didn't know that's how BLM got involved. Glad we didn't have to get bail!
i had to keep some things on the quiet ...it was a "Chit Show"
I took the ROF complaint to the UTAH Attorney General and got his opinion we did nothing wrong.
It was a pleasure seeing the BLM eat crow ...:cool:

·
Administrator
11,259 Posts
I know the guy you are mentioning, he thinks he owns exclusive use of any trail in the Moab area.

Reactions: mac

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sadly, this is another of the you sue, we settle deals. They have the lawyers and they are well funded.

·
Premium Member
2,934 Posts
I still have the shirt, doesn’t fit tho...🤣

i will never forget when ...tour guy " not gonna mention his name "
he complained to the BLM i was bringing lots of people to Moab and killing his tour business
Sir in the fancy red white n blue Jeep can go fawck a cactus ...
ROF brought people together from all over the USA.

BLM told me ...it's a good thing you came in to talk to us...we were heading out to the trials to arrest you.
FacWK thèm and town of MOAB never appreciated the funds ROF members brought to the area.

trail closures in Southern Neveda are in the same situation

vent over.:cool:

·
Administrator
15,149 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts