Rubicon Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that the Lady finally is allowing me to boost the Rubi up a lil (we took a nasty hill Sunday and kept bottoming out on the very top ridge and had to backall the way down 3x's b4 I gave up... and she was more PO'd we didn't make it then I was! What a Gal!), I would like to know if I should just go with a 2" BB, and what brand... Keep this in mind... Santa I am positive will be delivering me some 33's for Xmas. Is a 2"BB enough for clearance? Do I need to do anything besides the BB?

So... in summary two questions here...
1) Who's 2" BB would y'all recommend and is everything needed included (please supply links if possible).. plus are there any issues with the BB ie: Vibration etc.

2) Is a 2" BB good enough to throw 33's on or do I need to a a BL Too... just want to avoid the troubles a 1-1.25"BL brings ( shifter probs, fan Guard etc) I know I'll haveta get a new Rear Bumper w/carrier too... so I want to save wherever I can on $$$ w/o saving on quality.

Keep in mind this is a daily driver too.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I ran the BB from Rubicon Express and was very happy with it. But I don't think a BB will be enough for 33's you will probably have to do a BL, My Daystar should be here this week but JKS gives you an extra .25".Good Luck

Adam

·
Registered
188 Posts
I went RE BB, with OME shocks, Also went Daystar BL. Fits 33

·
Premium Member
3,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NomadJeep said:
I went RE BB, with OME shocks, Also went Daystar BL. Fits 33
What did you do to handle the Shifter probs after the BL?

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have the Daystar 1.75" spacers on now with 285s. The rubbing under flex is very minor. When it really rubs is when you hit any whoops. straight up axle movement causes the tires to rub on the lip of the flares. When flexing they tuck inside. I would not recommend this setup. It might be fine with the BL but I hit the dunes too often with speed and need the extra clearance. The 3.5" springs and all the other stuff are going on before my next outing.

If you are trying to save money get the spacers not in a kit, I got mine for under $80 from 4wheelparts. Find a deal on the shocks you want for a 2" lift or maybe 2"-4" lift that way if you decide to go higher you wont have to change them again. Then get the BL/MML. I think the bumpstops are fine on the Rubi for the 33s under slow stuff but for speed stuff like I some times do in the desert they are not long enough. I plan on using some aircraft adhesive to glue a hockey puck to the bottom perch or what ever it is called. Did it on my 98' and never lost one in over 4 years.

Matt

G

·
0 Posts
I just put on a JKS 1.25 inch body lift and a 2" BB. I also put on the cheap m/m lift blocks so I wouldn't have to worry about the fan clearance. I am running the stock tires. I belived 33's would fit just fine, but maybe have a little rubbing under full flex with the sway bars disconnected.

As for the shifter (5 speed), I had problems going into 2nd, 4th and alot of trouble staying in reverse. I removed the shifter (one torx bolt, very easy), put it in a vice and heated it up. I then bent if about a half inch. It now works perfect and doesn't contact the console.

I am very happy with the lift so far. The price of the B/B, M/M lift blocks, body lift and JKS disconnects was alot less then the 3" lift I put on my 98TJ.

Hope that helps...

CHris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts