Rubicon Owners Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
11,247 Posts
Flat Iron Mesa is nothing like Fins n Things, Hell's Revenge, 7 Mile Rim, and the others closer to Moab. The ones I mentioned have plenty of slick rock. Flat Iron is more desert-like than the others. 7 Mile Rim is my favorite trail for scenery and optional obstacles, I've led that one many times. Don't try that one alone, it's easy to get lost if you aren't familiar with the trail.

·
Registered
982 Posts
If you're out for a scenic run in Moab try Klondike Bluffs Trail, easy with a few moderate spots and then go over the top and take Baby Steps trail, moderate to difficult, down to Salt Valley road and get a free way into Arches National Park. This trail is north of Moab and drops back south into Arches. Access from the highway 191 north of the turn off to Canyonlands park. Note Baby Steps is not on the paper Moab North map but it is the only trail that goes over the top.

Lots of the Klondike Bluffs Trail is slick rock... if you see a circle of rocks like a campfire pit on the slick rock it is surrounding dinosaur tracks.

Baby Steps is a short section but gnarly, I wouldn't want to go up this so recommend making your loop with a down approach. Reason, loose big rock and steep.

Salt Valley road is graded and fast and goes right into Arches

The Loop: Starting north of Archview Camp Ground off highway 191 this loop makes for a fun and scenic 4x4 Moab trail with enough difficulty and scenic views to make this a comfortable day and a favorite trail and you will have enough time to drive through Arches and come out close to Moab, or from Balancing Rock in Arches take Willow Springs 4x4 road back to Archview.

·
Registered
982 Posts
John, Klondike Bluffs Trail is worthy of a visit and watch out for bicyclist. The map below shows the trail from 191 to Salt Valley Road. The off-shoot near the top is to a mine that I'm told has a lot of structures still intact. We didn't go there as we were expected to meet up with another Jeeper' in Salt Valley.
Instead of going into Arches Park you can take the Tower Arch Trail back to Willow Springs Road. I haven't done this trail yet and a sign for the trail at Willow Springs Road says to take it north to south because of challenging obstacles and a steep trail with sand and warns it is for capable 4x4's and experienced drivers only. I imagine this sign is a warning for the tourists that can drive from Arches in a passenger car to this point.

Not sure why the map is blurry my original is clear??? You can view the original here, Klondike Bluffs Trail

Klondike Bluffs Trail, Baby Steps Trail is at the top after the spur.

·
3,668 Posts
That looks like a great run. I'm adding this to my list of trails to run at Moab that I've not done.

·
1,818 Posts
I like using the less dramatic trails for relaxation. Secret Spire and Tusher Tunnel are also good. White Rim was good, but gets redundant. It didn’t help that there was a washout at one end, so to do the whole 60 mile trail, you had to do 120 miles of out and back. the trail is horseshoe shaped with access at each end. That 120 miles proved my wife to be a great Jeeper. It was all 8 mph of jostling.
White Rim

21 - 28 of 28 Posts