Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gurus,

The salesman who sold me my rubi made it sound like all routine maintenance must be done my an authorized dealer or warranty repair may not be covered. Is this true? If not, how do you properly fill out your maintenance log book to convincingly show you've done the work? I'd like to use my own synthetic fluids/high quality filters and such but am suspicious of bringing these items to the dealer to use. I might get back some empty containers but whether or not those products went into my jeep is another question. Thanks for the help. -JC

·
Administrator
15,116 Posts
thats what they want you to think!

save your reciepts and your fine.
i prefer to take my Jeeps to the dealer for one reason only.
repairs are easy`r to get on breakage if they know you.
so i consider it a small price to pay.

example i had rear Axle replaced after orig fact war expired.
totally shot ..had 4'' lift and 33'' tars.
they coverd it.. i had to pay for a few minor things but the main
part was on them.
so change my own oil....no way!!!!

:wink:

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
As mebtioned above, keep your receipts, if you buy oil and do it yourself or if you you take it somewhere. Just use the recommended fluids.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Like Mac said it's a lot easier to get the dealer to slide stuff through if they know you than it is if they don't. The dealer does all my fluid changes and we haven't had any problems with warranty. A little more up front pay's for it's self down the road.

Adam

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also agree with Mac. The dealership tolds me if I was going to do my own maintenance to buy the oil filter the day of the change (gives you a date to work with). Also said to document the mileage on the reciept.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
I subscribe to Macs line of thinking.
If you develop a relationship with the dealer, they are more likely to help you when something breaks vs someone they have never seen.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am with Mac. The dealer always works with me. Even gave me a free oil change just because.

Dan

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After what I did to mine today, I don't want to take it into the dealer until I figure out exactly everything that I screwed up. Yes there is a story behind this, but no pics at the moment. I do have video that I need to convert though.

Ron

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
I'll bite, so what did you break Ron?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A whole lot less than what I originally thought or looked like I did. I was climbing out of the river up a muddy bank that had been wallowed out by the big boys, I was pretty certain I wasn't going to make it and winching would be a pain, but I tried. Unknown and hidden underwater was a stump and roots, this is what stopped me. Well when I backed up, I hooked the tailpipe into the roots and then proceeded to bend the tailpipe. Now if it would have been regular metal it would have crushed and bent, no it's stainless steel. I put 1 point on the axle, 1 on the rear shock and bent it right above the axle. It looks a lot worse than it is. Tail pipe only shows the bend and a little dent in its tip. Shock looks the worse, 3 dents and a real big scrape. Everything still works so today I'll take it ans see if I can get it rebent, or replaced. I'm going to give the dealer a holler to see who they recommend. Keeps me in good with them when I do things with people they recommend. I did that once and when I got there the shop gave me the dealer price on the job. Seems the service manager gave them a call that I was headed over and to give me a good price. All the more reason to know your service department guys.

Ron

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
PBR Stitch said:
A whole lot less than what I originally thought or looked like I did. I was climbing out of the river up a muddy bank that had been wallowed out by the big boys, I was pretty certain I wasn't going to make it and winching would be a pain, but I tried. Unknown and hidden underwater was a stump and roots, this is what stopped me. Well when I backed up, I hooked the tailpipe into the roots and then proceeded to bend the tailpipe. Now if it would have been regular metal it would have crushed and bent, no it's stainless steel. I put 1 point on the axle, 1 on the rear shock and bent it right above the axle. It looks a lot worse than it is. Tail pipe only shows the bend and a little dent in its tip. Shock looks the worse, 3 dents and a real big scrape. Everything still works so today I'll take it ans see if I can get it rebent, or replaced. I'm going to give the dealer a holler to see who they recommend. Keeps me in good with them when I do things with people they recommend. I did that once and when I got there the shop gave me the dealer price on the job. Seems the service manager gave them a call that I was headed over and to give me a good price. All the more reason to know your service department guys.

Ron

OUTCH........Pics:::???

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
My dealer told me to simply write down the mileage and date in the maintenance book when I did the maintenance and I would not have a single issue with them servicing my rubi.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I work In Gallup, NM, and live in Albuquerque where I bought the car. Often as not, I am in Gallup when the car is due for service. I asked the dealer about having it serviced in Gallup and was encouraged to have the warranty booklet filled out wheneveer I had it serviced. Apparently, that makes it easier for them to honor warranty claims.

Dan

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
Ron, the old muffler/tailpipe issue. I have destroyed the tailpipes on both my TJ Sport and TJR. The second time was worse tho. I ripped it backwards then it stuck the side of my MTR ruining it and later down the trail it ripped my shock off. It's a cheap mod when you buy a TJ to hack off the tailpipe to just above the axle so that it's out of harm's way. :roll:

·
Registered
628 Posts
That hurts Ron:x But it could have been worse!

Adam

1 - 15 of 15 Posts