Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is nothing about ride or lift or axles, just $$$$$

I've got an 05 SWB Rubi auto. Probably just going to a 33" tire 12.5 wide
Comparing prices to stay with the factory 16" wheels with a spacer and pay more for tires. The cost of the 16" tire is about $40 more than a 15" tire, for the MT/R. Plus you have to buy a $50 wheel spacer per wheel to stay 16" wheel.
$90 more per wheel to stay with factory wheel.
Or buy 15" wheels for about the same $90 per wheel and sell the Moabs.
Probably the Mickey Thompson Classic II 15 X 8
What are you all doing for the wheel and tire comparison?

·
Registered
354 Posts
That's why I went with 255/85/16. No spacers, no new rims, no regrets.

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Chet said:
That's why I went with 255/85/16. No spacers, no new rims, no regrets.
Unfortunately every Jeep is different. I too am running the BFG MT 255/85/16, with my front axle centered perfect, and had rubbing at full lock on the LCA's, as well as bad rubbing on the swaybar, and rubbing the spring perch in the rear. Ended up going with Spydertrax spacers to resolve the issue. Very glad I did-these things work pretty good.

I LOVE the tire size though!!!

Best of Luck,

Mike

·
Registered
227 Posts
I love the look of the Moabs, but if I were to do it over again, I would buy aftermarket wheels. It makes tire choices much easier, and the tire prices are lower.

For what you can get for a set of Moab wheels (in good condition) you can buy a set of wheels. M/T would of course, require a few bucks out of your pocket too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I decided to stay 16" and keep the Moabs with spacers. I like the look of the Moabs on the Jeep
and decided to go with a 255/85 16 tire which is roughly 33.4 inches tall by 10 or so inches wide. This didn't really
require the need for spacers from what I've read, but I like the idea of the wider, more stable stance you'd get
from an aftermarket wheel with more offset, so I opted for the spacers.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I don't mind the looks of the Moabs, but I'm going 15s. I would have stayed with 16s if you could get them in 3.5 - 3.75" BS.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts