Rubicon Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight the east coast is getting hammered with some serious nasty rain and some tornado's have dropped in my area. Thinking ahead, I took the Rubicon to work figuring it would be the best vehicle to have due to 4x4, AiROCK etc for trees, high water etc. But due to the MCAI. I almost did not make it home. Initially, I never made it out of the my office complex.
The rain was so severe that I felt like I almost hydro locked my engine. Within 1 mile, the jeep stalled 5 times, started blowing white smoke and luckily I was able to limp it under a highway underpass. Fortunately a fellow co-worker was still at work and was able to find a set of channel locks which allowed me to remove the tube connecting the Throttle body to the cowl

Once this piece was removed, The jeep ran fine and I was able to finish my drive home in the apocalypse. Basically I eliminated the possibility of the water getting sucked into the throttle body.
So I am curious what other owners of this kit do to prevent severe rain from becoming an issue. It's like it bounces off the windshield and then into the CAI. It's also compounded by the windshield wipers.

Just so you have some idea of the weather, this intersection is right next to my job and these people were not as fortunate as I was.

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
Here in Florida I have driven in some heavy rain without that problem, but could see the possibility.

If your Jeep was parked outside in a very heavy rain for and extended period and the drain from the plenum was clogged perhaps there was an accumulation that was ingested as the Jeep moved. At some point you would expect it to leak through the cabin air system if had gotten that bad.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea it was outside and in the rain for a while
Ill have to pop the cowl off and inspect the 2 filters under it when the sun comes up

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also
Does anyone have a set of instructions. Not sure I need them to check out the filters, but it would be good to have.
thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
Mine always took in some water. But I live in a very arid, desert climate. So it was never a big running issue like you had - but it would have been, in same kind of weather. After awhile though, the airbox under the cowl completely rotted away from the inside out. Even though, I rust treated it a couple of times. Then my issue was no filtration. I finally realized I HAD to get rid of the MCAI when I had a high idle issue. Took my throttle body off and found a juniper twig blocking the IAC valve open hahaha!

Ran straight factory again for awhile. Then just for grins I guess, put on a Banks. Same result as MCAI, just none of the problems.

- DAA

·
Sarcastic Moderator
14,269 Posts
Elff, I suspect it is not water getting in but water clogging the air filter and preventing air from getting to the engine. I would change the air filter with one that has better air flow. I mentioned to you to change it as I had the same problem. If you pull the cowl, you will see there are 2 filters, the air filter under the black hood vent which is a stock paper TJ air filter and a cone K&N filter inside the cowl. I removed the lower filter (bottom of cowl) to allow any water in the cowl to easily drain. I do not really see water being sucked into the engine since there is a cover over the cone filter that prevents water getting sucked in and there is a drain at the bottom of the cowl. During a torrential rain storm I had the same issue, towed it home and pulled the plugs thinking it hydrolocked, but the cylinders were completely dry. It was water sitting on the factory air filter and restricting air getting in.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Working from home today so I was able to take this apart
You are correct. The rectangular filter is completely water logged

The small oval K&N was a touch wet, but barely, and that could have been from me taking things apart and the metal housing around it would prevent water from directly hitting it

When I disconnected the long metal tube, last night, water did come out. So the engine must have eaten some and might have been pulling it from the soaked TJ paper filter.

My question is, even with an oiled rectangular filter, I can see this happening again. The jeep needs to be my go to vehicle for bad weather. Is there a way to lessen this if the Jeep is outside in the rain for an extended period of time before driving?

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon AEV
294 Posts
IMO, The cold air kits look and sound cool but don't provide enough or any advantages compared to having issues with water infiltration and more dust being ingested by the engine.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I almost wonder if running this without the second rectangular filter would be better and/or running it with a similar setup to the stock cowl which had a grate under the slots. That does not block water, but it prevents it from pouring into that area.
The paper filter is definitely a huge part of the issue in this case. I will say, without out the jeep ran waaaay better today with just the cone K&N

That aside this storm did drop almost 10" of water in our area in less than half a day, so we are talking about a very unique situation.

Some pictures for reference. This first one I had to drive through that shortly after I fixed the jeep

A damn the night of the storm

And this is what it normally looks like

Video of one of the Tornadoes

and last, this guys truck got hit by one of the tornadoes while he filmed it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One more comparison picture to show how insane the flooding was.
This is a brewery in Manyunk PA
Top pic half is before IDA, second is after IDA

·
Registered
05 Rubicon Sahara
2,667 Posts
This is why I reinstalled my stock air box. The ones who tried to drive through the water are like the ones here who are not intelligent enough not to drive through flooded streets. They think their four-foot tall car is going to make it through 2-3 foot of water. LOL They are lucky there was no current, they likely would have found their dead corpses. I have no sympathy, they are idiots! IMHO

·
Administrator
11,455 Posts
When I installed the supercharger on my former Rubi, I closed off the firewall hole that was for the MCAI and used it just as a cabin air filter - for that it worked very well.

Reactions: elff

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@Wildrat This suprised people as it really does not occur. The people in the first picture were most likely just trying to get home as there is a large Townhome and single home community behind that intersection and they were driving in not out. Their other choice would have been to stay out in the storm which lasted until a couple hours past midnight.
But I do agree. My Boss's Boss is one of those idiots. While i was waiting for my co-worker to bring me some tools, he just drove on by in his company BMW 8 Series and did not even stop to ask if I was ok. Turn out, he hydro locked the engine by trying to go through somewhere he should not have, and had an option to go around. He was in the middle of the water where he stalled reading the owners manual trying to see if he could bypass the engine shutdown. He is lucky he did not float away and then drown. He had to abandon the vehicle and have his wife pick him up. Then the idiot thought he could get the car out later on in the evening when the rain has died down a little, but still coming down. Translation Flooding was still increasing. They almost lost his wives car. From the way he described it, his wife almost threatened divorce to get him to turn back home.
So In his case it was karma

When I installed the supercharger on my former Rubi, I closed off the firewall hole that was for the MCAI and used it just as a cabin air filter - for that it worked very well.
Interesting, do you have any picture of that?
on my first Rubi, I ran like this for about 50,000 miles with zero issues.

I may use the MCAI components and do the same thing and then leverage your idea.
I guess i can call this a EHAI. Elff Hot Air Injection. That just sounds dirty. I'll have to ask the wife if she want some EHAI. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I do want to check to make sure the cowl drain is not clogged since it's easy enough to get in there without removing the entire cowl. I just need to remove 4 philips head screws to get in there now.

·
3,746 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ill look into that.
thanks!

·
Registered
05 Rubicon Sahara
2,667 Posts
I had a similar set up to this, before putting the stock air box back in with a better filter, no not a K&N or the like.
I also did not like the heat from the engine bay going in the intake. I put a piece of the metalized dryer duct on the intake to the air box, and ran it to one of the large holes forward of the air box for fresh, cooler air. Kinda like ram air.
I also need to clean my drain as well.
Someone who knows you passing you by is not good, they likely choose to look the other way, lol
It happens to me all the time when I'm riding. I have problems, and they just say: Oh, it's Mark, he can take care of himself. It's like today, I had a bike wreck, hit my right shoulder hard. The doc already want to replace it two years ago, he may get his chance now as I can hardly move it, and cannot lift anything heavy, like my glass of grape drink I spilled over me, and my recliner. LOL, It's bad! I walked to meet a group of riders. One 85-year-old man offered to drive me home. Since I'm hard-headed, I rode. LOL, I used my chest pack as a sling. It was murder getting on and off the bike.
Oh well, enough whining.

·
Super Moderator
2004 AiRubicon
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ouch, that sucks. As a partial Cyborg [2 Full Hip replacements], I feel for you. If it's not getting better, though, it may finally be time.

Getting back on topic, For those with the MCAI
Is the K&N filter a dry or oiled one? I still have a K&N recharge/cleaner kit. I can clean either type with it, just a matter of whether I should oil it once it drys.
Also, just for reference, what's the part number of the K&N?

·
Registered
05 Rubicon Sahara
2,667 Posts
Ouch, that sucks. As a partial Cyborg [2 Full Hip replacements], I feel for you. If it's not getting better, though, it may finally be time.

Getting back on topic, For those with the MCAI
Is the K&N filter a dry or oiled one? I still have a K&N recharge/cleaner kit. I can clean either type with it, just a matter of whether I should oil it once it drys.
Also, just for reference, what's the part number of the K&N?
K&N is an oil filter, it's what I got rid of. Yep, I have quite a bit of titanium throughout my bod, thanks to the government.

·
Administrator
11,455 Posts
..But I do agree. My Boss's Boss is one of those idiots. While i was waiting for my co-worker to bring me some tools, he just drove on by in his company BMW 8 Series and did not even stop to ask if I was ok. Turn out, he hydro locked the engine by trying to go through somewhere he should not have, and had an option to go around. ..
He sounds like a Grade A "I'm more important than anyone else" idiots.

One year we were wheeling in the San Juan mountains and there was the annual FJ rally in town. We came across a small group that drove up to Silver Lake (forgot what trail that was) and here's an FJ very close to the water's edge. This fool thought it would be fun to drive in the lake - karma strikes. He wound up in deep water and hydro-locked the engine. We reported him to the FJ organizer - maybe he's blacklisted.

Every year when there's heavy flooding in the San Antonio area (we get their local news) at least one person will bypass barricades to drive across a flooded low water crossing and drown. This is in spite of the constant "turn around, don't drown" advertising.

As far as the MCAI for cabin air - it's just the standard MCAI install but no plumbing past the firewall.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts