Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i finally got around to installing the B&M short throw shifter

all the hype is true, this thing is awesome

the install was relatively painless, sorry no pics - my girlfreind had the digicam

Removing the plate under the console covering the transimission inside the cab was a bit tedious. One screw (rear pass) attaching the inside rubber boot was blocked by a metal bar used to attach the console, being late on sunday and without a right angle attachment I just bent it out of the way. After the the shifter was bolted up to the tranny, I wasnt sure I was hitting all the gears - the throws are that short. I had to start her up and engage them to be be sure.

The only problem I have is the hammer head t-handle i bought with it doesnt fit. The shift knob is very close to the console. I have read elsewhere of people installing it backwards, as it will bolt up either way, but I definatley have mine on the right way.

I can just barely shift with out jamming my hands. I am hoping when I install 1" MML and 1.25" BL this week it will get better and not worse.

The results -

It requires more effort to shift, but each throw is rewarded with a solid click. The throws are extermely short, requiring just a flick of the wrist.
Definately more like a sports car than a truck, it reminds me af an honda/acura. I have regained use of both cup holders and more banging my passengers knees going into 5th.

The most amazing part - it has seemed to solidfy the whole drivetrain and some mysetrious noises had dissapeared.

I 100% recommend to any 5sp owner.

-ds

·
Registered
653 Posts
It was one of my first mods and i love it. :D

·
Registered
333 Posts
Where is the best place to purchase one of these? Been thinking of this mod myself!!
Thanx Chaz

·
Registered
556 Posts
I second that thought NoLight. WHat kind of cost and install time are we looking at?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
got mine at summitracing.com $164.95 w/ free ground shipping

http://store.summitracing.com/default.a ... &x=15&y=12

install was under an hour

all you need is some metric sockets 7,8 & 10mm a 3" & 6" extension, a flat head screwdriver and some silicone

once again folks the difference is night and day.

disclaimer - i am not a shareholder of B&M racing, have nothing to gain, but will pimp this thing till the cows come home

BTW - i think the rattle dissapeared when you turn the engine off and do not have clutch engaged.

-ds

·
Registered
340 Posts
Beg, borrow and buy a digital camera....I would be interested in seeing some installed photos.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i got a cam will take pix tonight or tomorrow, but i warn you:

it looks alot like the oem shifter. all you see is a few inches of brushed stainless steel, the rubber shift boot covers most of it and the internal rubber boot covers the blue billiet aluminum base.

but i will post what i can.

-ds

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hey doc did ya ever get those pics? I was wondering if you could take a pic fromt the side of the shifter in 1st gear. Would like to see how close it is to the dash!! Thanx Chaz

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey sorry been away from the computer for a while

ill work on those pics, but let me tell you its pretty tight, i usually need to grab the shift knob from the the sides in first rather than over the top, if that makes sense.

i am hpoing to get some free time this weekend to install a BL & MML which i think will take care of the tight clearances. I will pop the console off and take a slew of pix when i do it.

-ds

·
Registered
188 Posts
Pics would be sweet!!!!!

G

·
0 Posts
B&M Shifter

I have enough clearance on mine with 1" engine & Body Lift and running RE ED LA Suspension/Skid.

Shifter is definitly worth the money

Brian

1 - 14 of 14 Posts